Tank Grips / Pads

bighawk

12 hours ago, fink said:

You are taking the piss aren't you. 

Just click on the add to cart. Select model and year. 

I'm not following your comment or your verbiage.  Revzilla is out of stock. Anyone know where I can buy a similar item made specifically for the 2014 VFR?

Thanks

Hey BH, does it have to be made by eazi grip or have that exact shape? 

http://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Honda/VFR800F/2015/

http://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Honda/VFR800F/2015/EZRG323/

You can order directly from them or from a US company (have to google search) that carries their products... 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, bighawk said:

I'm not following your comment or your verbiage.  Revzilla is out of stock. Anyone know where I can buy a similar item made specifically for the 2014 VFR?

Thanks

A lot more clearer now. Thank you.  

https://www.eazi-grip.com/tag/vfr800-14-16/

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, fink said:

A lot more clearer now. Thank you.  

https://www.eazi-grip.com/tag/vfr800-14-16/

Those are what I've got fitted, makes quite a difference to the feel of the ride  

For Y'alls info, I ordered a set of the R&G racing tank traction grips (and a few more items) direct from R&G in the UK.  Ordered it on the 9th, got here today - so about a week.  Pretty good shipping I think (I'm used to 1-2 months for Aliexpress orders - blech!)! 

The ones I received are NOT like the ones pictured on their website.  Pictured are plain black, one piece panels - nice.  Received were panels with 1" holes in them, one on each side, and two 1" circular decals with "R&G" on them - not so nice (see picture).  Their website doesn't show any holes or logos and doesn't offer choices with/without holes/logos.

I emailed them and requested a new set without any holes/logos and a return envelope for what I got - told them that I don't mind their logos/name on the other items I bought, just not on my tank.  Keep you updated... 

Btw, the panels feel a Lot like 3M Safety Walk rubber traction tape... 

20170315_182622 b.jpg

Samuel,

Thanks for posting!

They're on Twistedthrottle.com as well. 

How do they feel?  They look very thin, almost flat.  Do you think they'd actually grip?  I'm about to go with Eazy grips or Stomps that have the actual ridges that come up, looking for the most traction. 

Where are you in LA? I just moved to Playa.

I emailed them and requested a new set without any holes/logos and a return envelope for what I got - told them that I don't mind their logos/name on the other items I bought, just not on my tank.  Keep you updated... 

I'll be interested in if they get back to you.

1 hour ago, bighawk said:

Samuel,

Thanks for posting!

They're on Twistedthrottle.com as well. 

How do they feel?  They look very thin, almost flat.  Do you think they'd actually grip?  I'm about to go with Eazy grips or Stomps that have the actual ridges that come up, looking for the most traction. 

Where are you in LA? I just moved to Playa.

Hi BigHawk,

I think Revzilla might also carry them.

Here are a couple of more pictures comparing them to some gray rubbery 3M Safety Walk tape I have lying around at home - please excuse the wrinkly old man hands.  The RG panel rubber feels a little softer and a little more pliable than the 3M (but the 3M is also a bunch of years old and may have hardened up a little over that time).  The 3M surface feels more coarse or rough - the RG panel feels like what I imagine the 3M would feel like if it had been sanded down a little bit (same kind of texture, just the tops of crags aren't as sharp, if that makes any sense).  If you want traction, I think the 3M stuff would be grippier but I don't know how that might affect whatever is rubbing against it (e.g. would it cause excessive or early wear or damage?). 

The second picture gives a rough idea of how thick both are (about the same thickness).  Eyeballing both against a cheap plastic ruler gives an estimate of about 1-1.5mm thickness for each, including the paper backing - (measuring across both the 3M and RG loosely sandwiched together was about 3mm).  I do think they would improve grip but how much or how well would be pretty subjective - I've never used side tank panels before so have nothing to compare them to except naked tank/paint and it's been quite awhile since I rode (much less on a regular basis) so I'm not the best source for feedback on this - sorry!

