New bike - Brake problem

Oregonian

• Member Contributer

I have owned and enjoyed a 2013 VFR 1200F since new.  No problems - everything works great.

I bought a left-over new 2010 VFR 1200 DCT from a Honda dealership.  The bike worked great on the 30 mile ride home, and on a ride the next week.  

Before the next ride, I engaged the emergency brake mechanism to learn how to use it and release it.  I fully released it and started the bike to go for a ride.  Coasting down the driveway, with the bike in neutral, the front brake wouldn't engage.  I had to use the rear brake to stop the bike.  I gingerly went for a ride around the neighborhood to see if the problem repeated itself and it did not.  The front and rear brakes seemed to function normally.  

During that 60 mile ride, the front brakes demonstrated a strange problem.  I am not able to come to a full stop smoothly.  The front brake lever seems to require more grip pressure to engage and then suddenly engages hard.  I don't feel like I'm going over the handlebars, but the operation is weird.  

If I have the bike turned off and am rolling it around the garage, the front and rear brakes seem super noisy and grabby.  I can't remember if my other VFR 1200 did this when new.   

ABS lights don't engage ever.  

I have done nothing to the brake levers other than adjust the dial to fit my hands. 

Any ideas anyone?  The bike is under warranty, and I could just let the dealership deal with it, but I don't want to mess with that if there is something simple I'm overlooking. 

I was having some issues with touchy and slow to release front brakes too. I had the dealer change the fluid and bleed them, and now they're perfect. I think the service manual says change every 2 years, so yours is probably overdue.

• Member Contributer

The brake fluid is hyrdroscopic, so it will draw moisture to it, even through micro porosity of the gaskets and seals, similar (but opposite) to the way a tube/tire will loose pressure over time. The valve(s) and solenoid(s) in the abs modulator may be gummed up or have a very slight amount of corrosion on them causing some stiction, creating the erratic behavior. A good system bleed will most likely cure the problem, if not make the trip to the dealer. check the build date and that will let you know how long it has been sitting.....if you just bought it, could be 7 year old fluid.

• Member Contributer

It is 7 year old fluid.  I'll start there and then let the dealer have a shot at it if needed.

Another weird issue - if the bike is turned off and I engage the front brake lever, the action will pause roughly half way through.  Some times it does it and sometimes it engages normally. 

• 1 month later...

Archived