VFR ride in St. Augustine, Fla - May 20th with vintage bike show!

GatorGreg

• Member Contributer
Hey all, since I'm jealous I can't go to R3 in Cali I decided to do my own scenic ride on the so-called "Daytona Loop" here in Florida on Saturday, May 20th.  In addition, I'll be checking out a vintage motorcycle show featuring Japanese bikes!  Any of you VFR people are welcome to tag along.  If anyone else shows up than I will call it the "G3" for "GatorGreg Groupride" - LOL.   I figure there's got to be a few other people in the southeast who can't make it all the way to Cali for R3, so you're welcome to tag along with me on G3.   I've never done this route before, but I would estimate it would take no more than 2.5 hours plus whatever time is spent at the Castillo.  If you're interested in going please post up here!

Preliminary plan for G3:

Saturday, May 20th

8:00am - 9:00am: Meet and greet at the Murray Bros. Caddyshack at World Golf Village near the intersection of I-95 and International Golf Parkway - address is 455 S. Legacy Trail, St. Augustine

9:00 - about noon:  G3 ride to the "Daytona Loop" which is actually closer to Ormond Beach between Flagler Beach and Daytona Beach.

Rougly noon:  Lunch at the Caddyshack

1:00 - 4:00pm: Check out bikes at the bike show

4:00pm - ?:  Anything goes - I'm not responsible, LOL.  One idea I have though is to repeat the group ride for folks who can't arrive in time for the morning ride - but for the afternoon ride I'd do the Daytona Loop portion in reverse for a new experience. Also, I wouldn't mind ending up at The Columbia for dinner and a mojito or two - one of my favorite restaurants of all time!  http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/Menus-By-Location/Locations/St-Augustine-Historic-District

Tentative G3 route is as follows:

Caddyshack to International Golf Parkway
International Golf Parkway east to U.S. Highway 1
U.S. Highway 1 south to San Marco Ave.
San Marco Ave. south to King St. in St. Augustine.
Possible photo-op break / sight seeing tour of the Castillo de San Marcos while we're there ($10.00 admission)
King St. east across Bridge of Lions to Anastasia Blvd. /A1A/ Ocean Shore Blvd.
A1A / Ocean Shore Blvd. south to High Bridge Road.
Beginning of "Daytona Loop"
High Bridge Road west/north to Walter Boardman Road.
Walter Boardman Road west to Old Dixie Hwy / North Beach Street
Old Dixie Hwy / North Beach Street south to State Road 40 / West Granada Blvd.
State Road 40 / West Granada Blvd. east to John Anderson Drive.
John Anderson Drive north to High Bridge Road.
End of "Daytona Loop"
Back to the Caddyshack at World Golf Village in St. Augustine for lunch

After lunch at Caddyshack we'll check out the 2017 Riding into History Motorcycle Concours (Honoring the Japanese Motorcycle) at the World Golf Village which runs from 10:00am to 4:00pm ($10.00 admission goes to K9's for Warriors) :  https://ridingintohistory.org/
From their website:  "The 18th Annual Riding Into History Concours d’Elegance will feature 300-400 antique, vintage, race and custom bikes from all over America. Last year’s event was a huge success, raising $40,000 for our charity, K9s For Warriors. This year’s event promises to be bigger and better and we hope to match or exceed our donation of last year.  In addition to the array of beautiful bikes, there will be exhibitors, dealers, food, entertainment and exhibitions. And you can meet our Grand Marshals Yvon and Miguel Duhamel!"

Bikes-Under-Trees.jpg

There's also a fancy dinner planned as part of the bike show on Friday the 19th but I haven't decided if I'm going to it or not:  https://ridingintohistory.org/grand-marshal-dinner-registration/

Places to stay overnight:
Camping near St. Augustine:   https://www.visitstaugustine.com/things-to-do/camping  (I've camped at Anastasia State Park on the beach - very nice!)
Hotel at World Golf Village:   http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/jaxbr-world-golf-village-renaissance-st-augustine-resort/  (Pretty nice hotel but a little pricey).
Hotel at St. Augustine:  http://www.casamonica.com/  (Awesome hotel with its own private beach club - very expensive but worth it).
(Of course there are hundreds of other places to stay in St. Augustine/Daytona Beach/Orlando area but these are just a few places close by that I have stayed at and can recommend.)

• Member Contributer

We've now got at least 4 VFRs going :wink:  Post up if interested in coming along!

VFR Dave ('14 VFR800 white)  Orlando, FL

GatorGreg ('14 VFR800 white) Orlando, FL

burnes45 ('97 VFR750)  Jacksonville, FL

BikerBoyNeo  ('14 VFR800 red)  Montgomery, AL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Only 14 days away! Weather Channel app is predicting high/low temps for St. Augustine of 87/70 with sunny skies and a 0% chance of rain!

• Member Contributer
On 5/9/2017 at 11:14 AM, Jon28 said:

Might be down.  Have to see how work looks closer to that date.  Good job putting it all together!

Awesome - hope you can make it!

• Member Contributer

THREE DAYS to go! Bring some rain gear - current forecast is 85 degrees with a 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms in the morning. If it's really bad in the morning we'll just skip the AM group ride, meet at the Caddyshack at noon for lunch as planned, go to the vintage bike show afterwards and do the group ride in the afternoon.

• Member Contributer

Gator, I won't be attending. My work schedule changed and I'm headed to the Spring Memorial Ride. Leaving in about an hour. Hope you have a great time. 

• Member Contributer
On 5/17/2017 at 3:40 PM, burnes45 said:

Gator, I won't be attending. My work schedule changed and I'm headed to the Spring Memorial Ride. Leaving in about an hour. Hope you have a great time. 

Sorry to hear that Burnes - I was looking forward to seeing your '97.  Thanks for letting me know and hopefully we can get together at another meet in e future.

• Member Contributer

Less than 24 hours to go!!! I've been contacted by a couple guys who say they won't be there in time for the morning ride but still want to meet up. If you're not an early riser then just be at the Caddyshack at noon for lunch. We'll do another group ride after we check out the bike show! Should be great weather - forecast for St. Augustine tomorrow is only a 10% chance of rain with mostly sunny skies and a high of 88 - perfect!

• Member Contributer

Gator. Just got back. Hope you guys had a great time. Hated to miss it but I'm hoping someone will post some pictures. I all ways enjoy this event and hated to miss it. 

Archived