2017 VFR 800 - is it out in the US yet? (It's not here in australia)

nzmike

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
18 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Haha - I had a feeling there was a funny story associated with it.  That's a nice way to remember your friend - but I'm afraid to click on that link LOL

Nothing there that's technically NSFW.  The site is "legit" enough in its appearance that many web filtering solutions consider it to be an "e-commerce" site.  And if you're tech-minded and not shy, the product descriptions should be LOLz.

19 hours ago, fink said:

You  guys aren't getting it anyway.  

I would hardly be the first person - here or elsewhere - to fancy the notion of ordering a part for a non-domestic version of an owned vehicle in order to scratch a particular itch.

'73 de W2ZZZ

• Member Contributer
On 3/17/2017 at 6:45 PM, 2017VFR800FBrisbane said:

Genuine 2017 VFR800Fs verified by H as the 10th digit in the VIN (and 12V charger socket on left fairing is other 2017 giveaway) now in Australia. Red and Silver only colour options. Red is available if you force it. despite what the Honda rep may tell the dealer. Don't get suckered on 2016 models being sold as 2017. Good deals too! Not much more $$ than the "2016" models of which some according to a reliable source were built as early as 2014-2015 and sit in the warehouse. I paid $11500 rideaway changeover for my low km 2014 CBR500RA on a 2017 VFR800F. PM me for details.

VFRBrisbane, weird question, but does your heated grip switch light up red or green?  My '14 lights up red but I noticed that on Honda's Japanese website for the 2017 model it has a pic showing what appears to be a heated grip switch with a green light.  These sorts of things keep me up at night - LOL

2.png

VFRBrisbane, weird question, but does your heated grip switch light up red or green?  My '14 lights up red but I noticed that on Honda's Japanese website for the 2017 model it has a pic showing what appears to be a heated grip switch with a green light.

Looks like another 2017 change, my '15 lights up red as well.

1 hour ago, Rambler358 said:

Looks like another 2017 change, my '15 lights up red as well.

Mine lights up green which is plated 02/2016. I definitely don't have a 2017 at it's Pearl glare white in colour, old exhaust, not aux power and silver frame.

Maybe it's an regional thing, green for asia/aust and red for the states maybe.

I bought mine in November 2016 from Rick Gill Honda here in Perth. Paid $14,990 but I got a one order discount on accessories and 12 months rego instead of the usual 6 months. Worked out to about $700-800 value in total.

Yeah, I could have ordered from overseas for that sort discount, but at least the accessories arrived in one week instead of two. :-)

I'm very similar to the OP, 50 years of age, max NCB and excellent record. Insured for $720 PA comprehensive with Swann.

7 hours ago, Audible said:

Yeah, I could have ordered from overseas for that sort discount, but at least the accessories arrived in one week instead of two. :-)

Nice - my accessories (panniers and top-box) took almost 2 months total to arrive piecemeal at the dealer.

After contemplating this for a bit, I have come to feel that the silver forks and the black powder coated frame of the 2017 models is not a look I particularly like.  In particular, the frame feels "cheap".

Irrational, I know.

4 hours ago, Shinigami said:

After contemplating this for a bit, I have come to feel that the silver forks and the black powder coated frame of the 2017 models is not a look I particularly like.  In particular, the frame feels "cheap".

Irrational, I know.

I'm with you on this...

I love the silver frame.  Black forks meh, who cares they're not USD forks.  But, the silver just looks a bit cheap.

Hi all, me again (the OP) with some more questions (lucky you!)...

Rather than buying a brand new 2017 model I am really thinking it would make much better financial sense to buy a new 15-16 one as there are plenty sitting in dealer showrooms around Australia just waiting to be ridden away for a silly price now that the '17 is in most showrooms.  And there is so little difference between the models it seems silly to pay so much more for essentially the same bike.

Then I started seeing there were lots of good 14-16 used models with under 10,000km on the clock for under AU$12k (http://tinyurl.com/n8hcclz) so now I'm thinking one of these low mileage used bikes might be the way to go since they should already have devalued from the new price as much as they are going to.

So question 1 is this: what should I look for in used ones from 2014-16 in terms of issues, problems, broken stuff, etc?  Did these year VFR's have any particular issues I need to check for?  Just looking for any tips when buying a used one as I've always bought new bikes before.

Question 2 is this: I get confused by all the generations so which gen is the 2014 model pictured below? (Review and photo sourced from http://www.mcnews.com.au/honda-vfr800-review/)

And again, for this model, if buying used what should I look for or be aware of?

Did this model have the sudden/abrupt/violent (pick y our word!) change from two to four cylinders as I've read some of the older ones had?

