WSBK Laguna Seca here I come

YoshiHNS

• Member Contributer

Officially going to the WSBK race at Laguna this year. Decided that I better go now while all the snobs building mansions around the track don't build a condo at the crest of the corkscrew and shut it down.

Super excited. This will be my first motorsport race experience period.

Anyone else going? I will be camping up at the turn 11 area for the weekend.

I've been driving and riding to events at Laguna since the 80's. Riding in and out with red tag parking is definitely the way to go. 

Sadly, I too believe that the elite rank class race days are numbered (regardless of Rainey's influence)  due to the increasing land development mentioned above, the need to for safety upgrade run offs for today's race tech, etc.

The new land owners want their peace and quiet, especially on weekends.

Once the viability of club track days and vintage racing programs wanes for this non-profit SCRAMP, "It's over Johnny". :(

Cali-coast.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm going to try and go but I have a huge project that will be in full steam mode in July and no time off unless things are going smoothly. We'll see how it goes closer to the date. Crossing my fingers that things will go well.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, YoshiHNS said:

Officially going to the WSBK race at Laguna this year. Decided that I better go now while all the snobs building mansions around the track don't build a condo at the crest of the corkscrew and shut it down.

Laguna Seca is a marvellous place to watch a race. Don't just plunk down at T11, put on those hiking boots on and traipse around the whole track. For viewing the on-track action try the hillside above T2, the exit of T3, the entry to T5, and of course, the Corkscrew. They all have their appeal. 

If you haven't attended before don't forget sunscreen, a hat, good shoes, and extra clothes. California's marine layer can sometimes mean a fogged-in track till noon. If it's breezy even a bright sunny days means the temp struggles to reach the high-70's. Mind you, 2006 saw record heat in excess of 100 ℉. Think, boy scout.

While there is free parking but I prefer to pay for a spot at Red 9. It is paved, and close to the start/finish ped. overpass.

Do try to get down to Cannery Row in Monterey for Saturday night. The street is closed to cars and the exhibitionists put their exotic, old, or just plain unusual bikes 

on display. 

Normally, I'd suggest a ride down the coast to Big Sur sometime during race weekend but a bridge outage there limits access. Check the highway info beforehand.

3 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

LS is a really cool venue. I saw Nicky wim there in 2006, and except for getting in and out of the grounds, it was a really awesome time

No worries, Seb. Access is much easier & crowds reduced since the (hopefully not permanent) end of the MotoGP era. Attendance was at a nadir for the fall 2013 WSBK race, but has improved every year since. Last summer's race had a good crowd and plenty of vendors. 

In 2006, unusually high temps of 100+ ℉, a new traffic plan, and massive crowds for the return of MotoGP - and local hero Nicky Hayden - had more than a few people loose their cool.

I was supposed to come over for the 2000 race, Fish had offered me a 3rd Gen bike to use whilst I was there and I was going to meet Hege K, Pam B, Lorne and others. Didn't make it and still regret it.

I have some Aunts in Pebble Beach, Aussie girls who married American guys. Since my mum passed away I've wanted to catch up with them, might be time to put it on the front burner so I can see LS before it perishes... I've seen a few Australian racetracks go in my time.

• Member Contributer

Reservations made, planning to be there with the SO, she's excited to see her first bike race in person. 

The best of the best Laguna is IMO. There's really no wrong spot on the facility to watch the race from. just be ready to jog around.    Like others have said get yourself in shape for hiking, be ready for some crazy change in the weather as the day moves along too. 

DSC00787_zpsr8ci6jei.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm trying to get my dad to at least do some exercising on the pedal bike, but no luck yet. Told him it's pretty much a 3 mile walk around the track, so he better be ready for it.

Just realized yesterday that I haven't made accommodations for thursday night when we land in SF. But super excited that plane ticket price dropped almost $200. Procrastination pays sometimes. 

3 hours ago, YoshiHNS said:

. Told him it's pretty much a 3 mile walk around the track,

With some pretty good elevation changes, up and down.

