Just picked up a 93 vfr750f

What's up everyone! I just picked up a 93 vfr750f with 18k miles for $700 bucks.

The owner misrepresented it a good bit. Clutch is not engaging, engine won't turn over (I put in in 2nd and tried to rotate it from the rear wheel), carbs are dirty, airbox was removed and the tray that connects the airbox to the carbs doesn't want to go back on. It hits the brass nozzles and doesn't want to get past them. All the insulator bands appear to be missing except one he handed me. Many bolts and screws missing. Every fairing is cracked somewhere. No battery.

3b4f1460b6a4185eee59732541578db1.jpg

He said it's been sitting for 3 years because one day it wouldn't start anymore and he thought it was an electrical issue. Said the receiver started smoking last time he tried to start it. He bought a new one but never tried to start it again.

c8272e05eb91860d9382b69d21612467.jpg

I actually like the bike more than I thought I would. I only looked at it to used the wheels, swingarm, forks, and brakes on a 1980 cb750 I rebuilt last year.

My plan now is to see if I can get it running. If I can I want to do a tail swap with a cbr600rr and replace all the fairings maybe with an Airtech kit.

This would only be my second build. Third time cleaning carbs.

I sprayed some wd40 down past the butterflies through the carbs in hopes I can get the engine free. If that doesn't work I try spray it into the spark plug holes in case the rims are rusted to the cylinders.

Looking for opinions, thoughts, experience with a vfr in this condition.

Is it even worth fixing? I'm not worried about the $700 if the engine is shot I feel like the running gear is worth that much and it would look awesome on my CB. But at the same time I've always been interested in the vfrs and doing the custom work on this would be sweet!

b257e91410119e87204dcfe89e7b5a06.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Welcome aboard.

Did it come with a clean title?

The engine - open the cap on the clutch cover, make sure its in neutral, spray cylinders through the spark holes and try to turn with a wrench.

It could be a fun project.

Enjoy!

Quick update it does have the insulator bands I just didn't know where to look. I pulled the carbs and am cleaning them now. There was a fair amount of dirt and grit in there.

I also pulled the clutch mc and found it full of sludge. That's going to need to be rebuilt or replaced. Not sure how easy it is to find a good one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard.
Did it come with a clean title?
The engine - open the cap on the clutch cover, make sure its in neutral, spray cylinders through the spark holes and try to turn with a wrench.
It could be a fun project.
Enjoy!

Thanks I wasn't sure where to hand crank from I'll give that a shot!

Thanks I wasn't sure where to hand crank from I'll give that a shot!

Oh yes it did come with a clean title too. Good news the engine is free it's turning over no problem with a wrench. Maybe it won't be so bad after all. Carbs are almost done. Just have to deal with the clutch and toss in a battery I think.

More testing done.

Stator had continuity on all 3 wires. Not too sure about the rectifier. My meter was giving me numbers that matched the shop manual. I got numbers between 030 and 570. The manual say .5 and 10.

I thinking an easier way to test is to check voltage while revving. I read if the voltage should be between 14 and 16.5. bad unit can make it low or as high as 30v.

Here are a few pics from today.

Nasty Clutch MC
43dc6899a58f562ad6b24edeb2f85664.jpg

Carbs weren't terrible but had grit in them and a little oxidation. I've seen a lot worse. I broke the down and cleaned them well. Never can trust carbs on a bike that hasn't started in awhile.
a2f8449dd6831483e1023ee17db01278.jpg

This is me trying to remember we're the clutch and throttle clamps go for reassemble.
a780a10f8a32ff0688c74115a54a159d.jpg

Thinking about replacing the left handle bar. Strange gnash going on.
f0b2246b1e6c76ac32982817437f48bd.jpg

Ordered all the missing screws and stuff for the air box from hondapartshouse. Also got a new air filter, oil filter, spark plugs, and a alternator cover gasket since mine broke pulling the cover off, or it was already broken.

Ordered a battery for a 2010 cbr600rr since I plan to swap the tail with that model. Also found a good used clutch MC on ebay.

After today I'm thinking this thing will run again without too much more trouble. Won't know until all my parts come in. All together that was another $200ish invested. Those screws are expensive at $2.95 each. Wish the previous owner had not lost them. That's what happens when you take something​ apart and never put it back together I guess.

I really don't like the modeled turn signals. Anyone try to cut them out and fiber glass the holes closed then mount smaller signals? I'd love to see a pic. Thinking about getting RC30 bodywork but they had round head lights. Not sure if my lights would fit right. The fairing comes filled in so maybe it could be cut to fit, or maybe I could add fiberglass to mould them in. Hmmm decisions decisions.

I bought some JB weld pastic weld to try and glue some of the cracks back together. Maybe I can fix/modify the stock plastics instead of replacing them.

• Member Contributer

Welcome,
Anything is worth fixing if it has value in your eyes, seems you're halfway there anyway.
Good find, if you haven't had a V four before, careful, they're addictive....
Following with interest!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum and good luck with your project. I'll be following your progress also.

