Linked Braking

Ch8846

Hi guys,

As a new vfr owner I have a question about linked brakes and low speed u turns etc. I can usually apply the rear brake in slow speed situations to stabilize the bike and make it stand up,

does linked braking that includes the front brake also being applied affect that negatively??

• Member Contributer

I use the rear brake pedal exclusively for low speed control. I have no problems dragging it and getting the desired results.

Linked will apply some front but not enough to negatively offset anything for low speed, at least in my opinion. I've seen some fine motogymkhana on CBS setups, too.

Thanks for the reply, I know what I'm used to so this looks like no difference.

• Member Contributer

(since 5th and 6th gen linked brakes are similar in behavior...) parking lot speeds aren't enough for me to notice if the rear brake pedal affects the front at all, to me it all works fine and is super stable. the _only_ thing that I don't like about linked brakes is that you can't "test" traction on different surfaces by seeing how quick the rear locks, because it won't.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, thereisnospoon said:

(since 5th and 6th gen linked brakes are similar in behavior...) parking lot speeds aren't enough for me to notice if the rear brake pedal affects the front at all, to me it all works fine and is super stable. the _only_ thing that I don't like about linked brakes is that you can't "test" traction on different surfaces by seeing how quick the rear locks, because it won't.

Are you sure you're not confusing Linked Brakes with ABS? You can certainly lock up the rear brake on any surface with linked brakes.

• Member Contributer

Parking lot turns are not a problem with linked brakes.

It does get a touch uneasy on gravely downhills, but his is a 1% fringe case.

Otherwise, I absolutely love them.

Combined with ABS - Perfect.

Thanks for all the replies, I wanted ABS also but this current bike was too good a deal to pass up.

Archived