2017 VFR 800 - is it out in the US yet? (It's not here in australia)

nzmike

Hi all,

As per the title, is the 2017 VFR800F out in the USA yet?  I nearly bought the revised model that came out in 2015 (is that the 8th gen?) but ended up with a BMW RnineT instead, which I've never regretted, but recently I've started to feel like I need a change (the R9T can be a handful!) and also a shift down to a smaller bike due to the outrageous costs in Australia of keeping a big bike (over 1000c) on the road. (We get stung for insurance twice plus registration and other costs are very high). 

So looking at new (or soon to be released) bikes I was happy to see there is a 2017 VFR800F model out but I'm trying to find out if it's changed much and if so, how?  Also, is it out in the USA yet?  If so, has anyone ridden one?  My local Honda dealer (Sydney City M/Cycles for anyone that's in Sydney) told me they have no idea when it will arrive here and are trying to get me onto the new Kwakka Z900 instead (which I also like) but I really want to try and wait until the new model comes out here so I can ride it and decide.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on the new model - I see it comes in a beautiful looking silver/gold colour now which I think looks way better than the red.

Discuss!!

vfr800f-tourer-2017-003.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that - had no idea it was here already.  That means Sydney City M/C basically lied bare-faced to me.... won't be buying from them!

I'll have to head out next weekend and have a ride if it's fine - or maybe tomorrow if they're open.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, nzmike said:

strange thing to post when the previous poster said it was available at bikebiz to test ride... didnt you read it?

I was referring to your original post about it being imported into the USA. Not OZ.   (Have you not read other posts which have said same).  Its out and about in Europe.

• Member Contributer

We probably won't ever get the '17 in USA, they still only have the '14 and '15 models listed on Honda's USA website, link:  http://powersports.honda.com/2015/interceptor.aspx

I started a thread on the other forum regarding the '17 and in it I posted that there are still something like 30 leftover '14/'15 models within 400 miles of me according to cycletrader - so for whatever reason the 8th gen just wasn't a big hit in the USA, link:  http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/52176-2017-8th-gen-VFR-vid-pics

AFAIK, the only things they changed for '17 are a revised exhaust, the addition of a power outlet as standard equipment, a new Digital Silver Metallic paint, and the frames are now black instead of silver.

A member of the other forum named SML from Australia said he saw a new silver '17 at a dealer just a few days ago but I don't know what city he's in.  I hate it when dealers lie about things not being available just so they can try to sell a customer what's on their showroom floor.

I was recently at the dealership that I bought my '14 from a year ago and the same white one that I sat on was still in the showroom. I certainly can't see dealers placing any orders for new ones.

I don't think it sold too well here in Oz either - very rarely see one on the road here.  My main criticism is that in red it does look pretty boring (only my opinion) - I think they really needed to jazz the colour scheme and/or fairing up a bit to make it look racier for this new model.  Anyway, it wouldn't put me off buying one as there is not much in the sub-1000cc sports-touring sector and that's really what I'm after, and if the silver and gold one looks as good in the flesh as it does in the pics I'd be a serious buyer.

The only thing is this - the new Z900 here is Oz is AU$13,490 ride away (and I could probably get up to $1000 knocked off for paying cash) whereas the VFR800 (the new model) is $16,500 RRP, though it's available for around $15,500 on bikesales.com.au.  So it will be interesting to see what the extra $2-2.5K gets you on the Honda - or maybe it's simply just overpriced?  The performance of the Z900 is much better than the VFR according to their respective specs but then there is another 120 cc on the Z to be fair.   The VFR does have heated grips and probably better electronics but I just can't help thinking it's over-priced.

• Member Contributer

Hi nzmike.

I know you're not keen on the Red but have you had a good look at the Black or White, we get all three colours in Aus. You may well get a much better deal on a 2015 - 2016 runout model, shop around. As to wether you go for the Z900 over the VFR is a personnel preference BUT do not buy one or the other without a good test ride.