Btw, TechSpec also makes protective products http://techspec-usa.com/product-overview.html  I bought a couple of Snake Skin tank protectors from Revzilla (mainly cause I wasn't sure which one I would like better) and then I found these last night http://www.ebay.com/itm/121567543366?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160647521997?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

so I might not use the TechSpec stuff as a tank protector after all... lol

Anyway, I mention TechSpec because they make 3 (maybe 4 now?) different types/thicknesses of products and if you want something thicker or more cushiony, they might be worth checking out.  The Snake Skin pads I got are about (eyeballing with that same cheap plastic ruler) 5mm thick, including the paper backing - TechSpec lists the Snake Skin pads as being .125" (= ~3.175 mm).  That being said, I don't know (didn't see it on their website) if they make anything for the 8th gen VFR (they do list 5th and 6th gen IIRC) - maybe pads for another year VFR, model of Honda, or other brand/model bike might work (kinda pricey to experiment though)? 

For experimenting, I think the 3M stuff (which I got at a local ACE hardware store) might be worth the time/money - I don't remember exactly how much the roll I got cost (actually, I don't even remember what I used it for - damn CRS!) but I don't remember it being too pricey http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1273891  The gray tape in the pictures is 2" wide.  I have 2" black 3M safety walk tape also but it's more like skateboard grip tape - very abrasive/sharp, like coarse sandpaper - and I don't remember if the black 3M also comes in rubbery material like the gray. 

I'm sorry I don't know what the Eazy or Stomps pads feel like... 

I've never really hung out in Playa but I've driven through/past there and it seems really nice.  Any noise from LAX?  I'm a little bit East of downtown - not as nice...  lol. 

Hey Rambler, will definitely keep you updated!

20170315_200624 b.jpg

20170315_200800 b.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just my tuppenceworth; I looked at R&G grips at a large national bike show last year and didn't like them. They feel cheap and are very rough plus they stick to your tank with adhesive.

I have a set of Tech Spec on my 1200 and they are the dogs danglies. No adhesive, grippy, look great and for you they're US-based.

Got a reply today - IMO, either a lack of understanding or a lack of customer service (thinking probably the latter).  Wrote a reply requesting either two circular pieces of plain grip material to fill in the holes or a return envelope and a refund - we'll see...

Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:32 AM
To: XXXXXXXX
Subject: RE: product received but not the same as pictured on your website

Hi there

The photos on the web site are now a old version that have been updated to include the disc logos for the traction grips

Kind regards

Tony

Sent: 16 March 2017 01:19
To: Tony Heap
Subject: product received but not the same as pictured on your website

Hi Sir/Ma'am,

I received my order today (# xxxxx) - thank you for the speedy shipping!

One thing I noticed right away (I have not had time to check all the other parts/items yet) is that the R&G Tank Traction Grips I received for my 2015 Honda VFR800 are Not as pictured on your website.  The ones I received have a 1" hole in them, one hole on each side, apparently for the fitment of small circular decals with your company initials on them. 

Your website does Not show a hole or a R&G logo/decal in the traction grip panel and it does Not offer an option for grip panels with or without a hole or R&G logo.  As you can probably tell, I prefer the grip panels as pictured on your website - No hole & No logo - just one piece, plain black.

For what it's worth, I don't mind having the R&G logo on my crash protectors (rear axle, bar ends, oval exhaust, etc) and side stand shoe - I just don't want it on my fuel tank! 

Can you please send me a new set of traction grip panels Without any holes or logos?  Also, can you send me an pre-paid envelope or shipping label so I can send the other ones back to you?

Thank you.

Respectfully,

XXXXXXXX

10 minutes ago, Samuelx said:

Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:32 AM
To: XXXXXXXX
Subject: RE: product received but not the same as pictured on your website

Hi there

The photos on the web site are now a old version that have been updated to include the disc logos for the traction grips

Kind regards

Tony

So basically you're SOL.  Classic bait and switch!

EDIT:  I just checked their web site, and they have not updated the pictures to include the logo!

Thanks  for the detailed review!  I'm leaning towards the stomp grips now that I see the thickness, I think its just general preference though.  Also, I think it looks okay with the R&G logo in there if they give you a problem.

