2017 VFR 800 - is it out in the US yet? (It's not here in australia)

nzmike

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Shinigami said:

Additional insight can be found here:

http://www.honda.co.jp/VFR800F/

Even if your japanese isn't up to snuff, there are a few things to see- black frame, silver forks among them.

Great link, thanks!  Looks like the lucky bastards in Japan get all 4 colors: white, red, black, and silver.   Funny how the engine page says the bike has "hyper vtec".

VFR78:  "pearler"?   That's a good thing, right? LOL

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Great link, thanks!  Looks like the lucky bastards in Japan get all 4 colors: white, red, black, and silver.   Funny how the engine page says the bike has "hyper vtec".

Yes, it seems to me that it's a reasonably decent seller in the home market.

Mind you, I still see 5th gen police bikes quite often (I'm in japan 4-6 x year), which makes me think they must still be building them- or parts for them- on some level over there.

According the honda.co.jp page posted above, Google Translate tells me:

"we can further enhance the body color of the newly adopted digital silver metallic in addition to the continuing color Victory Red, Pearl Glare White, Darkness Black Metallic Directing fearlessness and luxury"

"Directing fearlessness and luxury"?  That's settled, I'm buying one in each colour!

On a more serious note I used xe.com to convert the price in Yen to AUD$ and they are not to far apart - seems we're not getting ripped off here in Oz on Japanese bikes as much as we think we are. :-)

i really am going to have to hunt down a white before making any decisions as everyone seems to like it the best - clearly the photos do it no justice.

I did have another question that is quite important for me - at present I have "normal" handlebars (ie: a round tube) on the R9T to which I can easily clamp my GPS or phone to for long trips and/or where I need directions but with the yoke arrangement on the VFR how do people manage to get GPS or phones attached?  This is actually quite a big point for me as 95% of my riding is on long trips so I really rely on having my GPS or phone to provide directions.

51 minutes ago, nzmike said:

i really am going to have to hunt down a white before making any decisions as everyone seems to like it the best - clearly the photos do it no justice.

The white looks like any other white until you get close to it, then you see the pearl metal flake.  

Thanks boozzie - should have searched first :-/

That looks like the best solution - anyone installed one on an 8th gen?  If so is it an easy install?  Looks like it but I am very good at screwing these things  up completely!

Edit: Ok, so I have read through that entire thread and found this which suggests it is very easy to install - and that's how we like 'em!

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/81271-new-and-improved-alternative-ram-mount/&do=findComment&comment=1034765

12 hours ago, fink said:

Also  a mount to the front of the tank securing  bolts. 

I read on that same forum that it was causing someone's tank to get scraped. 

Genuine 2017 VFR800Fs verified by H as the 10th digit in the VIN (and 12V charger socket on left fairing is other 2017 giveaway) now in Australia. Red and Silver only colour options. Red is available if you force it. despite what the Honda rep may tell the dealer. Don't get suckered on 2016 models being sold as 2017. Good deals too! Not much more $$ than the "2016" models of which some according to a reliable source were built as early as 2014-2015 and sit in the warehouse. I paid $11500 rideaway changeover for my low km 2014 CBR500RA on a 2017 VFR800F. PM me for details.

1 hour ago, 2017VFR800FBrisbane said:

Genuine 2017 VFR800Fs verified by H as the 10th digit in the VIN (and 12V charger socket on left fairing is other 2017 giveaway) now in Australia. Red and Silver only colour options. Red is available if you force it. despite what the Honda rep may tell the dealer. Don't get suckered on 2016 models being sold as 2017. Good deals too! Not much more $$ than the "2016" models of which some according to a reliable source were built as early as 2014-2015 and sit in the warehouse. I paid $11500 rideaway changeover for my low km 2014 CBR500RA on a 2017 VFR800F. PM me for details.

Thanks for that - that is really helpful to ensure I'm not getting sold an older one (though I may buy one anyway if I can get a really good deal).

I've already had my local bike shop lie twice to me regarding 2017 models, once telling me they are not in Australia yet (hence the title of this entire thread) and then again trying to sell me a '15 model as a '17 model.... really don't know why they do it as they just lost a sale. 

Sounds like you got the red?  I'll be happy with either/any colour, it's really the deal that will dictate what I end up with.

If it wasn't continually pi$$ing down here in Sydney I'd be out at a Honda dealer today test riding the '17 :-(

• Member Contributer

Which dealer did you go to who told the porkies? I assume by looking at the VIN plate you can see when the bike was manufactured rather than letting the salesbloke rabble on?

• Member Contributer
59 minutes ago, Rectaltronics said:

Any pics of the socket on the fairing??

Here you go:

3.png

You can also see it fairly well in these vids:

5 hours ago, nzmike said:

Thanks for that - that is really helpful to ensure I'm not getting sold an older one (though I may buy one anyway if I can get a really good deal).

I've already had my local bike shop lie twice to me regarding 2017 models, once telling me they are not in Australia yet (hence the title of this entire thread) and then again trying to sell me a '15 model as a '17 model.... really don't know why they do it as they just lost a sale. 

Sounds like you got the red?  I'll be happy with either/any colour, it's really the deal that will dictate what I end up with.

