Throttle tamer installation for VFR1200F

arrow

Question

• Member Contributer

Hi everyone,

I bought a throttle tamer for my VFR1200F which has original Honda heated grips. The mechanic told me there's a big possibility that the heated grip  might be damaged during removal and installation. I obviously don't want that to happen so I postponed the installation for now. What do you think? Is there a trick to removing heated grips without damaging them? I really want to get the throttle tamer on so your comments will be much appreciated...

3 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

It depends on how the heated grips are installed, and I am no expert here as my heated grips are aftermarket Oxfords.  If you have an air compressor, what I do is put on a tapered nozzle and after removing bar ends, I work the nozzle under the edge of the grip while blowing air full blast, moving it circumferentially around the grip and at the same time pulling the grip off.  If your grips are glued on, or there is a heating element that is glued on this will likely not work.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I've used Honda Handlebar Cement for the installation of the heated grips. 

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/998/35728/Pro-Honda-Handgrip-Cement

Probably does not bode well for the installation of the throttle tamer. Aw shucks!

Yikes.  When I install new grips I just use hairspray.  The cheaper the spray the better.  When it dries, it's really tacky and has yet to cause a problem.

As far as removing the grips, I use isopropyl alcohol.  It helps lubricate things (or at least reduce the coefficient of friction enough to work the grips loose) and evaporates within a few minutes.

You may be SOL since you used cement, but I would try the air hose method along with the isopropyl alcohol... You may get lucky.  I've had a G2 throttle tamer on my 1200 for  a few years now and it's been pretty awesome.

Archived