Reminds me of myself. Bought a non working bike thinking I could sell the parts if I cannot do anything with it. Finally engaged in a long a costly restoration ;-)

Good luck with this project and thanks for sharing your progress(es).

• Member Contributer

They were done by hand, but at the factory.

Ciao,

Screwed up and ordered a brake mc instead of the clutch. Tried using mine but no matter how many time I try to bleed the line using a vacuum pump there is always air in it. I have the clutch mc on the way, anyone need a good used brake mc? Or want a clutch mc that needs rebuilt?

All the other parts are here. I plan to get the carbs and airbox back in tomorrow.

Decided to work on the cb750 today instead. Pulled the engine using this new lift I got at harbor freight, this thing is awesome!
Getting a big bore kit installed. Soon to be cb823.

Back to work on the vfr after dropping the cylinders off to the machinist. 5f868ed82cae71b273ad2769a060487f.jpg

Nice one!!, I picked up one exactly the same in red; same condition carbs looked exactly the same clutch MC looked identical to yours. after having to order the T junction on the carbs from Japan which took 4+ weeks to arrive I've just got fuel through the whole system again tonight but the battery I'm using to crank is on its last legs so it on charge until I can get enough juice in it to crank it over tomorrow, only thing is compression seems really good and struggles to fully crank. (Could be battery) will keep udated on your thread because it'll be handy to bounce comparisons off each other given the same condition they are both in. My original thread is here if you want to see how almost identical they are in condition

Nice one!!, I picked up one exactly the same in red; same condition carbs looked exactly the same clutch MC looked identical to yours. after having to order the T junction on the carbs from Japan which took 4+ weeks to arrive I've just got fuel through the whole system again tonight but the battery I'm using to crank is on its last legs so it on charge until I can get enough juice in it to crank it over tomorrow, only thing is compression seems really good and struggles to fully crank. (Could be battery) will keep udated on your thread because it'll be handy to bounce comparisons off each other given the same condition they are both in. My original thread is here if you want to see how almost identical they are in condition

I'll be happy to check it out. Good luck getting it started. I still haven't cranked mine over with the starter yet. Need to finish installing the carbs and airbox still. I'm also refinishing the alternator cover since I pulled it off to make sure the engine was free. Need to finish that and get the clutch working too.

55 minutes ago, phparray said:

I'll be happy to check it out. Good luck getting it started. I still haven't cranked mine over with the starter yet. Need to finish installing the carbs and airbox still. I'm also refinishing the alternator cover since I pulled it off to make sure the engine was free. Need to finish that and get the clutch working too.

Seems like pretty standard stuff but what did was pulled the spark plugs put it in 6th gear put a small amount of 2 stroke oil down each cylinder and turned the back wheel quite a few times just get get the oil in the cylinders flowing through all the passages. My dip stick was completey dry because it was on the side stand for 3+ years there wasn't a drop of oil on the cylinder walls despite being brand new oil.

Also with the carb rebuild I too struggled to get the top plate back on because of the brass nipples I had to loosen the carbs on the mount that hold them all together so I could jig the around to get the plate on then tightened everything back up. I GoPro'd the whole disassembly/ rebuild I'm yet to edit and upload to YouTube (I'll do it one day soon when I'm not actually working on the bike)

IMG_20170304_134009.jpg

Did you really need to pull the carb plate? Seems excessive to simply clean the bowls, etc.

In terms of fairing, the bike will look (in a word) crap with the RC30 fairing as you've got those big fins on the back end of the frame that meet the rear fairing. I'd just dig about for standard fairing that you're missing/have that are beyond repair and get it back to standard. The later 94-97 bike converts to an RC30 quite well as the frame is nigh on identical looking.

Save yourself a few dollars :)

They can be so very pretty in standard fairing form...

IMAG0646.thumb.jpg.771c6a0fd9e3ae11c9b9cedf59e90f99.jpg

IMAG0645.thumb.jpg.d8c5e64513247bd3b2f1361387d35df4.jpg
16864965_1340986649356024_1633868563069814646_n.jpg.b4c4ade73260a51fd515e6aec2df983c.jpg

Great looking bike. I didn't actually take the airbox to carb plate off. The previous owner did and never put it back together. I think that's the real reason it sat for so long. I did leave the carbs on the rack to clean them.

I may return to stock fairings. Mine are pretty busted up and the upper appears to have two mount point broken off and missing. The RC30 fairings look too small. I hear you need a smaller radiator to make it work. Plus what do you do with a headlight and cluster that is most likely is too high. I'm leaning toward stock or rvf fairings from the same year. Not to create clone but just to get a better looking fairing, imo.

I do have all of the stock plastics though. The sides don't look too terrible but it seems like every piece is cracked. I'd rather spend time fabricating/customizing than plastic welding. The back is just too​ boxy as well so a rear conversion is definitely happening.

If it wasn't​ in such rough shape I'd keep it stock.

Still no clutch after installing the used clutch mc. Decided to rebuild the slave cylinder. It was a mess. Had to use the air compressor to pop the piston out. Ordered​ a k&l rebuild kit. Hopefully that will do it.

Archived