6th Gen Valve Check Interval - 15k?

PorradaVFR

• Member Contributer

I don’t want to kick off the usual debate, just asking because a guy on a local board with a 6th gen just did his valves and offered to help check mine.  My current VFR has only 15k miles and a mechanic friend suggested it’s almost certain the entire 6-8 hour job will only serve to confirm they’re within spec.  

Given I’m not anxious to waste time (mine or anyone else’s) I’d love to know if anyone has done their valves at 15-16k and needed adjustments.  If not I will likely opt to hold off.  Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing. I've got the exact same bike but with 20K on the clock. The bike runs like perfectly.

Many, many members here have waited past 60K. Baileyrock was past 100k if I remember. If it doesn't show any signs, ride on.

• Member Contributer

No signs - my only current complaints (mild as they are) is a bit of the jerky throttle at small openings (e.g. garage speed) and the VTEC switchover is a bit jerky too...but neither are extreme and are no more pronounced than before.  

3 hours ago, PorradaVFR said:

No signs - my only current complaints (mild as they are) is a bit of the jerky throttle at small openings (e.g. garage speed) and the VTEC switchover is a bit jerky too...but neither are extreme and are no more pronounced than before.  

Power Commander and a map from the downloads section here will solve both of those issues. I sat on the fence for a long time because I'm cheap. It was the best money I ever spent on my 03.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, PorradaVFR said:

No signs - my only current complaints (mild as they are) is a bit of the jerky throttle at small openings...

The VFR is my first fuel-injected bike. Like you, I find the throttle response to be notably jerky, especially at low speeds and low throttle. I think this is a generic issue for FI bikes. The topic has been covered a few times in VFRD, including here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/82835-jerky-at-low-speeds

The "starter valves" are a bit of supplementary throttle tech designed to ameliorate exactly this issue. Synchronizing them and putting them within spec is a specific bit of maintenance that can pay dividends here. HispanicSlammer has a walk-through with excellent photos: 

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/33-starter-valve-syncronization-vtec

There is also (at least one) YouTube video (which I believe was posted by a fellow member):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sj33NXnm1c

Starter valve synchronization isn't the entire suite of interventions for jerky throttle (check out the other ideas in the top link), but it's worth considering.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I had the throttle synch done before on a prior VFR and it helped, but as I said it’s not so disruptive (or frankly, irritating) that I’m desperate for a fix.  It’s one of those “I should.....” things that comes up once in a while.  :goofy:

Archived