Tarnished Windscreen - Options to attempt repair?

Ohlias

Question

Hello

When storing the bike at the end of the season last year, I got gasoline all over my windscreen and it has left a white residue all over the outside facing surface*

*If you must know, I had just finished cleaning the bike and adding stabiliser to the fuel when I notices some water running down the fairing and tank. I quickly shot some compressed air and accidentally blew air into the open gas tank which caused some some to spray out. Even though I cleaned it right away, the windscreen is stained. 

I've tried to clean it off to an avail. I have already ordered a PowerBronze replacement, but once the damaged unit is out, was thinking I would fool around with trying to make it better. Any ideas on what I could do? I know I could paint the inside, but I am not sure this will look good with the cloudy outside...

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Hard work and elbow grease I am afraid.

I have had some success with rubbing screens down. Using 2000 grit and then up to 3000 grit with plenty of water,

(I did one in the bath under the tap but don't tell the wife!) 

After that polish it up with plastic polish like Xeropol. normally used to polish plastic headlights.

It won't come up gleaming at first attempt but after about the third application it is usually OK.

Archived