Master cylinder questions

ScottSturgis

1985 VF500F.

My clutch master is leaking badly and the brake is exhibiting signs of future trouble. New masters are cheaper than a rebuild kit. I can find 16mm m/c's easily. The factory sizes are 14 mm for the clutch and 16 mm for the brake. What will happen if I run the 16 mm on the clutch side?

• Member Contributer
On 3/27/2017 at 7:46 PM, ScottSturgis said:

1985 VF500F.

My clutch master is leaking badly and the brake is exhibiting signs of future trouble. New masters are cheaper than a rebuild kit. I can find 16mm m/c's easily. The factory sizes are 14 mm for the clutch and 16 mm for the brake. What will happen if I run the 16 mm on the clutch side?

I wouldn't buy any "new" m/c that was less than a rebuild kit. 

• Member Contributer

If you go to Partzilla, and look up the part number for the clutch master piston kit, that will show you all the other bikes that take the same part, and so have the same diameter MC. There's a lot of them. Then get a used MC that looks the same as your old one off eBay. 

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-22886-MB0-305.html

Can anyone clarify if these pistons sizes are the same for the 93' 750 (RC36)?? 

14mm for clutch and 16mm for brake ?

• Member Contributer

I've never heard of a 16mm master cylinder on a modern Honda--at least not labeled as such.  There are: 1/2", 14mm, 5/8", 11/16" and 3/4".  Maybe on older models?

Brake is 1/2" on an RC36.

Ciao,

On 3/29/2017 at 8:38 PM, mordantly said:

I think I have a master on my 83 750 frame.. You want? Can't cost but 6 to ship.

What's the condition? Is the reservoir window clear?

PM me some pics?

The window is cracked from time. No lever so can't test piston. Good shape housing. Unknown if window is replaceable. Free! Shipping will be pretty cheap. I'll take some pics tomorrow in daylight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:46 PM, ScottSturgis said:

1985 VF500F.

I would tear down your present master and try to determine why it's leaking.  Rebuilding them is not at all difficult.  The cheap Chinese replacements on eBay are sketchy.  I'd rather spend a little more and rebuild the OEM one if the bore isn't worn out.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:43 PM, mordantly said:

The window is cracked from time. No lever so can't test piston. Good shape housing. Unknown if window is replaceable. Free! Shipping will be pretty cheap. I'll take some pics tomorrow in daylight.

The windows weren't designed to be replaced, but they can  be.  I have replaced at least a couple dozen of these now.  I stock mineral glass windows that can be used to replace the original yellowed, bulging, and cracked ones.  PM me if you want the details.

• 1 month later...

I rebuild these regularly on the '86-87 VFR. $30 K&S (maybe K&L) kit, new window, clean/lube the lever mechanism. Tomk1960 (above) does a nice job on the paint, etc. I also have replacement glass, though not sure of the VF500 size.

Joe in IL

V4Dreams.com

Archived