Cage vs Sliders

• Member Contributer

If a well-made, attractive set of highway bars/cage was made for the VFR1200, I'd absolutely consider them.  As a life-long rider who has had a couple of "oops" moments over the years, I can tell you from experience that even the absolute best of frame sliders do very little to protect your bike in a crash situation.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Half you guys aren't even reading op's full posts. I like the idea of a cage. Yes, it'll cover up the plastic. But who cares, if you wanted a pretty bike, you could get a Ducati. The Russian ones look less in the way of your shins than t Rex are anyway. You do you, man. I'm looking forward to pics. 

2 hours ago, Rsparky said:

Half you guys aren't even reading op's full posts. I like the idea of a cage. Yes, it'll cover up the plastic. But who cares, if you wanted a pretty bike, you could get a Ducati. The Russian ones look less in the way of your shins than t Rex are anyway. You do you, man. I'm looking forward to pics. 

Exactly my point, thank you. 

5 hours ago, Shinigami said:

Where is it a "very common accessory for super sports?"

I've seen these on police bikes, but never on a super sport.

I'm sorry you don't see them, but that doesn't make it false. Thanks

5 hours ago, Nelix said:

Fake news.

Nelix, please back up that statement with any facts at all and I will happily listen.

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, itallbecomesu said:

Nelix, please back up that statement with any facts at all and I will happily listen.

They're not common for super sports.

They're common for stunters. Big difference. 

If you feel you're dropping your bike enough to warrant it, go for it. I just keep my bike upright...

22 minutes ago, thtanner said:

They're not common for super sports.

They're common for stunters. Big difference. 

If you feel you're dropping your bike enough to warrant it, go for it. I just keep my bike upright...

Again, stunt and highway cages are very different, but that would require you to actually read the posts instead of just commenting blindly. I'm finding this group to be full of ignorance, and you are certainly exemplifying that fact.

• Member Contributer

I went back and read your original post and this whole thread.  I tried to find an example of a "highway cage"...what I've seen, and what I've found for sale from various sites are engine crash protection in a few forms.  First, crash bars/bungs that most of us who ride on the street, on the track use or have seen used--I've had these on my 1998, and DO NOT have them on my 2000.  Next, if you own a Harley, you see various forms of extensions or cages or highway bars you can add and yep they help in a tip over---keep your chrome shiny, not scratched.  Someone posted the example of the Africa Twin (SWMotech) as example of crash bars for Adventure bikes--and are very common on adventure bikes.  I've also seen various crash bar setups (guards and full cages) for folks who like to stunt or want the extra protection--that IS common and they are most common for supersports...but doing a search for crash protection cages it comes up MOST common for sites tailoring their business to stunters.  I don't see a lot of supersport "cages" for supersport touring...or for VFR's...its NOT common for VFR's because they aren't a big draw for stunting, and because IMO "highway cages" aren't used by people sport-touring.  They ARE used by stunters and ADV bikes quite a bit...

Not sure why we are all "ignorant" on this...I've been around the block a few times on a bike, I love to learn about gear, and I have friends who ride Harleys, dirtbikes, stuntbikes, who race WERA so I see quite a bit...

Maybe it's "termnology" that is keeping the understanding apart, but if I can see more "supersport highway cages" or even find a hit on a google search for "highway cage" when combined with motorcycle or supersport, well, i'm teachable...and not too hard headed.

You asked if anyone had run them on a VFR (resounding NO so far--people have run crash bobbins/bungs) and what people think about them.  It seems to me that some people think they'd be good for protecting the bike, some people think they are for stunters/stuntbikes, some people think they are ugly, some people think they would "hang up" and mess the bike up more than crash bungs...you asked for opinions--I see a lot of opinions.

I hope more people chime in and share if they like them--or especially if they've tried a "full cage" or not...variety is the spice of life.  BUT, just because someome calls them stunt-bars, doesn't make them "ignorant"...it makes them accurate IMO in this case.  As for their opinion if they lke them or not, well you asked for it.   Personally, I'd like them on an Africa Twin--or a DRZ even maybe, or 650 thumper ADV bike, but not on my VFR oro my trackday bike.  My 2c...

