Noise from R/R

11jalrge

Hi everyone just wondering if anyone has ever heard their R/R on making noise.Everything is working like it should but at idle I heard it making sort of a buzzing noise.It was last replaced about 6 years ago I took out the connector and soldered the 3 yellow wires.Battery is probably about 3 years old.voltages are 12.48 not running  13.02 idling about 1100 14.48 @5000. That it with everything at operating temp.Its on my 98 Fifth gen.I would like to catch it before I am stuck on the road if possible thanks the regular I installed is  mos fet I ordered from Rick's motor sport

I tried to get a video but you couldn't hear the noise good enough over my phone.so this morning I rechecked  battery and found 12.24 volts cold not running it still made the noise when I started it .I then put my charger on it until it came up to 100 % and 12.9 volts no more noise from r/r.Now I am test riding it for a while and will recheck the whole system when I get home.I will also load test the battery too make sure it is good. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, 11jalrge said:

I rechecked  battery and found 12.24 volts cold not running.

Unless there was a good reason for the battery to be fairly deeply discharged that's really too low. :unsure:

12.9 after charging is a bit marginal but still within range but if it dropped to 12.2 just by sitting for a few days, it's well on its way to the recycling plant. :sad:

I just rechecked it after riding it around for a bit this afternoon and it's at 13.20 now so I will keep checking it but now I think I have eliminated the r/r,it also passed a load test at the auto parts store while I was out but if it goes down again I will replace it ASAP. 

Archived