Denali split sound bomb

Samuelx

Caveat 1 - this installation is a little mickey mouse/ghetto
Caveat 2 - I haven't put everything back together yet - have other mods I'm working on - so only 98% or so sure about this

Removed the stock horn and put the compressor basically in its place - hose clamped it to the stock horn mounting bracket
15zmck0.jpg

Front view - note that the compressor body "overlaps" the curved plastic part, that will cause some mickey mousing later
2q205kw.jpg

This is the area I chose for the horn, wanted to find a spot where I could mount it and have the opening of the horn face forward.  Top yellow arrow shows a little dremeling into the bracket so I could fit the link through (reason for the two links is because the edges of the brackets are kinda sharp and I was worried about zip ties and/or 550 cord being cut through over time).  Lower arrow shows a wiring guide that I reverse mounted (inside out) to create a little more room (I think it would have fit fine without messing with that).
1zn7ae0.jpg

The horn body temporarily zip tied into place to check fitment.  Note that the side of the body facing the camera is scraped to heck.  I had to do that to allow the side fairing to fit properly - a new/unmolested horn has a squarish side and the lower corner that I ended up grinding off with a dremel and my driveway had been contacting the fairing and wouldn't allow it to fasten properly.
20krgxw.jpg

Front pic showing the horn, ground down to follow the curve of the fairing.
raoxeo.jpg

Here's what it looks like with all three parts, compressor, hose, and horn.  There is about 1/2" clearance between hose and the front of the radiator - hopefully, that will be enough.  I may hose clamp some foil around the hose and compressor later on.  The yellow arrow points to where I ended up tucking the relay - both horn wires reached the relay with no problems there. 
fyhnrn.jpg

Here's where the mickey mousing comes into play:
Stock inside plastic panel

63ulpx.jpg
modified panel to fit around compressor
35akleh.jpg
slit cut into upper inner plastic cover to make room for compressor - the way the plastic feels, I don't think the damage will grow/spread but I will probably go back and clean that up later...
n2lb49.jpg

I finished wiring it up today and tested it - whoa, extremely loud!  I didn't compare response time vs the stock horn but there doesn't seem to be much of a delay, if any, at all (was hoping that if I kept the hose short, there would be less of a delay - dunno if that factored into things or not).  If there is a delay, I think the increase in volume more than makes up for it!  :D

• Member Contributer

I have a stebel nautilus compact tucked in my front fairing ... spilled coffee, dropped cell phones. it's a great addition and helps those driving cars to suddenly become aware of their surroundings.

@Samuelx, you're running this off of a relay, right? don't know about the 8th, but 5th runs the horn and brake/turn/running lights off a 10amp fuse which I (and others who have installed it) don't think is enough for the draw of the horn.

• Member Contributer

They are all generally better off being run through a relay.  Much better results. 

Yes he did say he used a relay. 

Thanks Fink!

Hey Spoon, yes, the sound bomb came with a relay and I'm using that and a 30A fuse to + battery.  Denali makes a mini sound bomb (probably the same as your stebel compact) and that definitely would have been an easier install! 

I buttoned everything up earlier this afternoon and found that the wiring to the relay (and some other additional wiring I just added) pushes against the left middle cowling - still fits ok, just a little more massaging needed to align and fit all the tabs/holes.  The inner panel (the one I ended up cutting) doesn't fit very well - it was too much of a pain in the butt to get that middle hole (in the picture above, to the left and slightly under the hexagonal mesh area) aligned for the push pin.  The other 3 push pins and the one screw all fit ok - I will probably end up cutting a portion of that middle section out to give more clearance to the compressor.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Samuelx said:

Thanks Fink!

Hey Spoon, yes, the sound bomb came with a relay and I'm using that and a 30A fuse to + battery.  Denali makes a mini sound bomb (probably the same as your stebel compact) and that definitely would have been an easier install! 

I buttoned everything up earlier this afternoon and found that the wiring to the relay (and some other additional wiring I just added) pushes against the left middle cowling - still fits ok, just a little more massaging needed to align and fit all the tabs/holes.  The inner panel (the one I ended up cutting) doesn't fit very well - it was too much of a pain in the butt to get that middle hole (in the picture above, to the left and slightly under the hexagonal mesh area) aligned for the push pin.  The other 3 push pins and the one screw all fit ok - I will probably end up cutting a portion of that middle section out to give more clearance to the compressor.

aah i see, yes, it looks the same. FWIW (I just learned what that stands for!!), mine has lasted about 7 years and seems fine. different manufacturer, but if the quality is similar, you shouldn't have any problems. 

I put the Denali split horn on my 1200. I've installed half a dozen of them on various bikes over the years. I was feeling flush the day I picked it up so I bought their pre-made wiring harness. Well worth the $40. Instead of messing about making my own harness, using their's saved me an easy 2-3 hours and ended up with a much neater install. The added benefit is that it is completely plug and play.

Archived