95 VFR carb questions

Picked up what I thought was going to be an easy project before winter last year... straightened out some harness issues and a few other things since it was crashed and whoever attempted to fix it made things worse. It's in ready to ride shape except for some carb issues now. It sat with fuel in them for a long while for sure, got them all cleaned up and some new needles for the float bowls. It runs ok at first after it's been sitting then if you try and let it idle it loads up and dies because the plugs are fouled. Hooked up tank to carbs with no pump and turned on the fuel you can hear it run right through into cylinders. That means the float bowls still aren't sealing correctly? Can I get some adjustable floats for this thing? You can see fuel run straight from the needle that runs through the flat slide. Thanks in advance this things been a headache just wanna get out and go for a cruise.

• Member Contributer

Drop the floats into a container of gas, and let em sit for a day. You may be surprised to find them at the bottom. Ethanol eats carbs. 

It's also possible the carbs aren't as clean as you thought they were. DAMHIK

I would recommend a full overhaul of the carbs. Look for corrosion everywhere possible. I will have to find the website but you can buy ethanol resistant seal kits. Have a couple cans of carb cleaner, spray through every hole but remove all the rubber seals first as carb cleaner is not good for them. Take your time and be as methodical as you can.

The floats are in fuel waiting to see what happens there. Seems to be just the floats not sealing. If you torch off the plugs and fire it up it runs as it should but it's definitely getting too much fuel. Been through the carbs had to go through it with torch tip cleaners. The floats move freely and there's no corrosion where the float valve seals it's just like it's not sealing. The floats are all plastic so I can't adjust anything

• Member Contributer

Watch this video and the rest, I think it goes up to part 7. Some of it is a bit tedious, but awesome information that would take endless hours of reading to comprehend. He explains the function, and cleaning/adjusting of every part of the carb. I watched them all twice, and did the carbs on my SV650  - it was a breeze!

Awesome thanks. Thinking I'm just gonna reset everything I can. Like 95 percent sure now I'm fighting my floats not seating in the seat correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't fighting floats, vent looked like it was working and wasn't once I blew it out of the hose it idles fine and doesn't stall out. What's the stock one look like?

63bec4a452d86a045cca6de501791aef.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yeah that vent hose just goes to nowhere. Wondered about that myself. Also check the secondary filter that hangs off the side of the airbox. You can cut up a cheap lawnmower air filter if the foam element has disintegrated.

I've got no foam filter or anything there was wondering about that. Had some sort of plug in there wasn't doing what it was supposed to. Didn't know it wasn't factory don't plug it off it does bad things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I had that issue before also, the rubber tips on the float valve needle had deteriorated and were not sealing, so fuel kept filling the float bowls.... Good Luck!

one tip I can offer here is this; with the carbs off, take a q tip and dip it in a tiny bit of quality metal polish. Put the polished tipped q tip in the needle seat and spin it by hand or hook it up to a drill and polish the seat. Many times the seat will have corrosion in it and it won't allow the needle to sit properly. Another tip is to gently rub each side of the needle with that same set up of a q tip and polish to make sure the sides don't hang on the needle seat. The cleaner and slicker it is, the better it generally works.

That's what I ended up doing eventually wish I knew about that first. I was fighting that plugged vent and didn't know it it runs good now the float valves were new still syncing in the carbs but it can ride now

Archived