Intro new 2000 vfr owner

Ntolerance

Afternoon. My name is Doc. 

I am the proud (???) owner of a new to me 2000 vfr800. It's a peach. Been laid down on both sides and has about 77,000 miles on it. 

Actually it runs n rides pretty dang good. The clutch is a bit grabby when it's cold but smooths out when warm and holds well. Decent tires. Good chain n sprockets. Has a few scuffs. But looks good. 

Ive got $1100 into the bike. Came with a Corbin solo seat and rear package tray or whatever it's called. 

Wobdering if the previous owner was a member here. Key chain says "Toot's VFR". Like to get some service history on it.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Welcome Doc, wow, a find and a steal.
Think I'll have to start looking for something like that, my project vf is taking it's time...

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum Doc. That is a fabulous find. You are not very far from Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI. I meet up with a bunch of Misfits every June for the AMA races. Have you considered going?

I'll bet you are eager for winter to get lost; it won't be long now.

On 3/16/2017 at 11:10 PM, MaxSwell said:

Welcome to the asylum Doc. That is a fabulous find. You are not very far from Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI. I meet up with a bunch of Misfits every June for the AMA races. Have you considered going?

I'll bet you are eager for winter to get lost; it won't be long now.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

I haven't been to RA in a long time. :/

I have to do some mods to this bike to be able to ride for more than 30 minutes. 

I'm 6'4" and about 240. Pegs are too high, and the windscreen gives me a massive amount of turbulence smack dab in the middle of my face. Hard to wear a helmet with all the buffeting and impossible to ride without a helmet. I think this bike has the oem screen. It's got a lot of hazing/cracks. Before I get a replacement I'd like to try the adjustable lip additions to try some different positions. 

Ive been reading about stator failures, valve adjustments ect - im thinking in he 77,000 miles this bike has some of the common issues may have been addressed. Bike rides super smooth, makes me think it's been well maintained. 

Thanks again for the welcomes 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Ntolerance said:

Thanks for all the welcomes!

I haven't been to RA in a long time. :/

I have to do some mods to this bike to be able to ride for more than 30 minutes. 

I'm 6'4" and about 240. Pegs are too high, and the windscreen gives me a massive amount of turbulence smack dab in the middle of my face. Hard to wear a helmet with all the buffeting and impossible to ride without a helmet. I think this bike has the oem screen. It's got a lot of hazing/cracks. Before I get a replacement I'd like to try the adjustable lip additions to try some different positions. 

Ive been reading about stator failures, valve adjustments ect - im thinking in he 77,000 miles this bike has some of the common issues may have been addressed. Bike rides super smooth, makes me think it's been well maintained. 

Thanks again for the welcomes 

BusyLittleShop can handle this - he has peg lowering blocks for sale that fit a few generations. I've had them for about 20 thousand miles and they're great.

Curious, was your bike repainted red?

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Ntolerance said:

Not sure on a repaint. Haven't dug into it yet. Hoping to do some deskinning this weekend 

There is a sticker on the visible left frame that states what year the machine was made. If it is a 2000, they came in yellow here in the US and would indicate a complete replacement of all the cowls and the fuel tank for yours. It looks like a 2001 to me. And I can see you are missing the passenger grab handles. They fill the spaces near the rear of the seat. 

My former riding partner in the Twin Cities now lives in Madison and I occasionally visit him. He knows the good roads in the area. Do you ever get near Madison?

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

There is a sticker on the visible left frame that states what year the machine was made. If it is a 2000, they came in yellow here in the US and would indicate a complete replacement of all the cowls and the fuel tank for yours. It looks like a 2001 to me. And I can see you are missing the passenger grab handles. They fill the spaces near the rear of the seat. 

My former riding partner in the Twin Cities now lives in Madison and I occasionally visit him. He knows the good roads in the area. Do you ever get near Madison?

yes, also the paint code sticker on the tray under the seat - yellow is Y124 something. 

regardless, super clean bike!!

• Member Contributer

Very Interesting! Regardless Indeed.

I have two crashed fifth gens and am combining them to make a good one. As it turns out, I was able to get a set of yellow cowls and tank (2000 vintage) and will be putting them on the 2001 innards. Ours will be reverse images in some respect. :wheel:  

• Member Contributer

The title isn't always correct, but the Model Year will be reflected in the VIN and will be on the paint code sticker.

Ciao,

Archived