pulls to the right...

thereisnospoon

• Member Contributer

My Y2k is pulling to the right, some, even on what I think are completely flat roads. They're Pirelli Angel GTs and are probably 50%. I just haven't experienced this with previous sets of tires (BTs, Michelins, etc.). I've been practicing stops (fairly reliable stoppies) so it's been really hard on the front, but I still just expected uniform wear.

Anyway, can (front?) tire wear cause a pull? just curious if others have noticed something like this. I know the best answer is to replace the tires but like i said, this is new for me, and i'm low on money right now.  I've had the fork apart a few times for oil and recently for seals and bushings, and checked the tubes for runout and there is zero.

Thanks for any input :)

ps.. i couldn't "find" anything specific to this, so if there's a thread, please point me.

• Member Contributer

If steering head bearing checks out, just ride the current tires out and i'm sure that all will be OK when you replace them.

• Member Contributer

STEERING HEAD BEARINGS 101

If your steering head bearings are too tight the bike will weave and
not seek it own center... if you're steering head bearings are loose
you'll notice a pronounce clunk during braking... I don't use torque
figures rather I raise the front wheel off the ground and tighten the
steering head bearings until the bars lock then I back off the nut
until the bars free wheel with a slight drag... with this method you
find that sweat spot and avoid over tightening and under tightening
even if you upgrade to taper roller bearings...

Experiment to see if the tire in the problem... first pull the tire off the rim

and mount it in the opposite direction and see if the tire now pulls to the left...

• Member Contributer

Another possibility is that your front axle is not correctly positioned in the left clamp. When installing the axle, it is possible to end up pushing the ends of the forks together so that the wheel is no longer absolutely centred.

You can try loosening the axle bolt and the clamps on both sides, then bounce the forks hard a few times, tighten the axle, bounce again and then tighten the right clamp, bounce again and then tighten the left clamp. This will allow the left fork to come to it's most natural and aligned position on the axle.

You can take this a step further, and add the upper triple clamp to the process, in which case I would tighten this up again before proceeding to the others.

On 3/10/2017 at 0:33 PM, BusyLittleShop said:

STEERING HEAD BEARINGS 101

If your steering head bearings are too tight the bike will weave and
not seek it own center... if you're steering head bearings are loose
you'll notice a pronounce clunk during braking... I don't use torque
figures rather I raise the front wheel off the ground and tighten the
steering head bearings until the bars lock then I back off the nut
until the bars free wheel with a slight drag... with this method you
find that sweat spot and avoid over tightening and under tightening
even if you upgrade to taper roller bearings...

Experiment to see if the tire in the problem... first pull the tire off the rim

and mount it in the opposite direction and see if the tire now pulls to the left...

Hi Busy, I have a question for you completely unrelated to this thread (sorry).  What happened to your 100k mile BELT-O-CEPTOR? Did it finally drop a valve or?  Did you ever replace valves or valve springs on that thing? That was you right? If it wasn't sorry.  

• Member Contributer
58 minutes ago, jrodrims27 said:

Hi Busy, I have a question for you completely unrelated to this thread (sorry).  What happened to your 100k mile BELT-O-CEPTOR? Did it finally drop a valve or?  Did you ever replace valves or valve springs on that thing? That was you right? If it wasn't sorry.  

Belt-o-Ceptor was sold to my USAF buddy Tod... he has not mentioned a drop valve or any other engine related problems... so it wasn't me...  

1 hour ago, BusyLittleShop said:

Belt-o-Ceptor was sold to my USAF buddy Tod... he has not mentioned a drop valve or any other engine related problems... so it wasn't me...  

What I meant to say is that it was you who built the belt-o-ceptor, a legend among us VF500F owners because of the astoundingly high mileage.  How many miles when you sold it to your buddy?  Most don't make it past 20k miles.  

• 2 months later...

Archived