Highway 28 North Carolina surface condition

Bent

• Member Contributer

I was in the area last year a week after TMAC.  I wasn't able to make it the weekend of TMAC.  I noticed Hwy. 28 from Franklin to the 4 lane was in abysmal condition with some of it in the beginnings of falling off the side of the mountains.  I also notice that the roads in the area, in general, that we all like to ride, have deteriorated significantly.  Highway 28 is a very fun road leading to other fun roads.  Seeing the area's roads not being kept in good shape is disappointing as well as dangerous.  Anyone seen any repair work going on?  I will make another trip over there fairly soon.  If not TMAC, then another long weekend.  Thanks.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Nobody's been on this road??  I know better.....come across now dudes.....; )

I won't stop me from going but this used to be a very fun road before it got in treacherous condition in places.  

• Member Contributer

Ride 28 and enjoy. I was on it last week, the week before, and before....

It isn't perfect but you will have a perfectly good time. After living here for 6 years I ride ADV and DS bikes exclusively so ymmv.

• Member Contributer

Perhaps just a sign of the lack of spending on our countries infrastructure going on everywhere. Rather disappointing imho.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Perhaps just a sign of the lack of spending on our countries infrastructure going on everywhere. Rather disappointing imho.

Aircraft carriers are pricey. And the jets they carry ain't free either

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, kebrider said:

There's little accountability in the spending of our tax money as well.  Otherwise we wouldn't have a crumbling infrastructure.  It's all about getting re-elected at any cost.  Don't worry about the waste......

• Member Contributer

With aparently the majority of voters voting for less government and tax dodgers like Kyle Racing getting plenty support, solidarity seen as communism, where on earth would the infrastructure funds coming from? Mexico? 

Me? A simple Euro trash, looking in from outside, been to the USA a couple of times though

Good luck, it is your country to make or break (and do brake for potholes and evade....)

Have a look at one of my recent posts on MBD to so what populism may ultimately lead to.

PS I recall during TMAC12 riding near Blood Mountain on a road section that was more tar snake than tarmac. My solution was to pin the throttle and get into a floating rythem :-)

• Member Contributer

On a positive note it's not bad everywhere. My town, Richfield, MN (a first-ring Minneapolis suburb), is in the process of refinishing every street in town. Mine was done late week. Now my street is as smooth as the proverbial politician's lies.  

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Just for Dutchy. Although smooth as a politicians lies I couldn't find any in the hood for this pic. Politicians, that is.

NewStreetVFRD.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Any word on 28 - looked like they were setting it up for paving just after TMAC. I am heading there in Sept and am very curious.

• Member Contributer
On 5/13/2017 at 1:58 PM, kebrider said:

Aegis destroyers are expensive too.  But we have plenty of them so don't worry about them getting run over by large commercial vessels.   We'll just fix them with money we don't have.  We also have plenty of sailors so don't worry about losing a few.    

As far as money for infrastructure, ever see a politician leave money alone that, by law, was supposed to be set aside for some specific purpose....i.e. Social Security?

I'll go to NC whenever I feel like it after this rotator cuff heals.  Was just asking a question about Hwy. 28.  Dutchy is right about Blood Mountain.  Georgia and Tennessee are in a contest for tar snake capital of the world.  They both win and we all lose.  Better quit.....   

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

A little heads up, crews have been resurfacing an 8 mile stretch from hw 74 towards Franklin. They just finished today, and man is it sweet! You guys are going to love it! 

Thanks for the news Knute, that is my favourite part of 28 above Franklin, the tight, technical half.

The Fall Ride just ended and now I can't wait to get back down to Western NC!

• Member Contributer

Parts of 28 closer to Franklin have gotten poorly done surface treatment lately.  Parts haven't.  Was there in the cage recently.  The parts that haven't are in shameful condition.  North Carolina gives out enough speeding tickets to pay for this road resurfacing.  Bottom line, I don't much care.  There are much better places to stay than Franklin.  All politicians should be banished above the Arctic Circle, and we should start over again with new crooks.    

• Member Contributer

Believe yous did so recently no?  :unsure::goofy:

Did President Donald Trump not announce a $1 trillion plan to rebuild America’s infrastructure? 

Your concerns will be addressed pronto right? And no, the Dutch will NOT be paying for it....

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Bent said:

Parts of 28 closer to Franklin have gotten poorly done surface treatment lately.  Parts haven't.  Was there in the cage recently.  The parts that haven't are in shameful condition.  North Carolina gives out enough speeding tickets to pay for this road resurfacing.  Bottom line, I don't much care.  There are much better places to stay than Franklin.  All politicians should be banished above the Arctic Circle, and we should start over again with new crooks.    

They first did patch work, then a complete resurfacing. They did a very nice job.

• Member Contributer
On 10/8/2017 at 6:55 AM, Knute said:

They first did patch work, then a complete resurfacing. They did a very nice job.

Good.  Glad to hear the job wasn't finished until complete resurfacing.  It needed it badly.  The road surfaces where I ride need to get maintenance priority....sure...: )  

Archived