New Guy that wants to pick your brains...

Nascar24

Hey All,  I hail from Michigan and own several VF700 & VF750's.  I've been riding for 30+ years from dirt, sport, and cruisers.  I don't have a VFR but I love the V4's.  I joined to hopefully learn from you guys and possible increase my knowledge base on the V4.  I'm currently building an 88 VF750 for a sport cruiser and would like some advise on a few things.  I belong to the V4Musclebike forums but the guys who own a 87 or 88 so called "Super Magna" aren't doing what I am doing to mine.  I am doing my best to make the bike handle and react like a sport/cruiser should. The other owners want them to look "Cool" and chrome them out.  I own and original 1988 VF750 with 15k and all Hondaline accessories so I've got a trailer queen but I want a real sport cruiser to ride and not just putt around and show it off.

I am a retired skill trades automation technician and have worked on anything with an engine.  I've been reading your forums for quite awhile and noticed some very interesting and very skilled folks on the forums. Although I'm an older guy, speed is still in my blood and I love to make any bike I've owned run and handle better then the factory versions.  I've owned mostly Honda's but have rode several other V4's and inline 4's.  This 88 build will be my last bike build and when finished, I want to enjoy the rest of my years riding and not building all the time.

Here is where I'm at:  The bike weighted 530lbs wet.  I've ditched the solid rear wheel, changed the final drive ratio from a 3:08 to a 3:40 and cut 35lbs from the bike so far.  I believe I can cut another 20lbs when I'm done.  I'm shooting for 475lbs or less when finished.  I have Race Tech emulators and .85 springs in the front forks with adjustable damping and compression.  I lowered the bike 1" back and front.  I've re-jetted the front and rear mains to 112 and 114 along with the slow jets resized a bit.  I just received  a set of Works Performance shocks (13") for the rear with adjustable damping, preload and some other functions I may be able to dial in.  I'm running a 3.5 wide rear wheel so that limits me to the tire width with a shaft drive.  I can fit a 160/80-15 with swing arm modifications and I can do that without messing up the shaft.  I found a way to push more air to the plenum without modifying the plenum.  These bikes use the air plenum for pulling vacuum as well so I can't do much with that. I weight in at 155lbs and have most of the geometry worked out with the aid of suspension engineers and technicians.  They all called me crazy to try this on this type of bike but I'm making progress 1 step at a time.  I know it will never handle like your bikes but I can make it handle much better then Arlen Ness and Honda designed this bike.  I would like some help or suggestions on designing a set of headers and can't find anybody willing to take on the task. The firing order is 1 2 3 4 which is the front cylinders firing together and the rear together.  I would like a front 2 into 1 and a rear 2 into 1 system.  My problem in the primary tubes and keeping the rear the same length and having the correct flow.  I sold my tig welder and would pay for someone to help me design a set to fit this bike.  I do have a few designs but I'm limited to tube size and need all the flow I can get to pump the air through the engine.   Thanks for any help I may receive.

Regards,

A. Mathers 

Welcome. I'm guessing you'll receive an earful.

Err, a lot of helpful info, just not from me. I am no help. Cheers.  :beer:

• Member Contributer

A MotoGP style exhaust would be my approach as well. 2 2 into 1. One high, and one low.

As far as fabrication there are a couple threads here on the subject. Just don't steal time from our current efforts. It's all good. I have 3 sets of stock 98-99 headers in good condition so I'm not hurting, but looking forward to a fresh true performance exhaust for my 5th gens.

Oo fun stuff there  ;) you have your hands full huh.  Sorry though, I'm to far away to be of much help here.  this is one of those touchy feely sorta things.  

59 minutes ago, MBrane said:

I have 3 sets of stock 98-99 headers in good condition so I'm not hurting,

But, are you hoarding? :goofy:

Sorry, just a thought. :happy:

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

But, are you hoarding? :goofy:

Sorry, just a thought. :happy:

I dunno. They are all attached to running bikes ATM though one will soon be a parts donor.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, VFR Capt.Bob said:

Pictures or does not exist. 

We need to prove you are not a figment of our imagination.

And welcome to the asylum.

Archived