Any tips for restoring header pipes WITHOUT removing them?

• Member Contributer

Green scouring pad (or whatever) to remove surface rust. Degrease, and get a tub of cast iron oven/chimney stack polish.

Yes it will stink a bit in the beginning as it heats up. but makes it look good again

270874329.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, RDMcD said:

A little off topic, sorry, but can anyone explain why Honda crossed the front downpipes on the cat headers?

I'm going to say design philosophy because the 8G is different again. 

Notice what primaries merge in each gen.

No tip here for having them on the bike.  to many hard to get spots IMO,  so it's one of those.  if its worth it jobs. Now,  if you do get em off,  media blasting makes great short work of it. 

IF i can get them off without incident, i'd consider getting them blasted - But just as likely to sand them and get a wire wheel on them myself. Probably then just paint them with black VHT myself as it can get a bit costly and take too long to sort otherwise. I can deal with the bike being off the road for a few days, but i guess my stated time-frame is more for keeping the bench clear as i can't leave it on there overnight or the following day. It's just the wrong time of year to have my bike taking up space at work as we get pretty full with customer bikes and bikes needing my attention for the showroom. But it's also the time of year i want to do the work, so it's nice for the summer etc...

Damned if i do, damned if i don't i guess...

The major concern is that if the header bolts strip; It's a problem for two reasons:

1. I'd have stripped header bolts
2. I cannot fix that myself, and others in the workshop do not have time to help me with such an avoidable problem.

Repeatedly soak the nuts in plusgas for a day or two and see if you can loosen them off. 

There's little harm in trying and you can always stop if you fee like you're having to apply too much force.

Archived