As this is a VFR site we are all going to be fairly biased. But as for me, and now on my 4th VFR, I reckon Honda have the best build quality over all the Jap bikes. The VFR is designed to run on 91ron fuel and does so with no issues at all. I completed a run the other week doing 460k's before refuelling so it has excellent tank range. The Vee Four for me is such a nicer, more interesting engine than a standard in- line four, whack on an after market pipe and they sound real sweet. I personally find the looks of the VFR a lot nicer than the Z900. The Honda OEM pannier arrangement is fantastic on the VFR. The centre stand and single swing arm is a gem, chain adjustment is a breeze and you can never mis-align the front and rear sprockets, rear wheel removal is simple. I do my own servicing and find it relatively easy to work on for all general servicing. I could go on and on BUT it is a personal preference whichever way you go, just DON'T rush the process, fully assess the pros and cons for both bikes.

It appears there would be no difference in ride, fuelling or ergonomics between the 2017 and 2016 models, other than the different exhaust and colour schemes.

Good luck with your new bike hunt.

Cheers.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts grum :-)

I don't actually mind the red, but not keen on black bikes (they get too dirty) and the white I've only seen in photos AFAIK - will have to see if I can find one at a dealer and check it out. 

I'm sure I read the '17 version had some improvements on the engine as well - I'll see if I can find the article I read with the new features and post a link to it.

The Z900 is a bit ugly but at the price, if it can do most of what the VFR does it may be my next bike.  Having said that the VFR is more the type of bike I'm looking for, i.e: a sports-tourer that is frugal but also goes really well when it needs to.  I do also want to be able to attach proper panniers (and a topbox if possible) for touring so clearly the VFR is better suited for that.  Plus the lower seat and heated grips are a big plus for me over the Zed.  I have always loved VFR's and promised myself one day I'd own one so it's definitely at (or near) the top of my list.  FWIW I'm also looking at the Multistrada 950, Triumph Speed Cup and Yammie XSR900.... so there's quite a few bikes on my list right now.

Unfortunately I'm an absolute donkey when it comes to working on anything mechanical (I suddenly grow 10 thumbs then proceed to cut and bruise them all whilst breaking whatever I'm trying to fix) so I'd be getting it serviced (or bringing it to you with fist full of cash ;-) ) and I'm sure Honda services must be cheaper than my R9T services which are always north of $650.

Do you mind if I ask what your CTP, rego and insurance cost (roughly)?  We're both in NSW so it could give me a good idea of what to expect.  I'm (just) 50 and have a clean insurance record and no points off my license so hopefully that still counts for something these days.  No problem if you're not comfortable sharing this info :-)

Obviously I'm not going to make any decisions until I test ride it - I rode the '14 when it first came out and would have bought one had the R9T not swept me off my feet.  I think what I'll do is go to my favourite dealer (Worthingtons near Gosford) and see if they'll let me ride the '16 model back to back with the '17 model and see if I can detect any difference - if not I'd likely get a really good deal on the '16 so if I can I'd still be more than happy with the red if that's what they have.

(Sorry about the long post!)

• Member Contributer

Hi nzmike.

I'm in Victoria and my last Rego payment for the VFR totalled $593.70 (Aug 2016). The VFR in the Pearl White looks fantastic in the flesh, it wasn't available back when I bought my Red one, would have gone for the white if I had the choice.

Cheers.

Grum.

Oh sorry, I thought Sunbury was in NSW for some reason.  Don't know if you get stung with CTP in Vic but for me, because the beemer is 1200cc, it's an extra $660 p/y on top of rego (which is about the same) and insurance (about $700) - so we're talking $2K just to keep it on the road.... a big part of what i buy will be ensuring these costs come down if possible as I only ride with friends a couple of times a month and don't use it to commute.

i don't think I've ever seen a white '800F in dealers or even on BikeSales - did Honda even bring that colour in to Australia?