Tons of noise from LAX - double pane everything is a must.  Just moved out from the east coast, a lot different but glad I can ride year round!  Let me know if you're ever in the area, I'll shoot you a PM.  I could use some help learning some new roads.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Skids said:

Just my tuppenceworth; I looked at R&G grips at a large national bike show last year and didn't like them. They feel cheap and are very rough plus they stick to your tank with adhesive.

I have a set of Tech Spec on my 1200 and they are the dogs danglies. No adhesive, grippy, look great and for you they're US-based.

What "material" do you have from Tech Spec?  I've used their snake skin, high fusion, and clear (which is discontinued afaik).  I'd like to try the C3 material but the Xline sounds interesting too.

The snake skin was really thick, but I needed the height in that application.  It's kind of difficult to get a professional looking beveled edge with just a blade/scissors so I ended up using a bench grinder to smooth the edges.

The clear was my favorite by a long shot, but it wore quickly.  It lasted maybe 2 seasons.

I've had issues with the adhesive not sticking well on the high fusion.  Maybe it was me, or maybe I got a bum sheet; it started peeling off at the corners within weeks.  Made it one season-ish before I got tired of smoothing it down all the time.

2 hours ago, Samuelx said:

Got a reply today - IMO, either a lack of understanding or a lack of customer service (thinking probably the latter).  Wrote a reply requesting either two circular pieces of plain grip material to fill in the holes or a return envelope and a refund - we'll see...

If you end up returning them, you should take a tracing of the pad design on heavy cardstock before they go.  Then you can order any general sheet tank grip and cut out the VFR pattern yourself.  May open up some options if the VFR isn't listed in the applications.  Alternatively, if you like the R&G material, you can cut out your own without the stupid holes.

Just now, bighawk said:

I could use some help learning some new roads.

Whereabouts in LA are you?  I'm in the Southbay/Torrance area and get up to the Rock Store and the Crest (ACH) quite often.  So if you don't mind hanging with a slow old guy, I can show you those sometime.

~Ron

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, bighawk said:

Thanks  for the detailed review!  I'm leaning towards the stomp grips now that I see the thickness, I think its just general preference though.  Also, I think it looks okay with the R&G logo in there if they give you a problem.

Tons of noise from LAX - double pane everything is a must.  Just moved out from the east coast, a lot different but glad I can ride year round!  Let me know if you're ever in the area, I'll shoot you a PM.  I could use some help learning some new roads.

Be warned that the stomp grip has been known to cause wear on your clothing/gear.  I've never personally used it so I can't be sure this is totally true, or the conditions that lead to the gear wear, so take my second hand info with a grain of salt.

I had a set of stomp grips on my 600rr and they really chewed up my leathers at the knees. I switched to tech spec and like them much better. They provide just the right amount of grip and comfort.

+1 on TechSpec.  I've got TechSpec on my 1200 and they are great.  I've got Stomp Grip on my track bike which provide great grip on the track... as others mentioned, almost too much for the street as they DO wear through leathers.

quick update - exchanged a couple more emails, they were finally willing to refund me but I told them that if they send me some leftover material, I could cut out circles and fill the holes myself.  They said they would so I'll just be waiting now... 

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, MadScientist said:

What "material" do you have from Tech Spec?  I've used their snake skin, high fusion, and clear (which is discontinued afaik).  I'd like to try the C3 material but the Xline sounds interesting too.

The snake skin was really thick, but I needed the height in that application.  It's kind of difficult to get a professional looking beveled edge with just a blade/scissors so I ended up using a bench grinder to smooth the edges.

The clear was my favorite by a long shot, but it wore quickly.  It lasted maybe 2 seasons.

I've had issues with the adhesive not sticking well on the high fusion.  Maybe it was me, or maybe I got a bum sheet; it started peeling off at the corners within weeks.  Made it one season-ish before I got tired of smoothing it down all the time.

I've only got the Snakeskin, which is holding fast and I like it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have Stompgrip tank pads on my fifth gen and I'm not impressed. The pads are the "volcano" kind, and it may be because of my leathers, since they have some type of plastic which wraps around the inside of my knees some. I can't get a real solid grip because of the plastic, I think. I have noticed some wear on my leathers where the leather contacts the tank pads.

Archived