Tank bag for Gen 8 recommendations

bobbyn

I would like to treat my new Viffer better than my 1997, so I'm looking for any recommendations on a tank bag. Brand? Magnetic type or standard tank bag version with straps?

thanks

I've just gone for the Givi XS307 Xstream Tanklock Expandable Tank Bag - 15ltr. Only just got it but not tried it out yet !
6875ae68d7c8e2b99bc81527b105eba1.jpg

Where did you buy it from Manx? Been thinking about one of those.

Hi Nelix, I got it from sportsbikeshop.co.uk but it took about 6 weeks to be delivered as they were awaiting new stock from Givi, which seemed to be a common them when looking at other sites. This seemed to be the cheapest and included the tank lock ring whereas some sites were charging extra for it.

• Member Contributer

Ty, I don't need the ring. Will check it out, see if someone local can price match.

Have you had it on the bike yet? I'm only little so don't want anything that sits too high.

Ty, I don't need the ring. Will check it out, see if someone local can price match.
Have you had it on the bike yet? I'm only little so don't want anything that sits too high.

Not had it in the bike yet, on my to do list this weekend, will post some pics when it's on.
The pic you posted above looks a good size for the bike, got a feeling mine is going to be too big !

1 hour ago, ManxVFR said:

I've just gone for the Givi XS307 Xstream Tanklock Expandable Tank Bag - 15ltr. Only just got it but not tried it out yet !
6875ae68d7c8e2b99bc81527b105eba1.jpg

I have that precise set up. In general I like the bag and the quick tank lock system however the rigidity of the based and it's foot print compared to the tank makes it an off combination. I don't like how it looks like a duck bill......just me.  I would prefer something that hugged the tank better but also has some sort of easy access quick connect. I've been looking around. I'll send you a pic as a reference later this evening.

• Member Contributer

I've had Baglux, I have SW-Motech and I have Givi and it's Givi I'd recommend with the Tanklock system.

Best all round of them all for quality and ease of use.

So, I went to fit my Givi XS307 this morning, however they haven't sent me the flange to attach it to the bike !
Anyways, a couple of pics with it resting on the tank:
73e6502c19b94ec3ab33937fe7b44290.jpgb471a73475a42884191da01ebf42ced5.jpgbcb96856a1ad5e32a86feb48836367e9.jpg
I don't think it looks "too" big and after sitting on the bike with it on I can reach the bars no problem and it doesn't obstruct the speedo etc, when in the riding position it's up to the top of my chest. Obviously I can't do a test ride just yet to see if it's in my way at all, but not as obstructive as I thought it might be when I first got it out of the box.
For info I'm slightly vertically challenged too at 5'5"
I originally chose this as I wanted the iPad pouch to use for sat nav, however With the position being right under my chin I can't see me using it for this purpose !
This is an expandable 15ltr bag, I certainly wouldn't want anything bigger than this on the tank.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, ManxVFR said:

So, I went to fit my Givi XS307 this morning, however they haven't sent me the flange to attach it to the bike !
my chin I can't see me using it for this purpose !
This is an expandable 15ltr bag, I certainly wouldn't want anything bigger than this on the tank.

They're sold separately. I have that bag also, plus a smaller one for day rides. Very pleased with the setup.

Another vote for the Bagster from me, have had them on a lot of bikes and they make life a lot simpler. Also saves fitting stomp grip :happy:

Mind you, I've just fitted a Givi rack as well so luggage/shopping capacity is now massive again :wink:

I use a 20L Givi Xstream bag using the tank lock system...with tankslapper film underneath to protect the paint.  Good fit....does not interfere with lean angle.IMG_20160912_152616.thumb.jpg.19bdb456f501c5367932637d500d28c3.jpg

Here's a few pics (all be it not the best) with the Givi mounted on the retaining ring for the fuel cap.  Personally I don't mind the bag per se but overall don't like it how it ties in with the tank. Oh well. To each his own. Looking around for other options that hug the tank better. People have recommend Cortech and Bagster.  Enjoy

IMG_5243.JPG

IMG_5244.JPG

IMG_5241.JPG

They're sold separately. I have that bag also, plus a smaller one for day rides. Very pleased with the setup.

Yup, I got it wrong, flange now on order

Wow, I didn't know there were so many options. The Givi tank lock system looks odd, like its perched on top of the tank instead of hugging it. I like the Bagster cover, mainly because my high strength steel claw chipped the hell out of my 1997 VFR. That Bagster cover would be perfect.

Thanks guys!

IMAG4178.jpg

• Member Contributer

bobbyn, they're a French company, sell all over Europe but I'm not sure if they sell in the US....try a Google search. I'm sure they ship overseas but it will obviously cost extra.

I had one of their matched tank covers and a couple of the attaching bags on both my previous VFRs (5th & 6th Gen) and if, as you show, you have a chipped tank, they cover that up very well. There's a huge range of tank bags too.

Best of luck.

• Member Contributer

Another one here for the GIVI tanklock setup. Although, Sw-Motech has a similar setup but with the ability to pass power through the connection mechanism. This would allow for charging of devices inside the bag while its attached to the bike. I have no experience with it but seemed like a cool idea for touring. It would keep the phone charged and protected while on the road. That being said, the GIVI looks a little bit cleaner IMO, without a bag attached.

Archived