coolant hoses

ericlw

I havent ridden my 2002 vfr in about 2 years. I got it started up the other day and since the coolant hoses havent been changed in about 15 years i was wondering if i should just go ahead and replace them all? i need to put new tires on it but other than that i think its pretty much ready to ride.

Replacing all the hoses isn't that straightforward - the tank, airbox and throttle bodies need to be removed. The latter can be a bit of a PITA.

If content to do this though, you may as well replace the stat as well, which are known to stick open.

An oil change probably wouldn't hurt either. 

well i do my own work. It cant be much worse than checking the vtec vavle clearances which i have done myself a few times now. Wasnt sure how long these hoses really last. I guess i can just check them and see if they seem to have any dry rot.

• Member Contributer

My 2000 has most of its original hoses and they are fine. I say most because the two one inch hoses from the thermostat to the heads have been replaced with silicone. More an issue with heat than with age.

I have a 2004 so it is 13 years old; just clocked 70,000 miles. I had a coolant leak on the aluminum fitting that is in the V under the throttle body. The neck was corroded and my previous repair with JB weld needed to be more permanent because it started leaking again after about 5 years. I replaced the hoses while I was at it because it does take some time to tear down to that point. Speaking of the point: hoses were in good shape and I have not replaced any other hoses on the bike so far. 

Archived