Also, do the pipes under the seat lead to hot posterior or legs and/or cooked panniers (or any other heat related issue)?

And does this model have the ABS and heated grips?  (Edit: Seems there was no ABS option in Australia for this model. Not sure about the heated grips but after market ones would suffice I guess.)

The reason I ask is this model is the one I think is the loveliest of them (love the pipes under the seat and the beautiful dark red with the gold wheels) all and I've seen one in this colour with about 25,000km available for around AU $8K (with full service history and brand new tyres) which seems like a really good deal... and the less $$$ I have to spend the better!

Honda_VFR800_Red.jpg

• Member Contributer

The pic posted is a 6th gen. 

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/vfr800-vtec/2014/

Nice smooth transition to vtec. Only issue I have with it ( apart from the afterthought of the TC switch)  is the cutoff of the headlamp which takes a bit of getting used to.  There is a post on here about it somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, fink said:

Only issue I have with it ...  is the cutoff of the headlamp which takes a bit of getting used to.  

Could you elaborate please?  I'll do a search as well but as it stands I have no idea what you mean by that comment sorry.

So no heat problems from the pipes under the seat?  That was the main thing i was worried about.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, nzmike said:

Could you elaborate please?  I'll do a search as well but as it stands I have no idea what you mean by that comment sorry.

So no heat problems from the pipes under the seat?  That was the main thing i was worried about.

Hi nzmike.

The Australian model from 2009 to 2014 was available in two colours Sword Silver and the Candy Red in your picture both had the nice gold rims. The Australian versions have no heated grips, ABS or traction control like the new 8th gen from 2014 onwards.

I had no heat issues from the upswept pipes with either of my 3 previous 6 gens. There are plenty of aftermarket pipes available for them. I personally loved the upswept pipes as they make the rear wheel removal simple, shows off the nice wheel and makes for a nicer deeper exhaust note with a good aftermarket pipe.

The most common issues that you hear of are CCT's ( cam chain tensioners) and alternator stator frying. Other than that they are a great bike. A well cared for 6th gen will take you well into the 100,000k and beyond zone.

The VTEC, 4 valve transition has gone through some refinements over the years, the 8 gen is almost seamless and the last few years of the 6gen was pretty good as well IMO, and has never troubled me.

The brakes on the 6th gen are combined brakes. All this means is if you only apply one brake you will automatically get some small assistance from the other.

Your picture is of the last of the 6gen. (Non Australian). That colour combination was available from 2009 until the 8th gen became available in Australia in 2014. (From memory!)

Cheers.

Grum.

You definitely need to do a bit more research, Mike...

1.  That picture is indeed a 6th gen, and clearly does have ABS (ring with slots inside of front brake rotor).

2.  No heat issues at all on 6th gen undertail exhaust.

3.  Can't be certain, but I don't think they sold a 2014 6th gen anywhere. I think 2013 was the last official year for the 6th gen in AU.  According to this site, the only VFR800 in 2014 is the 8th gen (and Crossrunner in Europe)...https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/index.php

4.  Fink's comment was in regards to the LED headlights on the 8th gen...great idea, and they look great, but not quite perfect execution on actual light output on the road.

5.  I would highly recommend going for a leftover new 2014-16 8th gen over a used 6th gen.

2 hours ago, DriverDave said:

You definitely need to do a bit more research, Mike...

Erm yeah, that's why I'm here asking questions of the experts :-P 

If you're new to the VFR the various generations are confusing, believe me.  For instance if the 6th Gen went from 2009-2014 (as Grum said) and the 8th Gen from 2014 onwards then where does the 7th Gen fit in?  (Or did we just not get that here in Australia?)

Anyway thanks for the replies - from all that and given the 6th Gen are getting on a bit now I think I will just concentrate on the 8th gen ones I've seen from 2014 on (as you suggested Dave).  Leaning towards a used bike but I will try to ride a 2017 back to back with a '16 and see if i can feel any difference and take it from there - which I could do if it would just  stop raining here in Sydney for one single lousy weekend. :-(

I'll read up on the headlight issue - sounds more like a nuisance than a serious flaw. And I don't do much night riding since I only use my bike for touring and weekend fangs.

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, nzmike said:

Erm yeah, that's why I'm here asking questions of the experts :-P 

If you're new to the VFR the various generations are confusing, believe me.  For instance if the 6th Gen went from 2009-2014 (as Grum said) and the 8th Gen from 2014 onwards then where does the 7th Gen fit in?  (Or did we just not get that here in Australia?)

