83 VF750F - Leaky clutch pushrod seal - solution sought

schwarzc

Hello!

Short description: I have a 83 VF750F, and i cant get the clutch push rod seal to seal properly. I changed the seal itself 3 times (2 times aftermarket, 1 time an original Honda part), and it is still leaking oil. Not much, but still annoyingly enough to see sometimes a little bit of smoke from the collector at the stoplight. (where the oil drips onto and vaporizes there)
The push rod has been cleaned and the surface is good.
Its diameter is 7.95mm.

The oil leak does only occur when riding.
AFAIK, the problem is a small radial movement of the push rod when driving, where it pushes the seal lip around.

I found "Teflon shrink wrap" as solution that worked for one guy, but not for another - so I will try it, but i dont trust it.

Does anybody know this problem or do you know a permanent solution besides the Teflon shrink wrap?

• Member Contributer

Edit:  Nevermind.  Didn't read the 1st post good enough.

Do you know for sure it's the push rod seal that is dripping oil? 

I can't remember on the VF750, but on the 500 the rod is symmetrical allowing you to flip it and change where the oil seals wears on the shaft.

Oh, and I have used the high heat shrink tube method on my VF500F race bike and it has been working great.

• Member Contributer

The shrinkwrap didnot work on my vf500f2, drastic measures were called for since the offical method is to split the cases...

Browse through my mbd posting at your leasure.... :-)

Yes, it is the push rod seal for sure.

The seal has been installed with the help of a bit in the right size and is in the correct position. Between seal and gearbox cover, I used the blue "Hylomar" sealant. The only way, oil can leak is from the push rod.

Yes, I know, I can switch the push rod, and I already did. No change.

In the meantime, I ordered a new push rod (gotta rule everything out before doing into major modifications), and I still have to try the PFTE shrink wrap mod, ....
To my luck, I dont have to split the cases to remove the the gearbox cover, however I will browse trough your history to find the information.
Thanks!

Did you actually try the Teflon shrink wrap? 

Also, what oil are you running? I discovered that running synthetic (Amsoil 10-40 in this case) much improved the drip out of the clutch pushrod seal on my 1984 VF750F. Conventional oil made it leak a great deal more.

I tried the Teflon shrink wrap, but it failed.

I run a house brand 10-40 of a local motorcycle accessories shop - no problems with this oil in other bikes, ...

Now I applied an extra O-Ring inside the Seal (where the spring goes, to increase the pretension, the seal has to the push rod) and ordered a new push rod.

As soon, as I tested this combination, I will let you know about the results

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived