Tank bag for Gen 8 recommendations

bobbyn

Personally, having no experience with tank bags, I was going to go with the Givi Tanklock system. It looks a little goofy perched the way it is, but in my eyes, there isn't a tank bag that doesn't look goofy. Also, my bike stays far from spotless, so I won't have to worry about dirt being ground into the paint by contact with the bag during installation and removal or movement/vibration while attached.

Another one here for the GIVI tanklock setup. Although, Sw-Motech has a similar setup but with the ability to pass power through the connection mechanism. This would allow for charging of devices inside the bag while its attached to the bike. I have no experience with it but seemed like a cool idea for touring. It would keep the phone charged and protected while on the road. That being said, the GIVI looks a little bit cleaner IMO, without a bag attached.

Givi do a power hub too, although it's for a different model bag I'm going to adapt mine to fit 758ea5a34e8256028f570eec8f0fe9ab.jpg

49 minutes ago, ManxVFR said:

Givi do a power hub too, although it's for a different model bag I'm going to adapt mine to fit 758ea5a34e8256028f570eec8f0fe9ab.jpg

You're ready for an in-flight movie with that set up!  :)

I've always been partial to strapped down tank bags.  Yes, it's a little bit more of a pain to set up and you'll have straps/buckles there even when you don't have the bag attached.  I had a Tourmaster back in the day that I really liked and now can't find anymore (did Tourmaster become Cortech or merge or something?).  Ended up getting an 18L expandable Cortech from Revzilla

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-super-20-18-liter-strap-mounted-tank-bag

It's not bad but I like my old Tourmaster better - main compartment had two zippers instead of just one, was roomier than the Cortech even when the Cortech is expanded, the opening for the map pocket faced the rider instead of the handlebars and was much easier to access, and the side and end pockets were also larger/roomier. 

On the flip side, the Cortech's bottom pad is better designed/constructed, it's got hideaway backpack shoulder straps, the main compartment is red so it's easier to find things, and it also comes with a padded sleeve for a helmet faceshield.  It's also sleeker than my old Tourmaster.  I can't even find a picture of my old tank bag anymore...   

ETA  oh man, I just found a pic!  Hmmm, kinda looks like this one expands, I don't remember that (but I do have CRS so might have been!)

nytourm.jpg

You're ready for an in-flight movie with that set up!  :)

I've always been partial to strapped down tank bags.  Yes, it's a little bit more of a pain to set up and you'll have straps/buckles there even when you don't have the bag attached.  I had a Tourmaster back in the day that I really liked and now can't find anymore (did Tourmaster become Cortech or merge or something?).  Ended up getting an 18L expandable Cortech from Revzilla

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-super-20-18-liter-strap-mounted-tank-bag

It's not bad but I like my old Tourmaster better - main compartment had two zippers instead of just one, was roomier than the Cortech even when the Cortech is expanded, the opening for the map pocket faced the rider instead of the handlebars and was much easier to access, and the side and end pockets were also larger/roomier. 

On the flip side, the Cortech's bottom pad is better designed/constructed, it's got hideaway backpack shoulder straps, the main compartment is red so it's easier to find things, and it also comes with a padded sleeve for a helmet faceshield.  It's also sleeker than my old Tourmaster.  I can't even find a picture of my old tank bag anymore...   

Ha ! That's not my pic, just one from google ?

I have used the SW Motech stuff for a few years now (Quick Lock) good quality and secure, you do loose some space internally due to the attachment and I do put an anti slip tool mat under the bag to stop it rubbing the paint.  Previously I always used Baglux, good quality kit.

http://shop.sw-motech.com/en/by+motorbike+or+scooter/HONDA/VFR+800+F/index.htm

I always keep my camera kit in here as I don't like it in my top case

DSC_3121.JPG

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, ManxVFR said:

Is that power hub a separate connection i.e. Power cable that runs through the bag or embedded into the mount? SW-Motech uses the latter to put power inside the bag. The power connections are made between the bag and the bike via the mounting ring and bag receptor. 

Is that power hub a separate connection i.e. Power cable that runs through the bag or embedded into the mount? SW-Motech uses the latter to put power inside the bag. The power connections are made between the bag and the bike via the mounting ring and bag receptor. 

Yeah it's a separate connection, in two parts - from the battery to an outlet by the handlebar, then from the outlet to the hub in the bag.

Archived