Metzeler Roadtec 01 - Early Experiences

Africord

• Member Contributer

Okay. I've put about 100 miles on and I can tell you that the feedback and feel from these tires are great! The ride is comfortable, and they are oblivious to a little moisture. Now let's see what they look like after 5,000 miles. I had the Angel GTs before and was pretty unhappy by that point. Anyone else want to chime in?

Brian

• Member Contributer

I have about 2000km on my Roadtecs, no noticeable wear (or it is very even) and I concur that these are a very comfortable and confidence inspiring tyre. I came across a ribbon of water on an otherwise dry bend last weekend whilst pressing on (toe slider down, not far short of pegs down) and while I expected a pucker moment, the tyres didn't notice.

• 2 months later...

Buy, buy, buy, best tires I have ever tried.  Stable, comfortable, improves the suspension.  Just had a trip through Scotland, fantastic roads and wet or dry always 100% confident.  Not cheap but seem to be wearing well after 2,000 miles, got a trip to Assen next to see the Moto GP, will certainly last the distance.

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, Carlosfandango said:

Buy, buy, buy, best tires I have ever tried.  Stable, comfortable, improves the suspension.  Just had a trip through Scotland, fantastic roads and wet or dry always 100% confident.  Not cheap but seem to be wearing well after 2,000 miles, got a trip to Assen next to see the Moto GP, will certainly last the distance.

Well maybe a $40 rebate might make these even more enticing to some...Metzeler June-August Rebate

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Carlosfandango said:

Just for variety, I put some Bridgestone T30Evos on my VTR1000 recently, and I still have the Roadtecs on my VFR. The two bikes are fairly similar from a chassis perspective, so I think are a good way to compare the two tire sets. The T30's are immediately noticeably for a harder ride, and also being a bit less stable/faster steering than the Roadtecs. I also found the T30's needed more run-in time before the back especially would grip well coming out of a bend, but now they have plenty of traction I can't comment on the relative wear rates. The T30 has a more wrapped-around tread so there looks to be quite a bit of unused tread on the edge, where the Roadtecs are worn from edge to edge at a similar riding pace. I'm unchanged in my opinion that the Roadtec is the far superior road tire. 

I recently  put a T30 Evo on the back of my ST1100, and that tire worked well from the first rotation, and actually felt softer riding than the BT020R (crossply) that it replaced, but I don't think the T30 will give the 10,000km life that that tire gave. 

Archived