What kind of Oil/Filter do y'all use?

Hey guys, just as the title suggests.

First the filters...do you guys use OEM or aftermarket?  I've used K&N's on my previous steed (2007 GSXR1000) and it worked great.  However, I have heard some bad fitment/issues with our VFR's, though, so I'll likely stay away.  I was thinking an Amsoil synthetic filter or stay OEM.  Both are probably $$$.

As for oil...do you guys run the recommended 10w30 or use the typical 10w40?

10w30 isn't as popular, obviously, but I can still find some decent brands for full synthetic.

All opinions welcome!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Filter:
Purolator Pure One PL-14610

Oil:
What ever motorcycle approved synthetic is on sale at the local store, usually either Valvoline or Mobil 1.
10-40 in winter
20-50 in summer

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Honda filter is what I use.  Is the cost of the filter really significant considering what you pay for gas, tires, insurance, brake pads, proper riding protective clothing, chain lube, chain cleaner, chains, air filters, price of the bike itself, value of your time on the bike, etc, etc.  Are your really worried about paying $5 more for an oil filter no matter what kind you choose to use??   

To clarify, this post has very little to do with cost.  All of my vehicles, past and present, have always used synthetic oil and if possible, synthetic filters.  

More money yes, but they are just flat-out better.

However, like most people, I don't want to throw money down the tube, so I figured I'd see what others are using for their 2014+ VFR's.

As stated, the K&N apparently doesn't agree with our bikes, so I'd like to see what options are available.

Has anyone used a HiFloFiltro on ours?  I've heard nothing but good from them and them seem to be built better, hence the TUV and ISO ratings.

Once I had a K&N fail, I used the HiFlo many times with no problems on my 6th gen. Been using OEM on the 8th gen (service contract with the dealer). 

• Member Contributer

I had a K&N blow up on me, they don't fit well on the VFR anyways.

I use the Honda OEM filter and Mobil 1 4T racing oil. The Honda oil wears out too quickly.

• Member Contributer

I use Hiflofiltro filters and Rotella T6 5w40 on my VFR and all of the bikes that came before it. Oil changes around 8000 km or whenever it feels like it needs it. Filters every second change.

Me likey.

• Member Contributer

I avoid K&N and Hiflo.

K&Ns have a HUGE history of failure, one as recent as last week on another group I'm in. Hiflo makes K&Ns filters.. so no thanks there.

Bosch 3300 here.

• Member Contributer

OEM's but mostly HiFlo HF204's both on 6 and 8th gens, no issues.  Avoid K & N with the loosen make believe nut on the top of the filter.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, thtanner said:

I avoid K&N and Hiflo.

K&Ns have a HUGE history of failure, one as recent as last week on another group I'm in. Hiflo makes K&Ns filters.. so no thanks there.

Bosch 3300 here.

Hey thtanner. Isn't the failure of the K & N caused by people using the nut shape at the top of the filter to tighten the filter fracturing the spot wields causing the filter failure? Even if K&N make HiFlo or visa versa, apart from myself l know a couple of other people who have used HiFlo for ages and never had an issue.

I have seen K&N oil filter leak at the nut even when a strap was used to put them on & take them off ... 

I would never sell a K&N at any of the shops I worked in, OEM or Hi-Flo only ..!

• Member Contributer

Who tightens an oil filter with a wrench?  I can see some torque being applied to remove a used oil filter, but the filter would then most likely be replaced with a new one.  No, these K&Ns with the "nuts" manage to fail all by themselves for some reason...

(Oh, and I didn't see anyone mention Fram filters.  There's (an historical) reason for that, but it's probably faded from the memories of most by now.  In short, a lot of Fram filters failed, disastrous consequences ensued, and many riders swore off Fram forever.)

I use Purolator PureONE oil filters.  Or OEM Honda.

Ciao,

Thanks for the sources, guys.

It's weird to hear so much bad about K&N...I've used them in my previous 4 high performance vehicles (NA, turbo and supercharged applications) and my past motorcycle.  Never had an issue.

I'm just trying to find a good reliable source in buying filters.  I'm not a fan of my local dealer so I really don't want to give them my money if I don't have to.

What is saved is sometimes spend on other things

I have never used other than honda filters they are only like 10% more expensive in my country

Also, I've always heard good stuff from Bosch and Purolator, but I honestly can't find an application chart for our bikes.  I'm talking specifically for the 8th gens.

Eighth and sixth gen use the same engine block...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Grum said:

Hey thtanner. Isn't the the failure of the K & N caused by people using the nut shape at the top of the filter to tighten the filter fracturing the spot wields causing the filter failure? Even if K&N make HiFlo or visa versa, apart from myself l know a couple of other people who have used HiFlo for ages and never had an issue.

The nut is not failing because people are using it to tighten the filter. That's a bunch of b.s. K&N keeps spewing. It's a flawed design, even if you never touch the nut, it can still fail.

HiFlo makes K&Ns filters. I won't support a company that knowingly produces a bad product, even if they're the subcontractor.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, thtanner said:

The nut is not failing because people are using it to tighten the filter. That's a bunch of b.s. K&N keeps spewing. It's a flawed design, even if you never touch the nut, it can still fail.

HiFlo makes K&Ns filters. I won't support a company that knowingly produces a bad product, even if they're the subcontractor.

Fair enough.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, JZH said:

(Oh, and I didn't see anyone mention Fram filters.  There's (an historical) reason for that, but it's probably faded from the memories of most by now.  In short, a lot of Fram filters failed, disastrous consequences ensued, and many riders swore off Fram forever.)

10 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Eighth and sixth gen use the same engine block...

I use oe Honda filters & Motul 5100.

As to what weight oil to choose, it really depends on the climate & usage. Here is a good primer on oil viscosity: 10W-WTF!? Dispelling Myths About Oil

John is right about Fram. Their filters failed because not enough thread engaged the engine. This happened after Fram had off-shored production but failed to ensure manufacturing kept to the design spec.

Candy forgot to include the RC45 and the 5th gen as they use the same basic engine design as the 6th & 8th gen VFRs.

Archived