Anybody Use a Nitron rear shock?

FairWeatherFellow

Question

I've been looking around at rear shock options for some time now. Obvious choice is a Ohlins or Penske...but i want a 3 way adjustable and i don't have $1,200 to $1,500 laying around. Anybody use the Nitron or know anybody who has? Whats your input on it? The point I'm at is anything is better than stock, I'm really starting to notice how poorly my rear shock handles, and the fact that big bumps are actually hurting now.

Also has anyone heard about these guys? http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/

They have a revalved and resprung 929 rear shock with an adapter for $420.... sounds like a smashing deal to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

17 answers to this question

1 hour ago, thtanner said:

"Has anyone heard about these guys" hahahaha :happy:

DMR is the king of VFR suspensions. I'd go that route.

59 minutes ago, Bret said:

Agreed. Just bought this setup last month. Very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome, thank you gentlemen! I hadn't heard they're name mentioned before even with digging through lots of rear shock threads. Appreciate the feedback.

• Member Contributer

I have Nitron rear shocks on my 6th Gen. An excellent shock, quality build and flexible choice of types with prices to match. Much better than stock.

Happily recommend them.

• Member Contributer

Nitron out back, DMr up front here.  Came from a 929 rear and I did notice an improvement in ride quality.  There might be more benefits near the limit but my riding almost never takes me there.

I went through Pro Pilot suspension.  They are predominantly an Ohlins dealer, but they sell just about everything.  After discussing with Jim the features and construction available on the Ohlins and Nitron units for the 5th gens, the Nitron seemed to be nearly equal for about 30% less cash.  Now might be a good time to look at Nitron with the current GBP to USD exchange rate.  Might be cheaper than when I bought mine in 2015.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, FairWeatherFellow said:

They have a revalved and resprung 929 rear shock with an adapter for $420.... sounds like a smashing deal to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

:laugh:

Look at this VFRD member profile: 

Jamie Daugherty

• Member Contributer

I've had one for 4.5 years & 12,000 miles, it's still perfect. I have the race unit with remote reservoir, that is 5 way adjustable.

1-Preload

2-Length

3-High speed compression

4-Low speed compression

5-Rebound

It was built for my bike, my weight & my intended riding style, i.e. fast road riding.  It works beautifully, I have toured all over Europe in some hot days with no fading. It did a track day last year after returning from Europe on a 33c day, which is rare in the UK, it coped better than me or the rest of the bike, with no fading or loss of damping !

I can highly recommend them.

• Member Contributer

I got one for my 5th gen a while ago, but it is not yet mounted.  Beautiful piece of work, I agree.  The remote reservoir has ultra-trick swivel banjos--I wish my 3rd gen's Ohlins had that--makes fitting the shock easy.  (In order to mount in a particular location I have to change the angle of the banjo on my Ohlins, which means a nitrogen re-fill...)

Ciao,

Daugherty Motorsports all the way.  I cannot say enough good things about the work he did for my VFR.  It rides better than my friends brand new bikes (FJR, C14, VFR etc).  Like its on rails.  I like supporting local business.  And knowing its crafted by hand and with care vs mass production is worth it.  Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for all the input you guys. I looked over pricing for the nitron and it seems to not be as cheap as I remember seeing it. It may not have the adjustability I was looking for but I believe the 929 shock will be exactly what I'm looking for, so I'll go that route.

Thanks, Miles

• Member Contributer

I'm running a Nitron 5 way on my 6th Gen same as Mohawk.

Had an Ohlins and it was OK but the Nitron is better and Ohlins still have not been able to come up with a good high speed valving setup.

Even on the TTX there is no High Speed.

I'd go with Nitron all the time.

We have Nitron cartridges in our SuperSport MV Agusta F3 and again better than 30mm Ohlins 

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, HighSideNZ said:

I'm running a Nitron 5 way on my 6th Gen same as Mohawk.

Had an Ohlins and it was OK but the Nitron is better and Ohlins still have not been able to come up with a good high speed valving setup.

Even on the TTX there is no High Speed.

I'd go with Nitron all the time.

We have Nitron cartridges in our SuperSport MV Agusta F3 and again better than 30mm Ohlins 

The 5 way race unit must be a special order for the viffers as they don't advertise it as an option, do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it? Pics?

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, boOZZIE said:

The 5 way race unit must be a special order for the viffers as they don't advertise it as an option, do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it? Pics?

The 5 way unit is the R3.  Currently advertised at 1075 USD from revzilla, but can be had for a bit less from other retailers.  Ymmv in Australia.

The difference between the R3 and the Race Pro is the damper unit itself: 46mm piston w/ 16mm rod vs 40mm piston w/ 14mm rod.  The adjustments are all the same.

And these are virtually all "special orders", expect a wait time after ordering your shock while Nitron builds it to suit your weight and riding style.

• Member Contributer

Ah , I did look at the r3 on their site but the short description stated 3 way, referring to the damping , not total adjustability (my mistake)

Would the race pro unit even fit on the viffer, given its design?

• Member Contributer

It's 5 way adjustable by what mohawk said above.

3 adjustments to dampening + preload + overall length.  Most people would call it 3 way, but technically it is 5.

IDK if the race unit would fit, the reservoir can be remote or piggyback but I'm not sure if the VFR attachment points can be put on their bigger shock.  I think Ohlins made a 46mm shock for the 5th gen at one time, not sure if they still do.

On 4/26/2017 at 6:43 PM, FairWeatherFellow said:

Jamie has been part of the VFR scene since the late 1990s, maybe earlier.

I just received my Daugherty Motorsports 929 shock plus fork cartridge and spring package last week, and it looks great.  Lots of work to do on the VFR this winter and I can't wait for spring!

Archived