VF400F resto-mod

VF1000RS

• Member Contributer
David Matthews boomerangs on his CB1100F. Not stock hardware:

IMG_8959.JPG.2d87d606c061a4c63f6cfaf72f842eb5.JPG
IMG_8960.thumb.JPG.f38567dd7f0b5f644fe51d2d071a104d.JPG

So it's been done! That's all I need to know, saw writing on rim "do not disassemble" and stopped the thought train there, but now.....action.
Thanks

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
12 hours ago, VF1000RS said:

Now that's a little scary. Comstars by themselves shouldn't be Moving around. At least I don't think they should. What do you think was the cause?

Yep, I did a test fit on a set of CB1000F forks with swing away axle clamps. I would like to use that set up on a VF1000R build I've been thinking of for years; 17" Comstars with the rear widened to 5.5". Powdercoat the sliders fighting red.  Leave the clamps silver. Those 43mm tubes are nice and beefy and no TRAC. 

Nice and subtle. 

As far as the nuts and bolts, why not paint them silver? I'll be doing the rivets that way if/when I have them powdercoated. It doubles the price if I have them masked and coated separate from the black. And I can paint a few rivets convincingly. 

The bike was a stock 85 VF1000R with 14,000 miles on it, never been wrecked.  There was absolutely nothing wrong with the wheels.  I just know the nearly 600 pound bike got enough flex on built up wheels that the powder coat cracked at every spot where the spokes were bolted to the rim.  The powder coat did not seem overly thick, and they never had any other issues over the years.

I've been keeping my eye out for some "The Big One" forks.  I think they are the perfect application on our old VFs.  Conventional, good looking, beefy, and long enough.  They look very period "race" correct.

I was going to hand paint the bolts a nice titanium-ish color, but thought I can always do it later.  Never have. 

• Member Contributer
56 minutes ago, VF1000RS said:

Found it:

CB1000 forks/NS400R wheel/RC51 calipers

Yes.

Any ideas on what rotors will play nicely with that set-up?  Maybe some adapters needed like on the NS forum?

I have a slightly bent front 1000R Comstar that might need to come apart for bolt research.  Like I need another project.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Captain 80s said:

Yes.

Any ideas on what rotors will play nicely with that set-up?  Maybe some adapters needed like on the NS forum?

I have a slightly bent front 1000R Comstar that might need to come apart for bolt research.  Like I need another project.

The CB1000's should be the correct diameter although they won't fit the Comstar as is. The calipers shown also hit the spokes. I haven't revisited this setup but plan to. 

I hear you regarding needing another project!

• Member Contributer

Don't knock the projects....I felt dead inside for so long, now I'm building a bike I feel great. Projects are reason to problem solve but with a good outcome!

• Member Contributer
42 minutes ago, Forbes said:

Don't knock the projects....I felt dead inside for so long, now I'm building a bike I feel great. Projects are reason to problem solve but with a good outcome!

Oh, I'm not knocking them...   It's those reasons that I have so g-damn many going!

Cheers!

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Veefer800Canuck said:

So the bigger rims are finding their way onto the 4/500? Is that what I'm reading here??

The slightly bigger boomerangs from a Euro VF500F2 yes. Not the NS400R/VF wheels. 

• Member Contributer

Probably a set of VF500F forks. I'll rework them I spose; lose the TRAC, emulators maybe, etc. 

• Member Contributer

Makes sense and should be bolt on.   Let me know if you need triple clamps or any misc chassis hardware.  

Originals 35 or 37mm?  Just curious.

Some 86-87 VFR forks would be cool to run the bigger disks if wanted.  Not that the bike needs it, but that's not necessarily why we do these things, is it?

And the VFR front calipers have a slightly more modern look.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 6/11/2017 at 2:32 PM, Captain 80s said:

Makes sense and should be bolt on.   Let me know if you need triple clamps or any misc chassis hardware.  

Originals 35 or 37mm?  Just curious.

Some 86-87 VFR forks would be cool to run the bigger disks if wanted.  Not that the bike needs it, but that's not necessarily why we do these things, is it?

And the VFR front calipers have a slightly more modern look.

Thanks. I may take you up on the triples. Haven't located front end yet. 

Original forks are 35mm. 

Always open to new ideas. 

• Member Contributer

Not much new. The bike came with two lower cowls, both broken. Luckily the plastic is of the thermoplastic type so I was able to use a soldering iron to weld pieces together to make one cowl. 

I took the opportunity to make it look a bit more molded to the Hindle exhaust by adding and shaping plastic. 

IMG_9038.JPG

IMG_9039.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Good job, I'm also working on the same bike, but with totally different project, a race bike. If you need them I have the three discs from the japanese version vf400f that are a direct swap for the vf500f rims and i suppose for the comstar too. they are drilled and are a great improvement to the look, in addition they are in very very good conds.

I had a shot of the discs

SDC16242.JPG

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, pietro said:

Good job, I'm also working on the same bike, but with totally different project, a race bike. If you need them I have the three discs from the japanese version vf400f that are a direct swap for the vf500f rims and i suppose for the comstar too. they are drilled and are a great improvement to the look, in addition they are in very very good conds.

I had a shot of the discs

SDC16242.JPG

What is the diameter? I may be interested. 

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, pietro said:

And here's my project at a beginning stage...

20170414_231346.jpg

IMG-20170424-WA0004.jpg

I had considered going that route as I have the same wheel and swingarm. I found the exhaust I am using so saving those for another project. Interested to see how you do the exhaust. Looks like a very interesting project. 

• Member Contributer

The discs' diameter is 256mm (same as vf500f), and about my project, yes the exhaust is the real challenge couse of the right cams' and carbs ducts' values I have to put into the design software. Then me and my friend Franco shall solder the pipes. But it's a long time term project, so don't expect for the images soon.

• Member Contributer

In any case we have now designed and are machining the final version of the rear shock upper mount. The shock comes from a 1985 rs250gp, front forks from the nc35, brake and clutch radial master cylinder, rear 17" magtek wheel (not sure though, it could be for sale it's in stunning like new condition, being fosfated and powder respryed) I preferre the 18 rear wheel, yoshimura stage 2 cams, ignitech ignition and may be vf500f carbs and fuel pump, many other bits and tricks including some mods to the front part of the fuel tank, to the rear cowl and a new front fairing, may be from the new cbr300 (not sure at this stage), chinese instrument panel and double rads. I expect around 65hp.

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, pietro said:

In any case we have now designed and are machining the final version of the rear shock upper mount. The shock comes from a 1985 rs250gp, front forks from the nc35, brake and clutch radial master cylinder, rear 17" magtek wheel (not sure though, it could be for sale it's in stunning like new condition, being fosfated and powder respryed) I preferre the 18 rear wheel, yoshimura stage 2 cams, ignitech ignition and may be vf500f carbs and fuel pump, many other bits and tricks including some mods to the front part of the fuel tank, to the rear cowl and a new front fairing, may be from the new cbr300 (not sure at this stage), chinese instrument panel and double rads. I expect around 65hp.

Thanks for the rotor info, I need to check what I have. I have the 18" rear from a NC30 if you're interested in a swap of some kind.

Interesting Yoshimura made cams for this bike. 

• Member Contributer
On 18/7/2017 at 6:54 PM, VF1000RS said:

Thanks for the rotor info, I need to check what I have. I have the 18" rear from a NC30 if you're interested in a swap of some kind.

Interesting Yoshimura made cams for this bike. 

Thanks for the offer, but I already have the wheel. I could be interested in Bridgestone bt090 150/60/18 if a recent dot.

Archived