Fuel pump will not prime

MarcMelrose

Hello everyone,

I have a 1998 Honda Vfr800 and the fuel pump does not cut on. The bike tries to turn over but never actually does. My ignition fuse kept blowing so I tried to find the problem. When I unplug the fuel relay and turned the key, the bike stopped blowing the fuse but still did not turn completely over. I plug the relay back in then tried again and the fuse blew. I had my friend hold the bike steady and I put the kickstand up and the fuse did not blow. I placed the kickstand back down and turned the key once more and no pop! I was ecstatic to see that the fuse did not pop. Thinking that I solved the problem, I tried to turn the bike on and still nothing. I did more research and I kept seeing forums about the bank angle sensor. The forums were saying to try and bypass the sensor in order to see if the fuel pump would make noise. Before I did that I wanted to try and see if she would turn over on last time, so I turned the key and....POP. Yes I blew another fuse (20amp)! I unplug the bank angle sensor replaced the fuse and then tried to turn the key and the fuse did not blow, but the fuel pump still isn't coming on. Can someone give me any advice? Should I try and bypass the bank angle sensor just to see if I need to replace it? I'm not going to try and bypass the sensor then leave it like that, from what I've read this sensor can mean life or death for me and anyone else around. I never dropped the bike but the previous probably did because there is a dent in the fuel tank and scratches on the side. I had the bike for a few months before this problem occurred.  

• Member Contributer

Disconnect the wires to fuel pump to note if the fuse still blows or not... this will either eliminate or pin point the pump as the problem...

Archived