Truck guys

• Member Contributer
On 3/25/2017 at 3:22 PM, BonusVFR said:

Well I go both ways...hah!  Here I have returned to soft bags for a quick trip and meetup with the SO and bonding for the trip home.  Most times I just use the truck for the VFR.  But I have used the trailer a few times with the middle bike. There is no perfect solution so I have both.

5869a76a8972a-DSCN2202-CanyonDancer.JPG

What is the reason for the wood under the rear tire?

• Member Contributer

Check out the Pit Bull trailer restraint system.  Much easier on the bike's suspension.  If I trailered I'd have one.  

Trailering reminds me of Harley doods.  They'll trailer a hog a thousand miles to ride 250 miles just to keep mileage off the odometer.  Go figure......

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:01 AM, MysteryRider246 said:

What is the reason for the wood under the rear tire?

Helps distribute some of the weight from the rear tire to the bed plus more importantly it allows me to "roll over" (when loading) my folding cover latch which is on the tailgate. 

5869a76a8972a-DSCN2202-CanyonDancer.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2017 at 7:37 PM, Rice said:

I got Towblazer - A Kendon knock off.  Fits 2 full size bikes or 3 dirt bikes.  Excellent quality and tows like it isn't even there.  Stands up against the wall in my garage when not in use.  I love it.

The only issue is the fact that its wheel base is much shorter than that of my truck, which makes backing up or making 3 point turns with it almost impossible.57ea7cb5edc155de44d73ca3.jpg?width=1024&

I've been searching for truck accessories I can use for transporting my bike. I've been looking at Kendo trailer too. Hope I can get some comparison or feedback on the product.

• Member Contributer

Last winter I got a Kendon single bike trailer for track days and highly recommend it. Drove down to L.A. to pick it up at their HQ, met some of their execs, they seem to know what they're doing. Not exactly cheap, but I chose it because it stands up and fits in a pretty small space in the garage, leaving room for more bikes! Con's and Pro's:

As Rice noted above the short wheelbase means backing up can quickly get you into trouble. Plan ahead to always be moving forward.

Quiet at speed but really noisy when moving slowly.

Beefy, well built. 

Stands up, see pic below.

One person operation! At track days guys with high truck beds usually get help to get their bikes on and off, pretty dicey with just one person, but with this trailer its easy on/off. Also, when removed from the hitch I can easily move it around by hand, even up a grade.

My crummy 2003 Honda Element tows it just fine.

IMG_2880.JPG

IMG_2917.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 9/7/2017 at 9:11 AM, crakerjac said:

I dunno, I find the Honda Element makes a pretty awesome track day vehicle. 

+1, I completely agree. I now regret calling my beloved Element crummy. "Ratty" would be more accurate. Purchased new 14 years ago, does everything, and no payments means more $ to spend on bikes!

(BTW, the trailer works much much better now that it has an HRC sticker)

• Member Contributer
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:54 PM, VeeXef said:

I've been searching for truck accessories I can use for transporting my bike. I've been looking at Kendo trailer too. Hope I can get some comparison or feedback on the product.

As indicated earlier I have been quite happy with mine for some 13 years. On my trip to Alaska back a few years ago I towed to the border to save both bike tires and time as 3,000 miles on a KLR on Interstate 5 would have been ....well awful! We only had 3 weeks for the entire trip and still did some 4,000 miles on the dual sports.  With practice you can back up fine just make sure you have a bike on the trailer for a reference.  Mud flaps on the truck are a good idea especially if you are running in the rain or snow (ugh).  I added the third rail option but only take a 3rd bike (very small dirt bike) in a real pinch.  I use the middle rail for my big bike which helps with flotsam and drag.  It makes me feel more comfortable too although I never had any stability problems with my Wing on an outside location.

Towing again to Utah in a couple of weeks and doing mostly dirt roads and riding out of a base camp with all the comfort crap.  You have to be careful with dirt roads with the Kendon due to its low riding height.  I have run Utah a couple of times with the VFR so this will be different. Trailers and trucks give you more options!  I was thinking after a 4,600 mile tour this summer maybe I could have figured out a way to use my trailer????

med_gallery_2144_5543_784446.jpg

Archived