Looking for Advice

sllik

• Member Contributer

Hello Guys!

i am new to this amazing forum and i have been reading a lot! i am finally ready to buy a VFR since its been my dream bike for a while! Now i am not sure what could be a good deal or not that's why i am asking you guys. i found a 2003 Red VFR with 22 000 km the owner is asking for 4500$ CAD (no modification)

my second option is a 2009 white VFR with 9000 km for 7800$ CAD i know that the price and year are a big difference but i am just not sure which one would be a better deal

Here is a list of all the VFR in the Quebec area  http://www.kijiji.ca/b-quebec/vfr/k0l9001?price=3000__9000

i am just confused since my first bike was a suzuki gs 750 es 1983! that i bought 5 years ago i still have the suzuki but i have been working hard and i think i deserve an upgrade!

Thank you very much in advance and thank you for sharing all the info in this forum!

• Member Contributer

There were small improvements made over the years.  The 2009 is attractive as Honda made updates to address issues in the earlier models. (Wiring and vtec transition smoothed out.) Still, they are very similar bikes. Both are low mileage.  There is a big difference in price between the two. (2009 seems overpriced to me.  2003 has a reasonable asking price.) Personally, for that big a difference in price, I would consider the 2003 if it appears to have been well maintained.  I have a 2004.  I've had some minor electrical issues over the years, but have never felt that the vtec crossover was an issue.

• Member Contributer

It boggles my mind that owners say the transition to Vtec isn't a problem or is slight or can't be felt. When I owned a 6th gen it was noticeable. Depending on throttle input it could be gentle or violent.

Seems like the opinion on the Vtec engagement varies.

Sllik, I'd go look at both and if you can, ride both. The 6th gen I bought had low low mileage and the owner wouldn't let me test ride it (not uncommon around here)

When I got it and was able to ride it the front rotors were warped. Seems to be an not un-common issue for 5th/6th gen VFR's.

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, slowbird said:

It boggles my mind that owners say the transition to Vtec isn't a problem or is slight or can't be felt. When I owned a 6th gen it was noticeable. Depending on throttle input it could be gentle or violent.

Sllik, I'd go look at both and if you can, ride both. The 6th gen I bought had low low mileage and the owner wouldn't let me test ride it (not uncommon around here)

When I got it and was able to ride it the front rotors were warped. Seems to be an not un-common issue for 5th/6th gen VFR's.

Thank you yeah i will make sure to test ride them friend

5 hours ago, slowbird said:

I have an 02 and when I first got it yeah it was pretty violent. But since pair/valve/snorkel mod and a full exhaust and PC5 it's smooth as buttah.

• Member Contributer

Hi sllik.

Coming from Australia I have no idea on what Canadian prices will bring, I will say that a very well maintained and cared for 2003 model having done a low 22000k's might be a better by than a 2009 having done only 9000k's and not well maintained. Generally you would be biased to the later model, but it depends on your financial situation, colour you like, bike care and presentation and a mandatory test ride. Might suggest if you know anyone with VFR experience to get them to test ride the bike as well.

Good luck, score a good one and you won't look back.

Cheers.

Grum

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, slowbird said:

Oh...you can certainly feel it if you are hard on the throttle.  I actually like it.  It is part of the character of the bike.  Normal riding it is no big deal.  If I'm riding the twisties, I try to stay above the transition so it doesn't surprise me coming out of a corner.

• Member Contributer

Alright guys tomorrow i'am going to see this bike

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/longueuil-rive-sud/honda-vfr800-vtec/1247802289

So the guy told me that the bike is in mint condition and that the bike is equipped with an alarm system and power commander. He still have the original exhaust and the tires still have 75% on them.

i am not very familiar with power commander my only issue is that i wont be able to ride the bike because there is still some snow here :wacko:

i asked about the paint and he told me to not judge the bike by the pictures since it was a very sunny day.

Can't go wrong with a VFR of any year.  Later years just have more refinements, real or imagined.

Tires get changed so frequently they shouldn't determine your choice, the PC and Micron exhaust are nice bits to have and not a cheap date here North of the Maple Curtain.

Good Luck!

• Member Contributer

So today i went to see that bike and the bike had some imperfections on the body. The battery was dead so...yeah ill keep looking.

The next one im going to see is this one

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-moto-sport-promenade/trois-rivieres/honda-vfr-800/1247986701  this is a little more expensif but my wife loves it!

Happy wife Happy life!

20170325_093859.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hi guys

i went to see this bike and i think i found the right one for me this time!

32 000km 2005 V-Tec

Heated grips

Honda hard bags

Cell phone GPS Charger

Asking 6000 cnd

What do you think? :mellow:

20170326_121525.jpg

20170326_121537.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks good, loved my 2005 VFR. Does it have all its maintenance records? A well cared for VFR will care for you. Regular oil and filter changes, along with all other fluid etc are all important. Don't buy it without a good test ride.

Good Luck

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, sllik said:

Hi guys

i went to see this bike and i think i found the right one for me this time!

32 000km 2005 V-Tec

Heated grips

Honda hard bags

Cell phone GPS Charger

Asking 6000 cnd

What do you think? :mellow:

20170326_121525.jpg

20170326_121537.jpg

In looking at this bike, I'd like to point out that a full set of Honda luggage does add to the value. Others may debate how much, but all else being equal, I would add $1,000 to the value.  I'm not familiar with the Canadian market, but taking into account the USD/CAD exchange rate, this would be a deal to me.  I'd love to get a VFR with 19,200 miles for $4,500 USD.  I gave $4,000 USD 7 years ago for a 2002 with 22,000 miles, but no top case. I don't have much time to ride, so I've only added 35,000 miles to the bike during that period.

I would ask if the valve check has been completed, but not worry if it hasn't been. This will give you a negotiating point on the price.  Others can chime in, but it should have been completed at 25,000km or 16,000 miles.  There is significant debate on the forum as to how often these are needed. A lot of people follow the book; a few never have them done, I'm on an every 32,000 miles schedule, so I will probably do my next one in 2018.

• Member Contributer

That 2005 with the luggage looks clean.

With the luggage, touring windscreen and, what I think I can see, are Heli bars?

Sounds like a good purchase.

You don't wanna look at any 5th gens?

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, slowbird said:

That 2005 with the luggage looks clean.

With the luggage, touring windscreen and, what I think I can see, are Heli bars?

Sounds like a good purchase.

You don't wanna look at any 5th gens?

Hello slowbird

Thanks for the reply. In fact this weekend i am going to take a look at a 2009 vfr 800 with ABS. Ill keep you guys updated

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Lol - like you, I bought a new 83 Yamaha 750 Seca. Then a long dry spell and fell in love with the 6th Gen VFR. I own a red '05 and love it. Best. Purchase. Ever. Great as a towner, and I have no problem doing a 1500 mile trip with my brothers on their FJR & BMW 1200RT. Agree about the comments on the VTEC engagement - sometimes fun, sometimes annoying, but I always love the performance. Ride a few - whichever Gen fee the best is the right one. Looking forward to the pics & some ride reports - riding to Ontario this June - would love to go further east - beautiful country!

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, ssd.protect.task said:

Hi guys, I'm a soon to be a owner of a vfr800 VTEC. How does the seat adjust? Many thanks Sean

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

It doesn't, unless you are buying an 8th gen 2014 model onwards this has a high and low position.

Archived