VF400F resto-mod

VF1000RS

• Member Contributer

Long time since I've been here. Drove a bit Saturday to pick up this VF400F rolling chassis and this non-running V30 Magna. I spent Sunday going through the Magna to get it running. 

We didn't get the VF400F here in the US so it's a bit of a rarity. This one is titled and I went to the DMV today to get the title in my name so I know there's nothing wrong there. The owner claimed it was _the_ VF400F  used in this Cycle Guide magazine. I don't know about that but I do know I have an interesting project on my hands...

IMG_8675.JPG

IMG_8676.JPG

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

That is a rare beast, even her in the Netherlands! congrats!

So what is the plan? A VF400 MagnaCeptor hybrid?

• Member Contributer

A friend of mine had the VF400 in South Africa, really quick, was always curious about the inboard discs.....
On the 750's the 'V' is different between the Magna, front bank further forward, shaft drive, motor turns reverse to the chain drive, forward, front bank more upright....
Is this so with the 400 motor too?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Dutchy said:

That is a rare beast, even her in the Netherlands! congrats!

So what is the plan? A VF400 MagnaCeptor hybrid?

Magna motor in the VF400. Then get rid of the rest of the Magna. 

The motor is essentially a 500 Interceptor motor but cams and carbs tuned for more midrange. Transmission should be a bit different with slightly wider ratios the first three then closer the last three. 

Then the fun begins. I am torn between keeping the stock wheels and something a bit different. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Forbes said:

A friend of mine had the VF400 in South Africa, really quick, was always curious about the inboard discs.....
On the 750's the 'V' is different between the Magna, front bank further forward, shaft drive, motor turns reverse to the chain drive, forward, front bank more upright....
Is this so with the 400 motor too?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

The inboard discs are probably not Hondas greatest achievement. They tried to ventilate as much as possible but I imagine heat still gets trapped. The rear on this bike is warped. Probably corrode pretty easily tucked in like the are also. I have some ideas though. 

On the little Magna the V is upright more like the Interceptors, there is no shaft drive but a chain driving the rear wheel and the motor spins the correct direction. Should be a pretty straightforward swap as the 500 is pretty much a bored out 400. 

• Member Contributer

I'm going back and forth on that. Would be good to have the dual discs, not loving the TRAC. 

Also, I've got a set of 17" NS/VF1000 Comstars that may find a new life with this project. 

• Member Contributer

I owned two of these from new, back in the day. Awesome little machines, and great for embarrassing bigger bikes. I can confirm that the inboard discs do indeed get really hot, I recall smoke rising from the front after a spirited run through suburbia with many stop signs. My first one was a real rocketship and surprised my GPz900 riding mate by managing 210km/hr down a long hill. I'm told that one achilles heel is the fuel tank as water can sit in a low point and never drain, leading to corrosion.

I look forward to watching the transplant. The pics below are of my second VF400F which was a Japanese domestic market model imported new by our local importer, which did not come with a standard chin spoiler, and also had a red light that came on above 100km/hr IIRC. My first one had the same graphics as yours but reversed so the main colour was burgundy and the stripe silver, with a silver frame. 

I may have some old  road tests of these from magazines that I could dig out and scan if you are interested.

vf400f2.jpg

vf400f8.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks like fun. Don't hate me but I actually like those wheels...goes with the rest of the styling/era.

Didn't Canada get those? Seems like I've seen a few here and there in several forums.

Before you undertake a wheel swap, may I point you in the direction I have gone? Changing the tires from bias-ply to modern radials really changes the look of the wheel. New paint or power coating could help too. Also I am curious, with these changes that you are making, are you aiming for a speed demon or an agile dancer? Remember, if you make the diameter of the rear wheel smaller, you lose top speed. Tire profile effects this too.

• Member Contributer

Terry thanks for confirming the brakes. I'm pretty sure the rear rotor is warped. Cool pics of your bikes. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Kel said:

Looks like fun. Don't hate me but I actually like those wheels...goes with the rest of the styling/era.

Didn't Canada get those? Seems like I've seen a few here and there in several forums.

