Cage vs Sliders

Ok, I'm getting ready to install a Crazy Iron's crash cage on my 2014 after I modify it into a full surround cage. I was wondering if anyone else has run a set of cages on an 8th gen & what the group's thoughts were regarding them. I have cages on my other bikes, but it's a very common accessory for super sports. I haven't seen them on any other sport touring bikes like ours. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once had the honour of watching two people being thrown up the road as their crash bar touched down on a sharp bend so went off the idea! Each to their own though :) Can't really picture them on a faired bike so would be curious as to the result.

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty sure someone posted up a pic on the FB group the other night.

Ausp, yes he is talking crash or engine bars.

Those look like a seriously BAD idea.  When that cage hits the ground, if that lip catches on something, that whole cage is going to act like a giant lever and do some serious damage.

9 hours ago, fink said:

I'm pretty sure someone posted up a pic on the FB group the other night.

Ausp, yes he is talking crash or engine bars.

Yeah I posted the pics, and no I'm not talking about crash bars I'm talkingabout a proper crash cage. If you don't understand the difference, Google it. 

55 minutes ago, itallbecomesu said:

Yeah I posted the pics, and no I'm not talking about crash bars I'm talkingabout a proper crash cage. If you don't understand the difference, Google it. 

If you want feedback, it might be nice if you provided some links so there are no misunderstandings.

• Member Contributer

Well they look vile ...

Russian, that explains a lot

16 hours ago, crakerjac said:

So you want your sport touring bike to look like a stunt bike?

I want to protect the bike, and for those of you who have never run a full cage please, don't assume things. The cages, unlike crash bars & sliders will actually protect the bike. I don't care about appearances in others eyes, I'm not vain, I'm realistic. Besides, the VFR isn't exactly a show stopper in the looks department anyway. It's a practical bike with a practical purpose. Commuter & tourer, which it does quite adequately. So, taking the same practical approach, I'm fitting a full cage. 

Also,  thank you for your input and comments. I know this is basically sacrilege to a lot of VFR owners, but it's a viable option if people so choose.

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 10:54 PM, Samuelx said:

If you want feedback, it might be nice if you provided some links so there are no misunderstandings.

I'm only using the crazy iron setup as a base for a full surround cage so links wouldn't be very helpful as the crazy iron setup isn't a proper representation of what I'm doing. If you're curious just Google crash cage.

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Katie said:

Once had the honour of watching two people being thrown up the road as their crash bar touched down on a sharp bend so went off the idea! Each to their own though :) Can't really picture them on a faired bike so would be curious as to the result.

Cage, not crash bar. Not even remotely similar. Crash bars are detrimental at speed just like you said. A crash cage on the order hand is not.

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 6:13 AM, Auspanglish said:

Cage? You mean crash bars like those on say an Africa Twin?

No, I mean full cage. Crash bars are somethingelse entirely.

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 3:59 PM, crakerjac said:

Those look like a seriously BAD idea.  When that cage hits the ground, if that lip catches on something, that whole cage is going to act like a giant lever and do some serious damage.

As I stated in the beginning, that is the base for building a full cage. So what you are looking at has no actual bearing and what I'm installing on my bike aside from 3 of the 9 mounting points. Thanks

I'm sorryvfor the confusion. I'm not referring to crash bars or sliders. Also, the Crazy Irons "cage" that someone posted a link to, again is only the basis and starting point for the construction of a full cage. I guess I should have also specified that it's a crash cage and not a stunt cage, which is also very different. I know most people are familiar with stunt cages because that's what you see most of the time, but they are designed for dropping and slow speed maneuvers not Highway use. I will try and get pictures posted in the future once I get it completed, I was simply looking for feedback and if anyone else had done something similar with their VFR. You don't have to like it folks, it's not your bike. Thanks again for the feedback, and I'll be happy to answer anyone's questions.

• Member Contributer

I think the biggest problem here is the terminology used in the various countries.

We generally do NOT have stunters over here  so as a whole are not familiar with stunt cages (except those on the professional circuit).

In the UK they are and always have been called crash bars.  Its is a frame that is attached to the bikes frame and engine mounting points which are designed to protect the bike in the event of an off.  http://www.thestuntfactory.com/siinhocbr60c1.html , http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/kawasaki-engine-crash-bars/kawasaki-er6n-2009-black-renntec-engine-crash-bars.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwrYbIBRCgnY-OluOk89EBEiQAZER58jLZSWY4WMieeUq8Xsaw8IxRhYNRfu6dcTy1wlNPKXoaAlc68P8HAQ , http://www.bykebitz.co.uk/motorcycle-accessories/motorcycle-engine-frame-protection/sw-motech-crashbars-honda-crf1000-africa-twin-16.html .

If im wrong could you please explain further.

• Member Contributer

It's like shagging a beautiful woman and putting a bag over her head and a fat suit on her first.

Just double checked the date.........

On 4/24/2017 at 7:11 PM, itallbecomesu said:

I have cages on my other bikes, but it's a very common accessory for super sports. 

Where is it a "very common accessory for super sports?"

I've seen these on police bikes, but never on a super sport.

• Member Contributer
On 25/04/2017 at 2:11 AM, itallbecomesu said:

but it's a very common accessory for super sports. 

Fake news.

Archived