It's decision time ...

carlgustav

• Member Contributer

And I'm looking for advice/opinions (oh boy), especially from folks who have a lot of miles on their VFR. My '07 6th gen has ~36K on her. I've just completed replacing the CCTs as I was hearing the 'noise'. I have the tank out of the way, the airbox out of the way, and I'm looking at the lovely array of mechanical crap that makes up the throttle body assy. My dilemma is, do I pull the throttle body and replace the wax unit and thermostat while I'm here, or do I button it all back up, fire her up to see if all is ok, and carry on riding? I've looked at the descriptions here and on the 'other' forum about replacing the T-stat, and shit on a shingle, that's a quite a job ...

TIA,

ACE

• Member Contributer

It's not that bad a job. The coolant pipes can be a bit trick to re-fit but other than that.....

Do you have a specific reason to replace them?

• Member Contributer

No specific reason other than a pre-emptive strike while I'm in here :unsure:.  The vacuum lines may be getting on, but I haven't disturbed them so ...

ACE

• Member Contributer

I"m at 57,000 miles on my 2002 and I replaced CCTs last year.  I didn't mess with anything else in the engine. It still warms up normally and turns on the fan when expected. Engine temp never goes above 223F, even in stop and go traffic in the middle of summer. I'd keep on riding.

• Member Contributer

Keep on riding. I wouldn't say 36K is anywhere near "a lot of miles for a VFR."  :wink:

I just dumped several hundredousands of $$ in upgrades into my 2007 (with more miles than yours on it) and tore the bike down pretty severely in the process. It didn't even cross my mind to touch that crap. Though I did change the air filter and try the flapper mod.

• Member Contributer

Alright folks, thanx.  I'll just clean up the t-bodies a little, try a quick sync op, and get back on the road.  The weather is nice all this week and not one of my street-able bikes is ready ...

ACE

Archived