Tank stripe , yay or nay?

• Member Contributer

I say yay - looks great!   I've been using various magnets designed for cars on mine as a jerryrigged tank protector- I like to collect various types (places I've been, my dog, etc) and I can switch them up or go without, depending on my mood.  See the 2:00 mark of this vid for my latest one LOL

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, Beardedboxer said:

Thanks, and I did watch that vid a few days ago. Not many vloggers for 8th gen vfrs let alone vfrs in general!

Cool, unfortunately my GoPro turned off inadvertently on our way to Yalaha so I missed recording the scenic ride around Lake Dora and Dave's mad wheelie!  BTW Dave had some sort of clear tank protector on his, it was barely noticeable.

I think it looks pretty good.  Do you have a matching helmet for it - e.g. Shoei GT Air Wanderer?  http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/view_product_images/6913  

I think if I were to do something like that, I'd probably extend the striping to below the edge of the seat, through the fuel cap (leaving a small open, no stripe, gap around the cap and the striping curved on both sides of the cap) and down the front of the gas tank to the mounting bolts.  Then I'd continue the striping through the headlights and onto the front fender and also back across the top of the rear seat cowl...  :D

Cheap wrap:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-x60-Gold-Black-Car-Decal-Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-DIY-Wrap-Sheet-Roll-Film-Sticker-Decal/32260499629.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.0.kTMEU2

Funny, I almost bought the shoei gt air wanderer, ended up getting a really good deal on the gt  air Pendelum style. 

As far as stripe, I was thinking of taking it down to the seat and continuing up the tank. Unfortunately adding the stripe by the headlight won't work. No good way to do it, unless the stripe was an inch wide.

Since you asked, I would recommend a longer stripe(s) extending from the base of the tank under the seat up to the fuel cap at the top - and cut the top end of the strips in an arc to conform to the arc of the fuel cap. Make sense? I think that would look better. Perfect, actually.

• Member Contributer

Nay,  it has that "Yamaha vibe" and it is a Honda

17-1447760814-eicma-2015-yamaha-xsr900-2

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Beardedboxer said:

I made this out of carbon fiber vinyl. Did this on my fz09 and it looked awesome. Not sure if I like it on the vfr. Could just buy the typical tank pad. What do you guys think?

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

For me, I would have it go all the way down to where it meets the seat and all the way up to where it meets the gas cap and match the curvature of it. As it sits now, it looks too much like just putting a sticker on a bike and finding the best place for it. Just my opinion of course.

• Member Contributer

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

I say if your going to do it.... just do it right

this is one I did years ago and wish I still had it.

gunmetal with a sinful cinnamon strip and wheels and Honda wings, all painted no stickers

On 4/19/2017 at 6:06 PM, Beardedboxer said:

I made this out of carbon fiber vinyl. Did this on my fz09 and it looked awesome. Not sure if I like it on the vfr. Could just buy the typical tank pad. What do you guys think?

Honestly, in my experience, it won't look too good after a couple of months.  I did something similar as a tank protector on my 6th gen.  The faux carbon tends not to do too well when rubbed by leather track suits.  Ended up with a real ST1300 tank pad, which was a perfect fit.  Using a Honda Racing carbon fiber pad on the 8th gen.

On 4/20/2017 at 11:17 AM, Beardedboxer said:

Duc2v4, I agree with you. I made this one out of scrap I had just to get an idea. I may make it a little skinnier as well.  So this will be the weekend project along with the new exhaust and puig tinted wind screen.  

More like the tank stripe on a Ducati Monster?

On 4/20/2017 at 1:06 AM, Beardedboxer said:

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

Looks awesome! I'll consider doing my own vinyl wrap project as well but will probably seek some professional help from Gatorwraps.

• Member Contributer

Actually I don't mind the tank stripe too much, wouldn't do it myself but looks okay. But I really don't like the cowl stripe, just looks "off".

• Member Contributer

Another vote for it...Looks good to me...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:29 PM, Beardedboxer said:

Ok, got it done this am. Went with a skinnier stripe. I think it looks much better.

IMG_1616.JPG

I like it, personally I would continue the stripe all the way back over the tail but just my opinion.

Archived