Matt

2 minutes ago, zupatun said:

I went back and read your original post and this whole thread.  I tried to find an example of a "highway cage"...what I've seen, and what I've found for sale from various sites are engine crash protection in a few forms.  First, crash bars/bungs that most of us who ride on the street, on the track use or have seen used--I've had these on my 1998, and DO NOT have them on my 2000.  Next, if you own a Harley, you see various forms of extensions or cages or highway bars you can add and yep they help in a tip over---keep your chrome shiny, not scratched.  Someone posted the example of the Africa Twin (SWMotech) as example of crash bars for Adventure bikes--and are very common on adventure bikes.  I've also seen various crash bar setups (guards and full cages) for folks who like to stunt or want the extra protection--that IS common and they are most common for supersports...but doing a search for crash protection cages it comes up MOST common for sites tailoring their business to stunters.  I don't see a lot of supersport "cages" for supersport touring...or for VFR's...its NOT common for VFR's because they aren't a big draw for stunting, and because IMO "highway cages" aren't used by people sport-touring.  They ARE used by stunters and ADV bikes quite a bit...

Not sure why we are all "ignorant" on this...I've been around the block a few times on a bike, I love to learn about gear, and I have friends who ride Harleys, dirtbikes, stuntbikes, who race WERA so I see quite a bit...

Maybe it's "termnology" that is keeping the understanding apart, but if I can see more "supersport highway cages" or even find a hit on a google search for "highway cage" when combined with motorcycle or supersport, well, i'm teachable...and not too hard headed.

You asked if anyone had run them on a VFR (resounding NO so far--people have run crash bobbins/bungs) and what people think about them.  It seems to me that some people think they'd be good for protecting the bike, some people think they are for stunters/stuntbikes, some people think they are ugly, some people think they would "hang up" and mess the bike up more than crash bungs...you asked for opinions--I see a lot of opinions.

I hope more people chime in and share if they like them--or especially if they've tried a "full cage" or not...variety is the spice of life.  BUT, just because someome calls them stunt-bars, doesn't make them "ignorant"...it makes them accurate IMO in this case.  As for their opinion if they lke them or not, well you asked for it.   Personally, I'd like them on an Africa Twin--or a DRZ even maybe, or 650 thumper ADV bike, but not on my VFR oro my trackday bike.  My 2c...

Matt

Wow, a practical response, thank you. I know that cages are not common on touring or sport touring bikes, and I never said they were. I said they are common on super sports. Yes I did ask for input, not ignorant and arrogant responses which seem to have been the norm on this thread, a few others not withstanding. It only tells me that simple-minded people occupy the majority of this forum. I'm so sorry most of you have no idea what else is out there besides your own little nitch, but it would help you all to open up to other ideas. 

"ignorant", "arrogant", "simple-minded"? 

Wow, chutzpah and hypocrisy bursting at the seams here...   :squid:

Congrats on being the first on my list - ::CLICK::

Like sands thought the hourglass,

so,

are the days of our lives.

(cue flute and violin music)

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, itallbecomesu said:

Again, stunt and highway cages are very different, but that would require you to actually read the posts instead of just commenting blindly. I'm finding this group to be full of ignorance, and you are certainly exemplifying that fact.

Why are you taking everything so hostile? I can't imagine you'll contribute much to this group in future with that type of attitude.

Stu, it is true that most of the vfr guys here seem to be very unwilling to budge on any matter. I learned that from nelix the troll, a while ago. Coming from a daytona, the guys on those forums are awesome,  super helpful, and definitely nowhere near as judgmental as this crowd can seem to be. Heck, even kawi forums were a walk in the park. Put on your thick skin, and just assume they're not getting laid enough. I gave up on the community, and just search posts for info, most of the time. The other vfr forum seems to have less sticks shoved in places. 

