VF400F resto-mod

VF1000RS

• Member Contributer
48 minutes ago, RDMcD said:

My first bike was a cbx 550 , also somewhat rare, and I can attest that the brakes sucked but I didn't know any better. It had the same wheels and three inboard ventilated disk brakes, each one cast iron and weighed slightly less than a boat anchor. After a crash I replaced the front end with a cb750ss and it was a completely different bike.

Yep. Good brakes are a must. I've replaced front ends on a few bikes. It always has turned out soooo much better than the originals. Nothing against restorers but I just don't think I'm one. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I still need to make mounting brackets but used some turtle wax chrome polish for a little protection, a little copper grease on the joints and you get the idea. 

IMG_8754.JPG

IMG_8756.JPG

• Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, VF1000RS said:

Did you use the rearsets on your 500? Post a picture?

There is a local guy I met a long time ago who was into 500's. He has three I think. He used to race them also. I gave him a call and he had exactly what I needed. And he was eager to let them go. 

Haven't mounted them yet.  Planning on using them on my next 500 build.  

large.VF400_Rearsets.jpg.ebcac599cbfaf2f

It looks like I can relocate/add one frame tab so they mount in the same location as the 500 brackets.  I have a full Yosh system for the 500 that I want the mounts to match the correct locations.  They are nice pieces, if not a little overbuilt. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Haven't mounted them yet.  Planning on using them on my next 500 build.  

It looks like I can relocate/add one frame tab so they mount in the same location as the 500 brackets.  I have a full Yosh system for the 500 that I want the mounts to match the correct locations.  They are nice pieces, if not a little overbuilt. 

Trick stuff. 

Full Yoshimura system for the 500 sounds pretty rare. 

I`m not in love with the sound of the Holeshot muffler. Might have to replace that with something that sounds good like I did with my big Interceptor.

• Member Contributer

I did some homework on the Hindle. The mid pipe is a very large diameter. Hindle used to offer a baffle that could be inserted here. Instead of reinventing the wheel I just did what they did to take a bit of the edge off the audio output. I had a poor condition set of Kerker K series headers for a VF750F laying around so I pulled a baffle from one of the mufflers, wrapped it first in stainless mesh then fiberglass wrap and inserted it into the mid pipe. It protrudes the perfect amount to meet up with the muffler. Now it sounds very good. Throaty but not arrest me officer loud. 

IMG_8785.JPG

IMG_8788.JPG

• Member Contributer

Wow, incredible score o the pipe and shock! Looking good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Slow progress. But progress. 

Fuel tank back from Moyers for their blast seal and bake treatment.

Plan on painting this bike so this was a no brainer.  I've dealt with my share of rusty tanks. No worries after this. 

Did fork seals and some brake work as I like to do an occasional test ride while playing, I mean working, on the bikes. Rear brake rotor wasn't warped. Just rusty and the pistons were sticking while the rear rotor was not set in its mounts correctly. Haven't finalized wheels/forks yet so no harm.

IMG_8945.JPG

• Member Contributer

Also started fitting the chin cowl. This one is pretty rough as you can see so a bit of work left to do. A bit of a change with the Hindle so cutting required. Also got the chance to make a mount for the left side top cowl bolt since the motor mount bolt was there but not the nut/mount. A few nuts, a welder and some gun blue and it works. 

IMG_8949.JPG

IMG_8950.JPG

• Member Contributer

Those wheels are one of my favorites. Starting to come together Tom.  No doubt it will look and ride fantastic. Looking forward to the finished product.

• Member Contributer

Those wheels with normal discs is going to look great on that bike.  Nice progress.

• Member Contributer
On 6/1/2017 at 7:28 PM, Kel said:

Those wheels are one of my favorites. Starting to come together Tom.  No doubt it will look and ride fantastic. Looking forward to the finished product.

I talked to a local powdercoater I've used before regarding the bolt/rivet together wheels. It won't be a problem as his oven gets to 380*. Should bring them back to a pristine finish and he does very good work. I'd like to have a setup like yours Kel but I just don't have room. 

• Member Contributer
On 6/2/2017 at 0:37 PM, Captain 80s said:

Those wheels with normal discs is going to look great on that bike.  Nice progress.

I think so too. Should stop a bit better as well. 

• Member Contributer
On 6/4/2017 at 10:42 PM, VF1000RS said:

I talked to a local powdercoater I've used before regarding the bolt/rivet together wheels. It won't be a problem as his oven gets to 380*. Should bring them back to a pristine finish and he does very good work. I'd like to have a setup like yours Kel but I just don't have room. 

Years ago, a friend of mine had his 1000R Comstars powder coated white.  Looked great with good coverage.  A little while later, we noticed a slight "creaking" when rolling the bike around and putting it on the side stand.  Couldn't figure it out.  Not the bearings, brakes, chain, etc.  Finally figured it out...   when the wheel was used hard enough to flex a little in the first couple rides, it cracked the powder coat at every juncture where the spokes met the rim.  Then the hard powder coat finish creaked a little against itself at the cracks.  Never did anything worse in the time that he owned it, but I knew I would not be powder coating Comstars.

He did ride that heavy 1000R pretty hard and fast, your results may vary.

Mike.

You're not likely to see another one of those on the road.

Looking good. :fing02:

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

Years ago, a friend of mine had his 1000R Comstars powder coated white.  Looked great with good coverage.  A little while later, we noticed a slight "creaking" when rolling the bike around and putting it on the side stand.  Couldn't figure it out.  Not the bearings, brakes, chain, etc.  Finally figured it out...   when the wheel was used hard enough to flex a little in the first couple rides, it cracked the powder coat at every juncture where the spokes met the rim.  Then the hard powder coat finish creaked a little against itself at the cracks.  Never did anything worse in the time that he owned it, but I knew I would not be powder coating Comstars.

