Restoring engine casing

Hey all. 

At some point later next month, i'll be giving the Veefer a partial strip and a DAMN good clean. My question is pretty much as the title suggests: Is there an easy way to clean the engine casing in place? Specifically talking about the area behind the front wheel.

I have workshop and bench access via work.

All i can really think of right now is Paraffin (Kerosene) and maybe brake/clutch cleaner. Maybe sulphur-based Alloy wheel cleaner (given that it's formulated to clean aluminium).

While i'm in there, i might take the headers off to clean and paint them (if the bolts come out easily, won't risk it otherwise).

Thoughts?

I used brake cleaner to get my 5th gen engine looking reasonable - see this this thread for photos:

Traffic Film Remover is however bloody marvellous stuff and I wish I had used this. Give everything a good soaking, leave it to work, then get an abrasive pad (the yellow/green ones are good - you'll need at least a couple) to remove the filth.

The front sprocket area will most certainly deserve similar attention as well.

I personally wouldn't bother taking the downpipes off unless you have to - they can be a right fag to remove in/around the centre stand, and the studs have been known to break.

Yeah, not going to risk header pipes if i can do the job without touching them. I've seen bolts break and the time and effort required to sort it all out. 

I have access to gum/graffiti/adhesive remover which i'll try with some usefully-shaped scrubbing brushes. Then maybe the alloy cleaner and then a water rinse, then maybe some brake cleaner to finish it off. Will also clean and paint the header pipes while i'm in there. Gotta touch-up pretty much everything to get the winter shit off, and get it looking snazzy for summer... or more likely; The sudden and unexpected rain the next day, but y'know: England.

Really torn on wheel colour. It's either gloss black or gold. And if it's gold, i might paint the forks black. Black is easy to keep nice. Gold? Not so much. Then there's the big list of tasks to go along with all this... If the bike doesn't look amazing afterwards, i'll be annoyed.

Powdercoat the fork legs if you can - it'll look a lot better for doing so.

What colour is the bike?

TFR really is better than anything I've tried btw - I strongly recommend giving it a go. 

Yup, coated if i go other than silver. Last time, i just prepped them and used VHT silver (no laquer/clear coat). Worked a treat. Still looks stock almost 2 years on through 2 British winters and daily riding.

Bike is the fastest colour: Red. Silver forks, black wheels.

Here's a pic from about this time last year after its spring-clean.

2016-03-14_web.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hey Helli

Check out this thread from over on VFRWorld.  GregInDenver did a complete disassemble and clean on his bike over the winter, and used a lot of citrus based products to clean the bike and it turned out very well. 

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/52488-Refurbishing-my-99-5th-Gen

Archived