Again, best of luck in making it YOUR bike. Their opinions don't matter. 

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, itallbecomesu said:

Almost 37 years of riding, I have never seen a cage on a supersports bike. Hope you heard that ok?

4 hours ago, Rsparky said:

Stu, it is true that most of the vfr guys here seem to be very unwilling to budge on any matter. I learned that from nelix the troll, a while ago. Coming from a daytona, the guys on those forums are awesome,  super helpful, and definitely nowhere near as judgmental as this crowd can seem to be. Heck, even kawi forums were a walk in the park. Put on your thick skin, and just assume they're not getting laid enough. I gave up on the community, and just search posts for info, most of the time. The other vfr forum seems to have less sticks shoved in places. 

Seems like having an opinion makes you a troll to some members.........

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, itallbecomesu said:

Wow, a practical response, thank you. I know that cages are not common on touring or sport touring bikes, and I never said they were. I said they are common on super sports. Yes I did ask for input, not ignorant and arrogant responses which seem to have been the norm on this thread, a few others not withstanding. It only tells me that simple-minded people occupy the majority of this forum. I'm so sorry most of you have no idea what else is out there besides your own little nitch, but it would help you all to open up to other ideas. 

What the heck do you think my response was when I spent time searching for you terminology, couldn't find a thing so use mine and bingo came up with examples of which you probably haven't even looked at.  I've never ever seen a sports bike super, super dooper or hyper sports with a cage as you call them in the uk in 34 years of riding bikes.    No need to slag us off I bet there are a few items out there that I could ask you about and you wouldn't even have a clue what I was talking about. I think you will find the majority of us on here are very broad minded and have a fairly wide knowledge base of a lot of bikes. 

Ok so I lay down the challenge to you to provide ,say 4 different examples of what you call a crash cage. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Africord said:

Cages on a sport touring bike are not a new idea. http://www.mcenterprisesusa.com/products/search/dsp_searchform.cfm

I didn't know that they were even available for a VFR. I want to see how this turns out. 

They are still not common for a VFR...but you CAN buy training wheels for your Honda 50cc dirtbike from them tooo...not a new idea either, just not common...and you CANT get them for the VFR on that page either.  Much more common for cruisers or GL's--Touring bikes...Sport-touring--not so common.

Matt

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Rsparky said:

Ha,  I've seen people torn to shreds on the DC sportbikes forum or the WERA forums..."openmindedness" is in the mind of the beholder...but everyone has their own opinions.  this makes me chuckle...

There are plenty of crusty VFR folks...just as there are people who are "touchy" if they are challenged AT ALL ...and are asked for some proof or examples...I think the closer comparison is that VFR riders are more often than not "from Missouri"...show me, don't tell me...

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Nelix said:

Seems like having an opinion makes you a troll to some members........

Izzat your opinion?  :lobby:

One of the amazing things about the Internet is how it can expose people to thinks they've never seen, did not know or know about, etc.

We get into trouble when we assume that if we haven't seen it, it does not exist.  Or should not.  Or whatever.

And I have to admit that as long as I've been riding, and with as many cultures as I've been exposed to, the only time I ever saw cages on sportbikes it was on bikes used for stunting.  But, you know, empirical evidence and all that...

:wheel:

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 0:44 AM, Rsparky said:

Yep, this does seem to be full of crotchety old sods. Oh and don't worry, I'm done with the trolls and ignorance here. I'll contribute & ask questions regardless of the noise I encounter. I guess I did get the feedback about my original post, a resounding no in the community haha.

Well, I'm building & installing a "cage" (bring on the hate I guess) that will properly protect my VFR. Those of you who don't like it, well you don't have to. To those of you who find this project interesting, stay tuned.

Thanks for the positive responses, as for the rest of you....get over yourselves.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, itallbecomesu said:

as for the rest of you....get over yourselves.

On 28/04/2017 at 1:44 PM, fink said:

Ok so I lay down the challenge to you to provide ,say 4 different examples of what you call a crash cage. 

So, we are still waiting for this.

Archived