Back after 10 years!

911man

I owned a VFR 10 years ago and sold it for a Sprint ST, then a Street triple, then a Monster EVO 1100, then a Speed Triple.

Now I'm about to buy a new 2017 VFR, for a change more than anything really.

If you went on reviews alone I think I'd be sticking with the Speedy! I'm sure the VFR "use" to get far better reviews.

Anyone gone from a Speed Triple to a VFR? Just curious.

Cheers

Well I just sold my fz09 with quite a few mods to get a 14 vfr last weekend. I loved that fz, so much power everywhere. I'm assuming thats how the speed triple is . I was very worried I'd miss the fz. I had a 97 vfr a few years ago and really missed the v4 motor and sound .  After putting 85 miles on the new vfr I can't say I miss the fz. I couldn't stand the wind blast of the naked bike and even with upright riding position it wasn't comfortable for more than an hour.  The power isn't the same obviously but it has enough past 7k to keep me happy. Sorry this is  long winded but I know where you're coming from. I read and watched many reviews of this bike and most weren't good.  I test rode it and liked it . Got too good a deal to pass up on it. 

Yeh that's what I mean about the reviews. You are right though about the power, but I hardly ever give my bikes death anyway.

Having said that, on my 2007 VFR I threw a LeoVince on it made a good difference. Especially the sound.

I did a 400 Km ride the other day, which is what lead me to what I am about to do. I honestly got beaten top death by the wind.

On the weekend I fitted a dart screen, but I doubt that'll help that much.

I forgot to mention the deal on the VFR is nuts as well. Change over is only about $2K NZ.

I think you'd be happy with it then.  I feel now that I've had it a short time that positives out weigh the negatives on this bike.  Honestly if you don't like it you can always sell it. I usually don't keep bikes more than two years , but this is the first bike I bought new. 

Also most reviews compare the bike to liter bikes too. So yes, it will feel under powered. Also for the price of the leftovers not many bikes offer what the vfr can for the money.  My list of wants before buying it:  v4/v2 motor, something I can lean into corners, wind protection, reliability, good looks, comfortable 2 up capabilities. Vfr ticked all the boxes. I guess my only gripe is the weight. Coming from the fz weighing only 400lbs but  I'm getting used it. 

I went from street triple to vfr, it's a different type of bike and that's what I wanted. Your going from an exciting torque monster to a more versatile all rounder. For excitement I fitted arrows exhaust no baffle and use full revs or can sedately putter around town. For a trip I put on the luggage and recently did 1000kms. Much more stable on the highway due to weight and happy to cruise. The Triumph was always saying go go go. Just depends on what you want. Also it's a beautiful machine compared to an awkward looking bitsa.

After 400 ks I was buggered from the constant battering. That's the main reason for the change.

Mind you, the VFR is hardly a slug either! The Speedy is always up for action as well. I had a Street Triple 3 bikes ago and had to sell it after 6 months because everywhere I went I was going hard. It inspired too much confidence.

The Speedy is the same, but bigger, faster and more fun again.

I need to slow down anyway :)

Archived