If it wasn't continually pi$$ing down here in Sydney I'd be out at a Honda dealer today test riding the '17 :-(

You will definitely get a better deal on a 2016 model, but the issue is not knowing how old last year's bike actually is. The bikes are most certainly in the country with either colour option available. I picked up my red one 3 days after placing a deposit and I was a bit of a prick by insisting on physically seeing the VIN # in person before I completed the purchase.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

Thanks.  Oh, crap, 3A max?  Guess I won't be plugging my electric clothing into that...

What ? were you honestly you expecting something heavier grade? 

Gives you 36 watts. 

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, fink said:

What ? were you honestly you expecting something heavier grade? 

Gives you 36 watts. 

LOL, silly me.

Note well, fuses, wiring, etc. are rated in amps, not watts.  If ya' wanna nitpick the wattage, that would depending on battery voltage and/or stator output.  {wink}

With 3A on tap I can choose heated gloves or heated socks, at most, and have just enough headroom to charge an iPhone at the same time.

Yeah, that's a bit MEH.  Oh well.

On another note, I wonder if Honda made any improvements to the TC on the 2017.

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, Shwat said:

You have heated socks..? 

Indeed I do!

Honestly I haven't used them yet, but I have had them for over three years.

I do love my Gerbing heated gloves (heated grips are interesting but do only so much) and positively adore my Gerbing heated jacket liner, which is good for around 6A by itself.

With 3A I can power only the gloves and safely have enough current left for an iPhone, but charging an iPad would put it dangerously on the edge.

I'm not trying to be a ball-breaker but that socket is basically just enough for some small consumer electronics like phones, XM or GPS receivers, etc.

5 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

Indeed I do!

Honestly I haven't used them yet, but I have had them for over three years.

I do love my Gerbing heated gloves (heated grips are interesting but do only so much) and positively adore my Gerbing heated jacket liner, which is good for around 6A by itself.

With 3A I can power only the gloves and safely have enough current left for an iPhone, but charging an iPad would put it dangerously on the edge.

I'm not trying to be a ball-breaker but that socket is basically just enough for some small consumer electronics like phones, XM or GPS receivers, etc.

The OEM Honda 12V socket that was installed on my 2015, is only good for 1A...so there!

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Corrugated said:

The OEM Honda 12V socket that was installed on my 2015, is only good for 1A...so there!

That, the absurd price and the utterly ridiculous choice of location is exactly why I did not buy it.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

LOL, silly me.

Note well, fuses, wiring, etc. are rated in amps, not watts.  If ya' wanna nitpick the wattage, that would depending on battery voltage and/or stator output.  {wink}

With 3A on tap I can choose heated gloves or heated socks, at most, and have just enough headroom to charge an iPhone at the same time.

Speaking of electronics - dare I ask how you came up with your username?  I can't be the only one wondering - LOL

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

LOL, silly me.

Keep yer yer knickers on dude.  What was said to offend you? 

Some heated clothing  manufacturers state wattage used not amps,where as others state amps.  

I know how wiring and fuses are rated. 

You  guys aren't getting it anyway.  

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

Speaking of electronics - dare I ask how you came up with your username?  I can't be the only one wondering - LOL

Not only may you ask - I might even answer!

I had a friend, who has since passed from cancer, who was an engineer for Boeing out in Wichita KS.  Brilliant fellow with a twisted sense of humor and a love of controversy.  He would go to trade shows for the company and there would be all these idiot salespeople who would come up to you, glance at your access badge quickly for your info then talk to you like they were chums as they tried to shill whatever widget or service it was they were promoting.  So he figured one year it would be great laffs to hear them ask "So, Jimmy, what do you do for Rectaltronics?" instead of "what do you do for Boeing?".  Then, with the bait on the hook, he would go on about this contrived technology of stereophonic rectal stimulation and see how long they'd go for it before they realized something wasn't quite right, and maybe even try to keep them engaged so they couldn't move on to their next mark.  This was pre-Internet days, by the way.

Anyway I thought it was the funniest effing thing I ever heard at the time.  Then one summer, during a booze and drug filled evening at his place with some other equally crazy friends, we all brainstormed for ideas and with a little more help I picked up the ball and ran with it, and made up a catalog in Microsoft Word.

I've kept the whole thing going partly because it still tickles my funny bone, and partly as a tribute to Jimmy.

http://www.rectaltronics.com/tribute.htm

The web site was pretty slick in its day but is in dire need of a makeover.  The graphics and concepts were a collaborative effort.  Most of the ad copy and tech mumbo jumbo is my own.  It seemed real enough back in the day that I would get sales questions by email and wholesale pricing requests from the likes of Fredericks of Hollywood.  Some of the sales questions were real eye-openers.  One of the other eye-openers was looking at the web site's access logs to see who was looking for what, and from where.  I never realized how, um, unintuitively different some of the Saudis were, for example.  Plus it was amusing to see others errantly caught in my web (like someone at NASA JPL looking for RS-232 information, LOL), then seeing how much they'd look around before they left.

PS fink, my knickers are on tight, no worries my friend...  ;-)

• Member Contributer

Haha - I had a feeling there was a funny story associated with it.  That's a nice way to remember your friend - but I'm afraid to click on that link LOL

Archived