Vfr 750 - 92

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I drove 30km of total 100km on a vfr. It's been 6 years since I rode a sportbike.  My striping on the rear tire to analyse my lean angle shows so far 5mm more leaning towards the left than my right. 

It'll be interesting to see how that develops since it's just the beginning of the season here in Sweden. 

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

5mm is not much difference, really, unless you're working things out and training on a race track. Most riders in drive-on-the-right countries may be predisposed to lean more and more naturally to the right. Then there is the variable of the crown of the road depending on your lane position when leaning over.

Cheers,

Glenn

10 hours ago, slovcan said:

5mm is not much difference, really, unless you're working things out and training on a race track. Most riders in drive-on-the-right countries may be predisposed to lean more and more naturally to the right. Then there is the variable of the crown of the road depending on your lane position when leaning over.

Cheers,

Glenn

I know, good input though! ?.  

I am trying to find my way on the bike and looking for adjustments before track days. One thing is for sure, I've to move the foot pegs since they will be in a to flat angle for me ?

• 1 month later...

So. The first track day went beyond good. I rode with some more inexperienced riders, but with everything from bmw s1000rr and aprilia touno apc to triumph Tiger 800. The bike did great! But, I felt like my tires was really slippery.

Got them to good temperatures but still they wanted to skid in some turnes. 

What tires are you using? 

DSC_0217.JPG

DSC_0218.JPG

DSC_0219.JPG

DSC_0229.JPG

DSC_0237.JPG

DSC_0230.JPG

DSC_0241.JPG

DSC_0234.JPG

Hej Jock!

I use the same Michelin PR4 as you on my 6th gen, and I have not experienced any slippage. I've only done Knix on a go-kart track, but I was able to lean the bike down so far that the exhaust on the right side (the part that exits the catalyst) touched the ground and then full throttle (with VTEC transition) without the rear tire losing grip.

I did notice some extra leaning when initiating turn ins when the tires were cold, but the grip was there if I pushed them.

I'm really REALLY impressed with the PR4's! Please tell me if you find anything better though. :-)

3 hours ago, SweViffer said:

Hej Jock!

I use the same Michelin PR4 as you on my 6th gen

Hi! 

This Knix was on Gröndal, you might be familiar with it? 

I looked on the treads for the rear tire and it looks like, if I interpret it right, as if my rebound was either to stiff och to loose. Any suggestions? 

DSC_0243.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 2017-03-31 at 10:36 PM, Jock3 said:

Whent through some old photos (in case of rain and snow outside, always reminisce to the days one could ride) in the cell phone and found these. 

330639_10150501376831943_673625277_o.jpg

Did you like the Ducati 748? I'd have kept that and the VFR in the garage. That would be the perfect 1-2 combo. 

BTW good read, keep the stories coming.

On 25/03/2017 at 4:24 PM, Jock3 said:

I'm buying aftermarket foot brackets. Since I want inverted shifting and have always had that on my sports. Is there any chance tips what fits? 

CBR900RR up to 1996 or so fit, as do 2007-2008 Yamaha R1.

Nice bike, enjoy!

13 hours ago, auggius said:

Did you like the Ducati 748? I'd have kept that and the VFR in the garage. That would be the perfect 1-2 combo. 

BTW good read, keep the stories coming.

The 748 was beautiful! Loved the handling and the nimble feel of it. It went exactly where you want it to go. 

Thanks! I'll be posting more ??

• Member Contributer

I did consider buying a 748 as replacement for redslut; but the VTR1000R-SP2 won....

So, after some evaluation of the tire, I found out that it was 0.7bar under inflated (???) and I hope it is due because of a faulty nozzle and not because of anything else. Filled it up with some 2017 air from the compressor and hope to see leakage. 

It might be old rubber and the lack of the bike being ridden often by the previous owner this has been overlooked. 

DSC_0242.JPG

2 hours ago, Jock3 said:

Cause of pressure loss in the tire : broken air nozzle. ?

Every new tire should automatically get a new valve unless the existing valve is a good metal one. Then it should get a new core. Why dealers and service guys who mount the tires won't just spend the extra 10 cents for safety is beyond me.

Cheers,

Glenn

On 5/30/2017 at 11:46 AM, Jock3 said:

. Filled it up with some 2017 air

The new vintage air is usually best. :beer:

10 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

The new vintage air is usually best. :beer:

Haha usually I use premium winter air. Filtered through old socks. What a difference ??

11 hours ago, slovcan said:

Every new tire should automatically get a new valve unless the existing valve is a good metal one. Then it should get a new core. Why dealers and service guys who mount the tires won't just spend the extra 10 cents for safety is beyond me.

Cheers,

Glenn

I know, even though I bought the bike "recently serviced" I believe they've missed some good stuff.... 

4 hours ago, Jock3 said:

I know, even though I bought the bike "recently serviced" I believe they've missed some good stuff.... 

Yes, I found a few obvious things on mine that were "missed" during the dealer servicing the previous owner had done, too.

9 minutes ago, slovcan said:

Yes, I found a few obvious things on mine that were "missed" during the dealer servicing the previous owner had done, too.

What did you find? ?

13 minutes ago, Jock3 said:

What did you find? ?

The 2 that come to mind were loose coolant hose clamps and the bracket that holds the thermostat housing to the engine wasn't reconnected. Just little things, but still made me check everything else when the plastic was off. Wiring not in frame clamps in a few places was something else. Oh yeah, the poorly soldered rear turn signal wiring wrapped in duct tape was another thing, but that was so bad it couldn't have been the dealer's work. And of course, broken tabs - haste and carelessness. 

Cheers,

Glenn

"Major" service, valves, fluids, etc, at indy shop did not detect big axle nut was going to come loose in a few hundred miles.

With crappy and expensive results. I will not go back there. :mad:

So, check the rear axle nut!

• 1 month later...

So, first step in to roadracing done ?lovely weather all day at Mantorp, Linköping. Day started 0700,with me having to get up at 0415 to ride there. And ended at 1700. Lovely to see all nice people and beautiful bikes 

IMG_20170714_151946_086.jpg

IMG_20170714_151946_099.jpg

IMG_20170714_151946_088.jpg

_20170714_163421.JPG

Archived