Cannibalizing 5th Gen Parts

Bret

• Member Contributer

I lived in SF for 14 years - loved it and started using sfdownhill while there. Sounds like you enjoy it too. It is the greatest place to motorcycle and bicycle from [There's even decent surfing!]. Work and life have me in San Diego now. I still do projects in the city, and I'll look you up, especially if I ride the VFR to get there.

The Honda parts fiche show all 49-state VFRs and 2000-2001 CA VFRs using the same camshafts. Honda indicates that only 1998-1999 CA VFRs have the neutered camshafts. You've probably got the same cams in your 49 state 99 and your CA Y2K.

The Honda parts fiche show all 49-state VFRs and 2000-2001 CA VFRs using the same camshafts. Honda indicates that only 1998-1999 CA VFRs have the neutered camshafts. You've probably got the same cams in your 49 state 99 and your CA Y2K.

I'd love to connect next time you're up here. And this news that 00-01 cams are the same across the board is awesome! I will check the fiche later tonight to see if 98-99 49st and 00-01 CA cams are identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

She has arrived!! The 49 state Wolf bike has been delivered!!!! 3532716ea39b8729349fcaeaad8b98bf.jpg

And here she is next to her low mileage CA sister: 711cf21828604733d5ed36a4340e05ac.jpg

The Wolf system sounds the business. Taking them both out back to back tomorrow but already leaning toward moving the Wolf system and red tank and panels to the CA bike.

Ah the projects!! For shits and grins, I thought I'd share my non V4 project which is a bit more involved. Just getting started on her.
9996244e2be2065bd106ae09e1359c90.jpg

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Bret said:

She has arrived!! The 49 state Wolf bike has been delivered!!!! 3532716ea39b8729349fcaeaad8b98bf.jpg

And here she is next to her low mileage CA sister: 711cf21828604733d5ed36a4340e05ac.jpg

The Wolf system sounds the business. Taking them both out back to back tomorrow but already leaning toward moving the Wolf system and red tank and panels to the CA bike.

Ah the projects!! For shits and grins, I thought I'd share my non V4 project which is a bit more involved. Just getting started on her.
9996244e2be2065bd106ae09e1359c90.jpg

Brave man- 2 1/2 projects at once? I cant do that, I made myself to swear to only 1 at time bcause, any more, 2 or more projects - chances increase that any get done at all in a reasonable timeframe.

Btw - whadya got going on there?

Brave man- 2 1/2 projects at once? I cant do that, I made myself to swear to only 1 at time bcause, any more, chances increase that any get done in a reasonable timeframe. Btw - whadya got going on there?

Ha! You're not helping me feel any better. ;) The VFR projects are not super involved. I'm likely only swapping exhausts from headers back and maybe the red/ yellow bodywork/ tank from the 49er to the CA model, then selling the 49er. The other project has been evolving since I picked her up as a stock '93 900RR in 2007. I did a video around the VFR swingarm mod a few years ago, during its last incarnation (see link below) 

900RR SSSA Swap: 

Back then I was running an early 00s R6 subframe/seat/tail. Plan for her now is to do a complete re-wire using motogadget/ german gear, USD fork/ front end swap and keep the lines as minimal as possible so as to accentuate the wide wheel/ tire and massive frame. I think I landed in a good place to start with the 1098 subframe you can see in the image above that I posted yesterday. 

The CBR will be used as my in-city, lane-splitting, urban assault vehicle while the VFR will be my highway eating and occasional 2-up riding distance bike. As you can see, I have a bit of a Honda problem. 

So today I removed the Wolf system from the 49er.

IMG_0326.thumb.JPG.6f6e75e9d8178fb28fc08c49e3bd6c09.JPG

IMG_0363.thumb.JPG.2f34799fd6124db7f4cae19cc53a4d40.JPG

I'm still deciding which color I will ultimately keep on the low mileage bike (now wearing yellow) because I DO like the red and I also understand that yellow is a bit more rare.

While seeing how simple the Wolf system is, I couldn't help wondering why nobody here or on VFRW has tried replicating it (battery box/fender) for a limited run with a set of off the shelf/modern pipes.

IMG_0364.thumb.JPG.f93069d07d2fc31bcca0a472d25486e6.JPG

Here are both bikes together. Anyone have a preference or solid argument one paint scheme or the other? Body panels and tanks for in similar shape with the yellow panels being a tad cleaner.

IMG_0360.thumb.JPG.670486353e58852afcc67752e49bda21.JPG

FWIW,  I like the yellow just because it's different and not as popular,  but that red is hard to beat.  Honda should have made white an option IMO. On the exhaust question, IMHO as cool as the wolf system is.  I willing to bet it weighs more than a single high mount, and just a tad to complicated.  IDK,  just my take, lighter is better.  I've always wondered why Honda did what they did with the 6th gens knowing weight is a penalty especially up high like that.  

34 minutes ago, RVFR said:

I'm willing to bet it weighs more than a single high mount, and just a tad to complicated.  IDK,  just my take, lighter is better.  I've always wondered why Honda did what they did with the 6th gens knowing weight is a penalty especially up high like that.  

You are correct that the Wolf is heavier than a standard single high-mount, but only by the weight of the extra exhaust can on the Wolf system. Totally agree that white should have been an option. I was always totally down with the white 3rd gen: 

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 8.16.30 PM.png

• Member Contributer

Thanks for sharing the great photo of a white 3rd gen. I can just pore over the details of it...left exit exhaust w silver primaries, front rotor carriers, seat...

• Member Contributer

One reason why it wasn't duplicated at the time may be the clearance issues.  I can't remember which generation it was, but Wolf eventually had to come out with a fix for the lack of clearance for one of the VFR models.  There were also very few 80mm exhaust cans available to use.  I have several sets of Lasers, but their design isn't to everyone's taste.

P1030050xy.thumb.jpg.3702a6f2054316b2118c009e18662a48.jpg

Ciao,

Officially made the switch. Extremely happy with everything save having to bolt the Wolf gear onto a stock CA header.

Archived