Vfr 750 - 92

So after sneaking around for some days, I finally registered. 

Short presentation: from Sweden, been riding for 10 years, first bike was a Ducati 748 Sp troy bayliss replica, followed by 929 fireblade, husky 410, yamma 1100 dragstar, yamma 950 Bolt and now finally the vfr 750 of 1992.

I'll be posting everything I might tinkle on and try to improve on the bike. Hopefully I'll find alot of the help and info here and/or get some help from you guys ??

mms_20170215_171959.jpg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First started of trying to clean up the windscreen. Read about using toothpaste, headlight cleaning appliances and nothing helped. 

It even got a little bit worse or nothing happened. 

So I tried something I've been doing on car bumpers for years: heat gun. Worked like a charm! 

DSC_0170.JPG

DSC_0191.JPG

Hi Jock,

Welcome home! Nice VFR - and a nice eclectic collection of previous bikes, too! That's a great tip on clearing the windshield hazing/cloudiness. I hadn't heard that before.

Cheers,

Glenn 

• Member Contributer

+1 - Welcome home!

I had or rather have the same issue with mine.

It was bad enough to warrant drastic measures and it is still not perfect, but MUCH better than it was.

Here is what I did:

1 - Wet sand with the finest grit sandpaper you can find.  Use your judgement depending on depths of scratches.

2 - Compound buff

3 - Repeat with decreasing grit of sandpaper and compound.

It's a tedious process and will not give you New appearance, but will get you 90% there to pass the 5 foot appearance test.

It may be easier to just buy a better looking shield.

Thanks a lot for the welcome! 

I firstly went over with a 320 grain, next was with 600 something, 1200 and finally a 3200 grain. Everything always with water and lubricant. But I found out that to get rid of the small amount of lines from the sanding I went over the screen with some heat to make them disappear ?pattienc isn't my best friend haha 

Next up was to repack the silencer, previous owner had everything removed from it, and I shortened it with 15cm as I had it loose. 

Got rid of the center stand and took all of the rust of from the bottom fairings. 

DSC_0199.JPG

DSC_0198.JPG

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum Jock3. You obviously have good taste in mc's.

As I've had much of the non-motor parts disassembled over time, I've observed that there are rubber vibration dampers all over the great machines. It's one of the fabulous features of these terrific machines.

• Member Contributer

FYI, 4th gen peg hangers fit 3rd gens, and look a bit less "weighty".

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I hesitate to contradict my good friend John, but swapping 4th gen brackets to a 3rd gen is more involved than it appears.

Whilst it is true that the 4th gen footage brackets will bot straight into place there are problems. Iirc, on the left side side there with the small metal fairing.

The right side is complicated due to the rear brake master cylinder and the heat shield. Nothing unsurmountable, but it complicates what looks at first like a straight exchange.

On the other hand, you can easily fit the 2000-2009 mirrors for a sleeker look.

Very good tips there!

I'm buying aftermarket foot brackets. Since I want inverted shifting and have always had that on my sports. Is there any chance tips what fits? 

Pardon my English ?

This is how my mirrors look, easy to get rid of to track days 

DSC_0200.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 3/25/2017 at 2:06 AM, Lorne said:

I hesitate to contradict my good friend John, but swapping 4th gen brackets to a 3rd gen is more involved than it appears.

Whilst it is true that the 4th gen footage brackets will bot straight into place there are problems. Iirc, on the left side side there with the small metal fairing.

The right side is complicated due to the rear brake master cylinder and the heat shield. Nothing unsurmountable, but it complicates what looks at first like a straight exchange.

Sorry, Lorne, I wasn't thinking about stock bikes... No metal fairing pieces on my 3rd gen, nor RHS heat shield!20161124_202907.thumb.jpg.8107bebcf6e342f43fe54bb0afc72a9b.jpg

20161124_202833.thumb.jpg.025eb4bb55da53ba902dd554cf3a1413.jpg

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

No sweat, John, I only mentioned it because I tried to make that swap to my '91 in 1996. 

The '94-'97 look far nicer, and a more talented fabricator than I could have sorted out those minor hiccups. Of course, everyone is a better fabricator than I am :mellow:

On 3/25/2017 at 2:06 AM, Lorne said:

Nope. You can fit the 98-2001, beyond that - they won't fit as the mounting holes are spaced differently.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, 750 said:

Nope. You can fit the 98-2001, beyond that - they won't fit as the mounting holes are spaced differently.

Oops, good catch. I wrongly assumed that Honda used the same mirrors on the VTec series.

The 5th gen VFR800 had the old condom-type mirrors till 2000 - I swapped to a set of the sleeker style mirrors for my '99 VFR800 back in 2001. A few years later I swapped them onto my '92 VFR750. 

So, after a good long day at work, I got home...and did more work. 

Removed the plastic guard in front of the snorkel. Happy days. And mounted a bmc sport filter as well ?

DSC_0240.JPG

The snorkel increases the velocity of the air into the air box, removing it is futile - it'll make the bike a bit noisier and that's about it, might create flat spots in the rev range

The plastics are meant to act as a heat shield to stop the air flow from warming up. Doubt it'd make much difference but every degree counts!

I'd be out riding in that if I had to get somewhere, not if it was for "fun" though...as that's no fun!

Archived