Anyway thanks for the replies - from all that and given the 6th Gen are getting on a bit now I think I will just concentrate on the 8th gen ones I've seen from 2014 on (as you suggested Dave).  Leaning towards a used bike but I will try to ride a 2017 back to back with a '16 and see if i can feel any difference and take it from there - which I could do if it would just  stop raining here in Sydney for one single lousy weekend. :-(

I'll read up on the headlight issue - sounds more like a nuisance than a serious flaw. And I don't do much night riding since I only use my bike for touring and weekend fangs.

Nzmike.

I didn't say the 6th gen was from 2009-2014 I was stating that the Candy Red was from that period. The 6gen started in 2002 up to the new model released in 2014 being the 8th gen. If you look at the forum "VFR Models" Tab, it will show you all the dates for the different generations. Hope that clears things for you.

Cheers.

The 6th gen actually started in 2002, and the 7th gen is the VFR1200.  

You shouldn't find the headlight on the 8th gen a problem if you don't ride at night much.  Its biggest problem is leaning in the curves at night.  The light cuts off right next to you and you can't see into the corner.  As long as you go slow in the curves and don't lean much, it's pretty manageable in the dark.

Sorry about the misunderstanding Grum, I should have read your post more carefully.  I'll check those generations out as you suggested - I didn't realise the generations covered both the 800 and 1200 so that certainly explains the 7th gen.

So did Honda fix the headlight for the '17 version?  It wouldn't stop me buying one due to me rarely riding at night but you'd hope they'd have fixed that given how potentially dangerous it could be.

• Member Contributer

Its not dangerous just annoying. Where you would normally have a bit of light that spreads and gets duller towards the edge with conventional lights with led there is light then black.

just takes a bit of getting used to that's all.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, nzmike said:

So did Honda fix the headlight for the '17 version?  It wouldn't stop me buying one due to me rarely riding at night but you'd hope they'd have fixed that given how potentially dangerous it could be.

I haven't heard of any changes to the LED headlights for the 8th gen's tweaked '17 model.  The lights are wonderful but you can see the light cutoff issue that DriverDave and Fink mentioned when leaning into turns in this old vid of mine.  Having since ridden a few other conventionally lit bikes at night I now believe this condition is somewhat endemic to virtually all motorcycles - meaning when you take turns at night it's hard to see the corner in the distance - it's just more noticeable on the 8th gen because of the LEDs.  Most cars also have this issue which is why some high end cars have headlights that swivel in the direction of the turn.  I have lowered my headlights (easy to do on 8th gen) since filming this vid which has done away with much of the dead zone directly in front of the bike - I think I had them set very high for this vid.

3 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Having since ridden a few other conventionally lit bikes at night I now believe this condition is somewhat endemic to virtually all motorcycles - meaning when you take turns at night it's hard to see the corner in the distance - it's just more noticeable on the 8th gen because of the LEDs.  Most cars also have this issue which is why some high end cars have headlights that swivel in the direction of the turn.

Some BMW and Ducati bikes also have cornering lights.  It'd be nice if other manufacturers could start having them as well. (Are you reading this Honda?)

19 minutes ago, Rambler358 said:

Some BMW and Ducati bikes also have cornering lights.  It'd be nice if other manufacturers could start having them as well. (Are you reading this Honda?)

Especially if we can retro-fit them!

Modern bikes with factory "active" cornering lights that I know of right now....KTM Super Adventure, Ducati Multistrada, 2016 Yamaha FJR, BMW K1600GTL (adaptive headlight).  Other than the BMW, they all have full LED headlights with additional lights that come on as the bike leans over.  The BMW has an HID that can move when cornering.

I know the Harley baggers have had LED headlights for several years, but I've never heard of one with cornering lights.

There may be others as well.  As more manufacturers go the LED route, hopefully they will all figure out the need for good cornering lights.

That so-called "dead zone" in front of the bike is useless if lit anyway- at speed, no one can act fast enough to react to something illuminated there.  Lighting the "dead zone" draws your attention to the wrong zone.

I will take seeing better farther down the road, personally.

On 3/20/2017 at 1:34 PM, GatorGreg said:

VFRBrisbane, weird question, but does your heated grip switch light up red or green?  My '14 lights up red but I noticed that on Honda's Japanese website for the 2017 model it has a pic showing what appears to be a heated grip switch with a green light.  These sorts of things keep me up at night - LOL

2.png

Yep Green it is. They are damn effective too - can't leave them on "5" for long! Apologies for delay in reply.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, 2017VFR800FBrisbane said:

Yep Green it is. They are damn effective too - can't leave them on "5" for long! Apologies for delay in reply.

Thanks, now I can finally get some sleep!  LOL.  According to Audible's post above the red v. green heated grip switch may just be a regional difference instead of a new for '17 thing.  Weird.

Archived