He did ride that heavy 1000R pretty hard and fast, your results may vary.

Mike.

Good information and I _think_ I remember something about this back then(maybe?). I wonder what temperature they used in their oven? My guy is using 380* . That isn't enough to affect the rivets but I imagine it's a possibility that the aluminum of the wheel will expand at higher temp and contract after. 

I also wonder if the creaking noise you heard could have been the floating rotors on the VF1000R? I have heard similar from bone stock VF1000R's and concluded it is the rotors floating. It does concern me the cracking along the edges where the different parts meet. 

I also have a front 17" wheel made up from NS400R parts so I am very interested in how this all turns out. A friend has boomerangs that were dissassembled, polished and bolted back together in lieu of rivets on his CB1100F. Works just fine. Not sure about that but I have also seen Japanese sites showing rebuilding these. Interesting topic for sure. 

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

You're not likely to see another one of those on the road.

Looking good. :fing02:

Thanks. Lots to do. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VF1000RS said:

Good information and I _think_ I remember something about this back then(maybe?). I wonder what temperature they used in their oven? My guy is using 380* . That isn't enough to affect the rivets but I imagine it's a possibility that the aluminum of the wheel will expand at higher temp and contract after. 

I also wonder if the creaking noise you heard could have been the floating rotors on the VF1000R? I have heard similar from bone stock VF1000R's and concluded it is the rotors floating. It does concern me the cracking along the edges where the different parts meet. 

I also have a front 17" wheel made up from NS400R parts so I am very interested in how this all turns out. A friend has boomerangs that were dissassembled, polished and bolted back together in lieu of rivets on his CB1100F. Works just fine. Not sure about that but I have also seen Japanese sites showing rebuilding these. Interesting topic for sure. 

It wasn't the process, as the coating wasn't cracked when the wheels came back or after mounting the tires.  And it def was the powder coating cracks making the noise as we confirmed it manipulating the wheels and using a mechanics stethoscope.  

I've seen pictures of your wheel mounted on either CB1000 or CBR900RR forks?  Very cool.  I've seen the Japanese write-ups of them dis-assembling and re-assembling the Comstars.  I wanted to do that on one of my 1000Rs I restored, but my paint job came out really nice (it was kinda a bitch tho), so I didn't pursue it any further.  Only thing that looks off is that the bolts and nuts are black.  They were pretty corroded, so I prepped them and didn't mask them.

• Member Contributer

A friend has boomerangs that were dissassembled, polished and bolted back together in lieu of rivets on his CB1100F. Works just fine. Not sure about that but I have also seen Japanese sites showing rebuilding these. Interesting topic for sure. 

VF1000R I'd be very interested in a link to this, just received my second 17' vf1000 rear rim which I'm going to sacrifice to widen to take a 180 tyre. If I can disassemble it will give me finishing options.
Thanks
Craig
Ps, did I say before, 400's a very nifty piece of machinery, and agree, I haven't seen one since late '80's.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, Forbes said:

A friend has boomerangs that were dissassembled, polished and bolted back together in lieu of rivets on his CB1100F. Works just fine. Not sure about that but I have also seen Japanese sites showing rebuilding these. Interesting topic for sure. 

VF1000R I'd be very interested in a link to this, just received my second 17' vf1000 rear rim which I'm going to sacrifice to widen to take a 180 tyre. If I can disassemble it will give me finishing options.
Thanks
Craig
Ps, did I say before, 400's a very nifty piece of machinery, and agree, I haven't seen one since late '80's.

This isn't exactly what I was talking about, but it is completely relevant.  I'll keep searching.

http://www.ns400r.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3811

• Member Contributer

This isn't exactly what I was talking about, but it is completely relevant.  I'll keep searching.

Thanks Captain, interesting build. So anything is possible if you're game....just my kind of attitude. I do have the boomerang's?
48da39371d724620a03c61228cb336f8.jpg

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

It wasn't the process, as the coating wasn't cracked when the wheels came back or after mounting the tires.  And it def was the powder coating cracks making the noise as we confirmed it manipulating the wheels and using a mechanics stethoscope.  

I've seen pictures of your wheel mounted on either CB1000 or CBR900RR forks?  Very cool.  I've seen the Japanese write-ups of them dis-assembling and re-assembling the Comstars.  I wanted to do that on one of my 1000Rs I restored, but my paint job came out really nice (it was kinda a bitch tho), so I didn't pursue it any further.  Only thing that looks off is that the bolts and nuts are black.  They were pretty corroded, so I prepped them and didn't mask them.

Now that's a little scary. Comstars by themselves shouldn't be Moving around. At least I don't think they should. What do you think was the cause?

Yep, I did a test fit on a set of CB1000F forks with swing away axle clamps. I would like to use that set up on a VF1000R build I've been thinking of for years; 17" Comstars with the rear widened to 5.5". Powdercoat the sliders fighting red.  Leave the clamps silver. Those 43mm tubes are nice and beefy and no TRAC. 

Nice and subtle. 

As far as the nuts and bolts, why not paint them silver? I'll be doing the rivets that way if/when I have them powdercoated. It doubles the price if I have them masked and coated separate from the black. And I can paint a few rivets convincingly. 

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Forbes said:

Thanks
Craig

I'll see if I can find the links. Probably saved to one of the computers. 

Interesting about widening the R rear. Been thinking about this for years. Just haven't done it or had it done. See above post. 

Yep i I think the 400 should be a good time. 

Archived