Cage vs Sliders

• Member Contributer

I am pretty sure a lot of the attitude OP is seeing is reactionary to his.

Good luck with the cage, and do post pictures. As long as it doesn't affect lean angle I don't see any harm done. Just make sure mounting points are chosen wisely, as some crash sliders will damage VFR frames during a crash (where just landing on the plastics, aside from aesthetic, the bike would be fine.)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
5 hours ago, itallbecomesu said:

Yep, this does seem to be full of crotchety old sods. Oh and don't worry, I'm done with the trolls and ignorance here. I'll contribute & ask questions regardless of the noise I encounter. I guess I did get the feedback about my original post, a resounding no in the community haha.

Well, I'm building & installing a "cage" (bring on the hate I guess) that will properly protect my VFR. Those of you who don't like it, well you don't have to. To those of you who find this project interesting, stay tuned.

Thanks for the positive responses, as for the rest of you....get over yourselves.

Best of luck with your build. 

Im still waiting to see if you can post up some examples of what you are talking about.  For a person not familiar with crash cages and wishing some edification  I asked if you could show me some examples on sports bikes.  But I see you are the  refusing to help out here.  Can you show me a few please?   

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, fink said:

.  Can you show me a few please?   

Should be easy to do, they are a very common accessory for sports bikes.

Allegedly.

These crash bars are a seriously bad idea. I'm not going to get into the crash bars V sliders or suitability for a sports tourer debate. I'm looking from a steel fabrication/engineering point of view. I happen to work for a welding suppler and have my C.A.S.T certificate in Mech engineering.

These bar's have not been engineered. They are a classic case of a back yarder slap together. There are fundamental flaws with the design.

1). The bottom mount is via a long flat strap and bolted to an alloy lug. (the foot peg bracket mount. That will likely twist anit clockwise and upwards and snap the alloy lug clean off on a drop. It'll have plenty of leverage from the crash bars flat mounting plate to do that.

2). The upper mount with the rubber foot on it is rigid fixed to the bar. Again, if you drop the bike, the lower bar will be forced upwards and twist ant clockwise on this point, which it has excellent leverage to twist this mount. I'm not sure what it is fixed to take an guess at what would break first at this point. Hopefully the crash bar and not part of the alloy frame.

3). The engine mounting point again is poorly done. It's fixed to a flap bar that is angled to favour the expected direction of force, an anti clockwise and upwards twist, not oppose it. If you drop the bike, the whole crash bar will be pushed upwards and twist flat . The crash bar will likely spin on this bolt as the other two mounting points fail.

Try to picture grabbing the crash bar at the lower point and pushing upwards with force. The whole bar is designed to bend/twist with that direction of force instead of opposing it. Basically, the whole thing has been designed by a back yarder.

As for modifying this bar further, bad idea. Your only salvation is a connecting bar that goes under the bike and supports the two lower rungs of the crash bar and then pinning that centrally on the bike somehow which I highly doubt would be possible, perhaps back to the centre stand mounting points. But even then, the whole bar will be weaker than one that was designed correctly from the beginning.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Audible said:

These crash bars are a seriously bad idea. I'm not going to get into the crash bars V sliders or suitability for a sports tourer debate. I'm looking from a steel fabrication/engineering point of view. I happen to work for a welding suppler and have my C.A.S.T certificate in Mech engineering.

These bar's have not been engineered. They are a classic case of a back yarder slap together. There are fundamental flaws with the design.

1). The bottom mount is via a long flat strap and bolted to an alloy lug. (the foot peg bracket mount. That will likely twist anit clockwise and upwards and snap the alloy lug clean off on a drop. It'll have plenty of leverage from the crash bars flat mounting plate to do that.

2). The upper mount with the rubber foot on it is rigid fixed to the bar. Again, if you drop the bike, the lower bar will be forced upwards and twist ant clockwise on this point, which it has excellent leverage to twist this mount. I'm not sure what it is fixed to take an guess at what would break first at this point. Hopefully the crash bar and not part of the alloy frame.

3). The engine mounting point again is poorly done. It's fixed to a flap bar that is angled to favour the expected direction of force, an anti clockwise and upwards twist, not oppose it. If you drop the bike, the whole crash bar will be pushed upwards and twist flat . The crash bar will likely spin on this bolt as the other two mounting points fail.

Try to picture grabbing the crash bar at the lower point and pushing upwards with force. The whole bar is designed to bend/twist with that direction of force instead of opposing it. Basically, the whole thing has been designed by a back yarder.

As for modifying this bar further, bad idea. Your only salvation is a connecting bar that goes under the bike and supports the two lower rungs of the crash bar and then pinning that centrally on the bike somehow which I highly doubt would be possible, perhaps back to the centre stand mounting points. But even then, the whole bar will be weaker than one that was designed correctly from the beginning.

Nicely put. I do hope that you are now categorised as a crotchety old sod by the OP.  Nice to hear someone more qualified than I confirming my thoughts on the Eastern European work.    

Archived