wadded up my CTX1300

rckrzy1

I went from triumph sport bikes to a honda ctx1300 . I was wanting something that would tour from TX to CO and handle twisties. Yesterday on the twisted sisters in TX hill country I exceeded the CTX 1300 ability to handle twisties, I was dragging pegs for a 1.5 days when finally a tight 90 after a bridge I was beyond dragging and it lifted rear and low sided until I ran off road were it high sided and spit me off but I used my lower right back to bend handlebars and my back is giant black and blue. I road that bike 250 miles back home but it's a total.

I went to DFW honda were I know GM and he pointed me to a VFr800 and I like the fit and look. I want the DLX for ABS and TC and heated grips plus center stand. I'm gonna test ride it tomorrow but I'm sure I'll want it. I'm 50 something but I like leaning alot. I don't think the VFR will pose the same issues as it looks to be more sport. I am doing colorado in July so will need side bags atleast. So I do agree I like a V4 but the CTX1300 was a dog in power so hopefully tomorrows test ride will prove the 800 is capable to pull the front wheel up a bit.

Will I need to disable TC to pull front up ?

Yes you will...just push and hold the TC button for a few seconds.  And I can confirm after 18000 miles of canyon carving in Colorado, the VFR loves twisties!!

• Member Contributer

First thing I do after thumbing the starter button is turn off the TC.

I can recall as many situations that ABS has saved my ass or someone else's, as I can recall situations where the TC has endangered me or been useless.

A shame about your CTX.  If I would ever buy a cruiser, that would be the one I'd buy.

OK , took the vfr800 for an hour yest ride. I am very happy with the bike. I am pretty sure I need to lower the pegs, I found them too high for my taste. AND will get that block to raise my bars a bit. I like the ride and it's nimbleness. I like the dash layout, it works well. I hope there is an after market wind screen add on for long trips. For around town the wind is fine but for a 500 mile hwy ride I'd like a little rest from the wind.

I really enjoy the VTEC kicking in, it's like hitting NOS in a car. I think the exhaust note could be louder but that is an easy fix. The trans shifts better than any bike I have ever owned. Never a false N or missed shift even though my feet are used to peg location.

If I could own 2-3 bikes I would but I only have room for 1 so I need a do it all bike as best as possible. I also looked real hard at a FJR1300ES , the gadgets like electronic ride height are just sick, plus adjustable wind screen, cruise control etc but the darn weight is just too much for my skinny body, plus the price is twice.

So as soon as ins cuts me a check I'll be picking up the interceptor.

I did 500 miles last Saturday getting to those same roads, riding them, and getting back to the hotel. I never challenged the bike's capabilities, but I was wishing the seat were a bit softer.

11 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

I did 500 miles last Saturday getting to those same roads, riding them, and getting back to the hotel. I never challenged the bike's capabilities, but I was wishing the seat were a bit softer.

I have an air bag seat, can't remember brand but it's the big name one. I can take it on trips. I have a custom Laam seat on ctx1300 and it was perfect, may get another.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear about your CTX!  You will probably love the VFR though.  You asked about aftermarket windscreens - check out the Puig on VFR Dave's bike as seen in this vid - it looks really nice and might be exactly what you're looking for - I might get one myself:

• Member Contributer
On 4/28/2017 at 4:35 PM, rckrzy1 said:

OK , took the vfr800 for an hour yest ride. I am very happy with the bike. I am pretty sure I need to lower the pegs, I found them too high for my taste. AND will get that block to raise my bars a bit. I like the ride and it's nimbleness. I like the dash layout, it works well. I hope there is an after market wind screen add on for long trips. For around town the wind is fine but for a 500 mile hwy ride I'd like a little rest from the wind.

With your proclivity to knee/peg dragging you might wait a bit on the peg lowering or find yourself in the same predicament, albeit not nearly the cornering apathy of a cruiser.  Your clip on bars should already be near the top of the fork tubes if your bike is set up stock unless they changed it for the 8th gen?  Heli bars or similar are the fix...

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, 2thdr said:

With your proclivity to knee/peg dragging you might wait a bit on the peg lowering or find yourself in the same predicament, albeit not nearly the cornering apathy of a cruiser.  Your clip on bars should already be near the top of the fork tubes if your bike is set up stock unless they changed it for the 8th gen?  Heli bars or similar are the fix...

He was probably referring to getting the "handlebar riser plate" that Honda sells for the 8th gens (or the bigger ones that motopumps make):

http://powersports.honda.com/2015/interceptor/accessories.aspx

Ok, BIG question, White or Red 2014 ? Dealerships around me have both. I had a red CTX but red like the vfr seems to attract police , and I've never had a white bike so not sure how the white would look after it gets dirty ? Would be more visible in white. But red looks good.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. Be careful. This place can become addictive. So can riding VFRs.

Then consider attending some of the VFRD meet ups. I've met some Texans at the Colorado tri-annual. (Turns out they and really nice peeps. :goofy:) There is one in the works for next year. There is an annual gathering in North Carolina in May and one in Arkansas in the fall and I had a great time at the Pacific Northwest ho down last summer in British Columbia.  

Check them all out in the VFRD Major Events threads.

We'd love to meet and ride and party with you.  

• Member Contributer

Ah yes - the old red v. white conundrum - reminds me of the Ginger v. Maryanne debate - LOL.  DriverDave's photos don't help any IMO because they both look utterly fantastic in his photos - just makes the problem worse!  I almost got a red one - I thought I wanted white at first but there was a lightly used red one at a dealer near me that let me take it for a test ride - but they weren't willing to negotiate their price very much. I ended up with white and am very happy with it - gets tons of compliments from random strangers.

Oh, yeah, the compliments. I get a lot of compliments at work about how clean and nice my bike is, just plain white. It's a crowd pleaser and stands out.

On the issue of lower footpegs and dragging while leaned, on my 7th gen I switched to Buell pegs. They gave me at least an inch more room but the feelers point far enough out that the distance from ground level is the same as OEM. All I had to do to get them to fit was grind off about 1/16th of an inch in the thickness and add a bushing for the pin to support it properly. I am sure this could be done for the 6th/8th gen.

If I remember correctly, the pair of pegs were only $45.

On the issue of lower footpegs and dragging while leaned, on my 7th gen I switched to Buell pegs. They gave me at least an inch more room but the feelers point far enough out that the distance from ground level is the same as OEM. All I had to do to get them to fit was grind off about 1/16th of an inch in the thickness and add a bushing for the pin to support it properly. I am sure this could be done for the 6th/8th gen.

If I remember correctly, the pair of pegs were only $45.

edit - 

Found the original thread! And I was even done on a 6th gen.

After a few more miles I was figuring out the pegs , I got to the point of not looking for them at every stop, just need some muscle memory for the diff location.

After 1-2 miles I found myself swerving around traffic , could not help myself. It felt like the VFR knew what I wanted to do before I did . Hard to explain, I guess you ride around a heavy pig for a while and this VFR feels so much easier to ride. I just could not get wife to let me bring it into the house to play with it some more.

I was hunting for a location to feed my power to my tank bag and noticed the ALUM frame sure holds alot of heat from the bike. That I have not seen on any other bike, usually the frame is room temp. I guess the enclosed motor transfers alot of heat ?

Archived