One last Q - have you got the stock pipe still on yours or did you change it?  If so, what did you put on?  If i buy one I definitely will look to change pipes ASAP.

• Member Contributer

IMGP0514.JPGNzmike . This one was on the showroom floor at Advantage Honda (Hoppers Crossing Vic) price was negotiable but around the $14,000 mark I have fitted an IXIL Exhaust and really like it, there are plenty of exhaust options now available for the 8th Gen. Have a good look through all the 8th gen threads there is a wealth of info there for you.

Cheers.

P1010078a.jpg

Thx, obviously the white is available here.

gotta say, your bike looks schmick! Love that pipe and the tail cover looks great too.... have you done any other mods?

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, nzmike said:

gotta say, your bike looks schmick! Love that pipe and the tail cover looks great too.... have you done any other mods?

"Schmick"?  Aussie's have the best slang!

The white VFR in the pic posted above by Grum is a leftover model cuz it has the original style exhaust and silver frame.  I'm pretty sure they are only producing the new '17 VFRs in red and the new Digital Silver.  I think they discontinued both black and white based on what I see on Honda's Aussie and UK websites which is a shame because I think my white '14 looks totally "schmick" - LOL

I think "schmick" is actually a Jewish word, though I could be wrong.... and I'm pretty sure I picked it up from an American movie at some stage - and no, it's not a word I hear Aussies use.  It's not even a word I use a lot myself but it just seemed to fit Grum's gorgeous looking VFR :-).

Can't wait to see the Digital Silver in the flesh - from the photos I've seen it does look seriously nice.

• Member Contributer
36 minutes ago, nzmike said:

I think "schmick" is actually a Jewish word, though I could be wrong.... and I'm pretty sure I picked it up from an American movie at some stage - and no, it's not a word I hear Aussies use.  It's not even a word I use a lot myself but it just seemed to fit Grum's gorgeous looking VFR :-).

Can't wait to see the Digital Silver in the flesh - from the photos I've seen it does look seriously nice.

LOL, I'm not Jewish but you might be confusing "schmuck" with "schmick"?  I've heard "schmuck" used all the time, but never "schmick".  "Schmick" is an awesome word I'm gonna have to add to my vocabulary - urban dictionary defines it as:

1. I say this in Australia to mean anything sick, cool, tight or excellent. 
Usually the item is new, shiny, fresh and mad bling-bling style. 
2. Can also be an said to mean 'cool' 'allright' 'OK' or 'yeah' in response to a question, to show your down with it.
1. "Man that Skyline is a Schmick ride." 
"Hey! Schmick shirt dude." 
2. "Let's listen to some Redman." 
"Schmick." 
"I'll come over later on." 
"Soundz Schmick." 

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, nzmike said:

Hi nzmike.

Only mods I've done are simple ones.

Fitted Kaoko Cruise Control (Throttle Locker). Removed the (bicycle, kinda "Schmuck" looking) front wheel side reflectors. Fitted PowerBronze slightly tinted double bubble windscreen, Fitted rear wheel tyre hugger. IXIL Exhaust. Sliced off the excess black plastic that hangs below the number plate. Replaced the VFR logo with the 6th gen version as it looks a lot "Schmicker" than the 8th gen font IMO.

Cheers.

Grum

P.S. As Fink stated - The tail cover comes with the bike as well as the separate pillion seat. I like the look of the bike with the tail cover on as well as it gives you slightly more storage space under the seat than you have with the pillion seat on.

Don't forget if you are partial to the White which looks great in the flesh you could get a good deal on a new 2015 - 2016 model.

6 hours ago, VFR78 said:

Grum,

Where did you get the 6th gen VFR logos from and how did you get the originals off?

FYI, this is where I got mine from...

Mark-VFR, Type 1

Removing the oem decals was quite easy.  Just take your time and slowly pull them off (they are basically just stickers).  I used a sharp edged piece of plastic to get the corners up, then pull them off.  When I did mine, they all came off clean with no residue left behind on the bike.

Archived