I remember huffing and puffing my way up the hill quite a few times.

You can see a good part of the track from up there, below the corkscrew.

• Member Contributer

Don't worry I claim squatters rights at Cork Screw so no Condo  as long as my umbrella girl holds out...

LarryPataModel2.JPG

18 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

as long as my umbrella girl holds out...

Looks like she is saying watch your hand, Larry. :goofy:

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I have never regretted going. My favorite part is the ride up there. For years my friends had a premier campsite above turn 5. That was the next favorite thing "the camp scene." The racing and gear shopping paddock walking and Cannery Row shenanigans all combine for third place. I have even perfected the dreaded ride home on Sunday by taking another day off to recover in San Luis Obispo where I can visit my son at college. 

I guess this is the long way of saying i am going but have no solid plans yet.

• Member Contributer

Still have to figure out where to sleep Thursday night. Chevy Spark on the side of the road doesn't sound that great.

Nope, but I remember getting Wayne Rainey to autograph my shirt with his pic on it after the races and most people were gone.

Same year they named turn 9 Rainey curve. Happened to be camping at track that year. What year was that?

The shirt has not been washed since, still has the original Laguna Seca dirt on it, along with Rainey sig.

Got Doohan sig on a Doohan championship shirt too. Different year, and I was lucky to be wearing that particular shirt at the time.

If I could get one with a Schwantz sig, that would complete the trio.

I should find a way to go this year. And get a revvin' Kevin shirt first. :wink:

• Member Contributer
On 6/20/2017 at 1:23 PM, YoshiHNS said:

I'm trying to get my dad to at least do some exercising on the pedal bike, but no luck yet. Told him it's pretty much a 3 mile walk around the track, so he better be ready for it.

Still have to figure out where to sleep Thursday night.

Yoshi, no sweat about getting your dad up & the hills as there are plenty of SCRAMP volunteers w/golf carts to assist. Also, it is worth pricing some of the motels in the Monterey area as Thursday's rates can be a small fraction of the weekend.

• Member Contributer
On 4/4/2017 at 6:28 AM, The Phantom said:

I was supposed to come over for the 2000 race… Didn't make it and still regret it.

Yeah, us old timers would have loved to have met you at Laguna Seca. That would have been right in the middle of the 10 year WSB era there, and at a time when AMA Superbike was a force to reckon with. Nicky Hayden beat Mladin for the AMA Superbike win, and Haga and Corser split the WSB races. Ah, the good old days.

Lee... this BMW photo really makes my hand look inappropriate...

09CWshow054.thumb.JPG.9d14942fde5b3431bcc372bf37b62ff3.JPG

Nice bike. Wouldn't mind slipping her into gear, I mean, wouldn't mind slipping my gear into her, sorry, I mean, wouldn't mind slipping into her gear... I will get it right...

• Member Contributer

Marv and I were lucky enough to snag a display gig for our bikes with Russ Brown... after which we'll be in front of Coopers on the row... so VFRD members come on by and visit...

On 6/25/2017 at 1:38 PM, duccmann said:

My hero

On bended knee. I did much the same thing. :happy:

Thinking about it. I see motel prices look better than last time I went, in 2011.

But with Hwy 1 closed in Big Sur, it takes away a BIG part of the fun. :unsure:

I know some people are talking about driving. In a car.

Not sure if blasphemy is the right word, but geez. :tongue:

• Member Contributer

Rental car was easier to deal with than dealing with the limited selection of rental bikes, and then working around the hours you can pick up and drop off. Sometimes you gotta take what you can get.

Getting things together, getting super excited.

15 minutes ago, YoshiHNS said:

Rental car was easier to deal with than dealing with the limited selection of rental bikes, and then working around the hours you can pick up and drop off. Sometimes you gotta take what you can get.

Getting things together, getting super excited.

Hey, if you're flying in you have a good excuse. I'm talking guys that could easily ride up in 1 day. :wheel:

Enjoy the races and trip!

Archived