4TH Gen rear tire hugger

• Member Contributer

The PO of my bike cut down the rear fender and part of the chain guard in an effort to "clean up" the rear of the bike. He did do a good job of it and it looks nice enough.

But I'm a tad on the practical side and I live in Maine where its snowy, wet, muddy and cruddy 11 1/2 months a year. I'm OK with some type of fender on the rear.

My first thought was to install a tire hugger, but the ones I've found so far seem to be in the $165-$200 range. Fair enough, but not in the budget.

Has any one here retrofitted a less expensive alternative?

I did look at going back to the OEM fender a while back, but found that quite a few had been altered like mine. Besides if I can find a tire hugger that works I have to admit it would look better :)

2 hours ago, FromMaine said:

The PO of my bike cut down the rear fender and part of the chain guard in an effort to "clean up" the rear of the bike. He did do a good job of it and it looks nice enough.

But I'm a tad on the practical side and I live in Maine where its snowy, wet, muddy and cruddy 11 1/2 months a year. I'm OK with some type of fender on the rear.

My first thought was to install a tire hugger, but the ones I've found so far seem to be in the $165-$200 range. Fair enough, but not in the budget.

Has any one here retrofitted a less expensive alternative?

I did look at going back to the OEM fender a while back, but found that quite a few had been altered like mine. Besides if I can find a tire hugger that works I have to admit it would look better :)

Mine is altered nicely like yours, as well. I just have to put a little LED light under the tail light to illuminate the license plate. I wonder if you were to mock up a cardboard hugger with the integrated mounting system like something German or Italian what it would cost to have it 3D printed. Maybe even wrap it with a carbon fibre look sheathing to finish it.

Cheers,

Glenn

1 hour ago, 750 said:

Are 3rd/4th gens interchangeable? 

The ones I saw were for both 3rd & 4th gen. I saw one that was listed for 2nd gen as well. Not sure about the mounting since the swingarm is different, but they all were the the ones that covered the top forward portion of the tire and had the integrated chain guard. My first thought was the type that is positioned sort of behind the tire in the upper quadrant, but picturing that now, it just wouldn't suit the VFR. The type that is available from all the makers I saw look GREAT.

This is what is on my Trophy. I have to have a good look at the bikes to see how it might fit, but I bet a clever guy could make it look at home on a VFR. This one is in MI and free shipping in the USA. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Triumph-Trophy-900-Rear-Fender-Hugger-Chainguard-S079537-10A-/121566445710?hash=item1c4decc08e:g:2dYAAOxypNtShp4p&vxp=mtr .

Cheers,

Glenn

• Member Contributer

I had a Pyramid hugger once.  Well, it's a hugger.  Silly bracket on mine.  The early and late RC36 swing arms are slightly different, but I don't know if they're different in a way that matters for mounting a hugger.  Possibly...but you can always make your own brackets if you're handy.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Glenn, Bryan, JZH Thanks for the input. Seeing that Pyramid hugger makes me want to kick myself. I used a bunch of their stuff when I was working in the UK back in 2015 to repair my 91 VFR wheel bearings, air filter, brakes and fork seals, etc.. Would have been so easy to stick one in my luggage when I flew back home...........wish I had known they make huggers for the 4th Gens.

But I know now, I'll see what shipping would be to Maine. If it looks out hand I'll call in some favours from some guys I know/helped when I was over in Old Blighty.

• Member Contributer

The pound Sterling has lost a lot of its value vs the USD, so fill yer boots!

Ciao,

On 3/7/2017 at 4:54 PM, FromMaine said:

Glenn, Bryan, JZH Thanks for the input. Seeing that Pyramid hugger makes me want to kick myself. I used a bunch of their stuff when I was working in the UK back in 2015 to repair my 91 VFR wheel bearings, air filter, brakes and fork seals, etc.. Would have been so easy to stick one in my luggage when I flew back home...........wish I had known they make huggers for the 4th Gens.

But I know now, I'll see what shipping would be to Maine. If it looks out hand I'll call in some favours from some guys I know/helped when I was over in Old Blighty.

Also inquire about the added cost of shipping two together. If splitting it would make it less painful I can get money to you. Then I could come get it whenever we are both in Maine.

I decided to do some looking around. Found a place that will ship one for 132, two for 247.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived