86 vs 87 vfr700 wiring harness

90base

I just bought an 86 VFR as my first bike for $750.  This thing is rough! The plastics look like crap, it's been spray painted, it's missing some rear lights and the turn Signals are steady instead of flashing.  I knew there were a few wiring problems when I bought it, but wiring comes fairly easy for me.  Bbuuutttt, you hit the button and it starts right up and purrs, plus runs down the road great (short of a small flat spot in the REV range).  

I decided to remove the seat and have a look at the wiring situation, and it's screwed. Lol.  I did manage to get the brake light to work.  But In  the process, I messed up another wire somewhere.  Now the tach doesn't work and the bike only runs on full choke.  If you give it any throttle it dies.  I'm assuming I didn't plug all the plugs for the cdi back in, causing the tach to not work, (I'm guessing the fuel pump isn't working either.) I'll get to that tomorrow. 

I could repair this harness but it seems easier to just replace it.... If I can find one.  I have a lead on a wiring harness from an 87.  Although the seller is listing it as 86-87 vfr700 wiring harness.  From what I have read online the cdi plugs and cam sensors are different.  Do they share a wiring harness, or are they indeed different? 

Thanks

Brandon

Wiring harnes is different.

'86 models have an extra pick-up on the cam that is wired seperately to the CDI. Also there is a seperate  Yellow/Green wire coming from the CDI box. This wire is responsible for the tach signal and triggering the fuel pump. The '86 has a 6 pin, a 4 pin, a 2 pin plug and a spearate wire on the CDI unit.

On the '87 the fuel pump relay is triggered by the red/yellow wire from coil #4. The yellow /green still is the tacho signal wire, but has a different signal and doesn't trigger the fuel pump relay. The '87 has two 6 pin connectors on the CDI.

Cool, thanks for the insight.  Ill keep hacking this one back together until one for an 86 shoes up online.  I may have found one somewhere else too that claims it is for a 1986.   So I need to look for one that has 3 red plugs grouped together at the back of the wiring harness?

Thanks again

Brandon

OK, well I took the harness off the bike and sat in my living room for about 3 hours cutting Shitty splices apart and soldering/shrink wrapping.  Plus adding connectors for all of the lights.  If I get time I'll put it back on the bike tomorrow and let you k of how it goes.  Thanks again! 

Archived