No hate here. I actually like the stock wheels. Definitely a cool retro thing, inboard discs included. I just haven't decided the end result yet. And there's something about a 16"/18" combo that I kind of like. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Tyy said:

Before you undertake a wheel swap, may I point you in the direction I have gone? Changing the tires from bias-ply to modern radials really changes the look of the wheel. New paint or power coating could help too. Also I am curious, with these changes that you are making, are you aiming for a speed demon or an agile dancer? Remember, if you make the diameter of the rear wheel smaller, you lose top speed. Tire profile effects this too.

Hello Tyy. What tires are you using? And what sizes?

thanks for your thoughts. I haven't decided which direction to go as above. Been a touch busy tonight putting the motor in the 400 chassis. Looks like I can move forward. Don't mind the filth as I needed to do a proof of concept fit.

IMG_8703.JPG

IMG_8702.JPG

• Member Contributer

Great work on the transplant. So glad that it is straightforward.

If it was mine, I would keep the wheels and brakes stock, I mean if you wanted a mean handling, well braked bike, you'd have bought a CBR600RR or something. I do like the 16/18" stance, and 17s would upset that. I would also suggest sticking close to stock tyre sizes especially up front, you should only put a 100 section on there. I have a vivid (and slightly unhappy) memory of hitting a hump-back bridge at over 160km/hr, enjoying some air, then having the mother of all tank slappers on the landing. Aside from wrenched thumbs all was well, but it does serve as a warning about 16s. That was the only scary moment on both bikes and probably 50,000km of enthusiastic riding however.

On 2017-04-18 at 6:52 PM, Kel said:

No we did not get them here. 

NS400, yes. CB-1, yes, CBX550F, yes, but  not the VF400

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Dutchy said:

No affiliation;  a breaker here in NL has these parts, should you get stuck stateside....

http://www.svolta.nl/1277-vf-400-f-nc13-1982-1986

Can assist if needed..  :-)

Thanks for the link. I might take you up on that. I have a thought that involves VF500F2 black boomerangs. We didn't get them here. 

• Member Contributer

Just fit a VF750F or a CBR600F2 front end, all the benefits, no drawbacks & leave the rear stock or match with a 750/600 rear wheel/brakes.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Just fit a VF750F or a CBR600F2 front end, all the benefits, no drawbacks & leave the rear stock or match with a 750/600 rear wheel/brakes.

While I'm not ruling that option out 100%, I've done similar a couple times. A great solution performance-wise.

I set these aside years ago with the plan for a 500 Interceptor, just add whatever front end I felt like at the time. I don't think I will use them on the little 400 and only show them as ideas I've considered. I want to do something different. 

IMG_8715.JPG

IMG_8717.JPG

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Correct-ish wheels but loses those damn inboard brakes.

Ya, darn!  While retro-cool and all, if I keep the stock inboards I have to replace at least the rear rotor as I'm sure it's warped. 

Im thinking the 500F2 wheels would give me the mini retro-racer-hotrod look I'm thinking. Plus dual front discs are a plus. I like effective brakes. You can push further if you can stop. 

Gotta get it up and running/riding before all that though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So there's luck. Like finding a non-imported VF400F with no engine and a Magna 500 with a 5000 mile engine in the same trip and bringing them home together. Then there's finding a NIB Hindle/Holeshot 4-1 header system made in the early 1980's and a nice condition Fox shock just across town from you luck. 

IMG_8753.JPG

• Member Contributer

Holy shit.  Score.  I have a set of Beet (?) Rearsets for the 400 I got ions ago from Japan to adapt to a 500.

How in the hell did those things pop up in your area?

• Member Contributer

My first bike was a cbx 550 , also somewhat rare, and I can attest that the brakes sucked but I didn't know any better. It had the same wheels and three inboard ventilated disk brakes, each one cast iron and weighed slightly less than a boat anchor. After a crash I replaced the front end with a cb750ss and it was a completely different bike.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Captain 80s said:

Holy shit.  Score.  I have a set of Beet (?) Rearsets for the 400 I got ions ago from Japan to adapt to a 500.

How in the hell did those things pop up in your area?

Did you use the rearsets on your 500? Post a picture?

There is a local guy I met a long time ago who was into 500's. He has three I think. He used to race them also. I gave him a call and he had exactly what I needed. And he was eager to let them go. 

Archived