raw gas spraying out of the exhaust

tuandino

Hello to all fellow VFRers!

First, I would like to thank all the members on this board for providing such a vast wealth of knowledge on VFR. Because of this board, it encouraged me to get a 6th gen VFR roughly 2 years ago.  I've been loving it ever since!  It rides great and never give me any trouble. It was bone stock when I got it. So far I added a few mods : 2 brothers exhaust, 02 sensor delete, PAIR valve delete, Helibars, Sargent seat.  I have the Power Commander but haven't had a chance to install it yet.  A few months ago, I took off the gas tank to have it painted. While it was gone,  I got side tracked by a few other projects at home.  This weekend, I was able to put the tank back on the bike.  I reconnected all the electrical wires and hoses as I had marked them before I took it off.  The bike started right up. However, a few seconds later, I smelled raw gas coming out of the exhaust and notice that it's literally spraying gas from the exhaust can!  I then shut it off and checked everything again including checking the spark plugs.. All seems good to me.  Started the bike a few times after,  but it still spraying gas every time.. .    I'm baffled and confused :(    I should also mention that I put fresh fuel in the tank, so fuel staleness isn't an issue.   I think I have reached my max mechanical skills on troubleshooting this.  I'm reaching out to all of you for help. Pretty please ????  I've searched the board but did not come up with any hit for similiar issue.    Thanks in advance for your help.

Best wishes from fellow VFRer in Houston, TX

unnamed.jpg

18 minutes ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Is the gas tank venting properly?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I can certainly check again though...  I didn't see any cracks or clogged up air vent.   What else do i need to look out for? besides cracked or clogged up air vent?

I would check to see if the tank is building pressure. Specifically, if open the cap, when it is spraying gas, do vapors rush out.

Also you might want to check the fuel pressure regulator, maybe the FPR vacuum line got pinched.

31 minutes ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

I would check to see if the tank is building pressure. Specifically, if open the cap, when it is spraying gas, do vapors rush out.

Also you might want to check the fuel pressure regulator.

hmmm... good idea... i haven't thought about open the gas cap while it's spraying gas out of the exhaust.  Let me do that tonight. Thanks. 

If the fpr gets damaged it can leak gas into the vacuum lines. Also maybe something weird could have happened with the EVAP canister if you mixed up the lines.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

As per CandyRedRC46. If the Fuel Pressure Regulator diaphram fails it will dump excess fuel into cylinders 3 and 4 via the vac hoses. Symptoms will be terrible running and Number 3 exhaust can appear cold. No fault codes displayed.

You may also have some bad or dirty injectors not properly shutting off.

Hope this helps.

thanks for all your help.  It is indeed the Fuel Pressure Regulator. It wasn't related to the fuel tank at all, like how i was thinking in the beginning.The exhaust, intake manifold, etc.. are full of gas.  I dont think I have time to get it fixed myself so I handed off to a reputable local shop to get it done.  Cann't wait to get it back to ride.

Archived