Cooked starter wire?

boOZZIE

• Member Contributer

I tried starting my 6g after about a week of not riding her (cheating on her with cbr1k) & she wouldn't fire, ...

no fuel pump sound.

I checked the A Main fuse first (A&B fuse ok) which seemed a bit tuff to extract. Once out it was obvious why, the connecting wires in particular the red wire had burnt a hole thru the plastic. (Picture below )

So my question is what is the cause of this? Other problems? 

20170228_163522.jpg

• Member Contributer

When connectors get a little corrosion in them, the resistance jumps. More resistance for a given current produces more heat, leading to a melted connector body. So your root cause is most likely corrosion. A good clean and addition of dielectric grease for prevention would be in order.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Cooked wire was not the cause of the fuel pump not priming, a wire connection was backing out/separating from the fuel pump.

• 3 weeks later...

This is what happens when you play with fire (CBR1K)--you get burned! Stick with your steady GF--she may not be quite as fast, but she knows how to treat you right... ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can get a replacement connector from eBay but the wires are too small so you will want bigger wires on the red wires.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Tightwad said:

You can get a replacement connector from eBay but the wires are too small so you will want bigger wires on the red wires.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Yep got a replacement connector. 

Was able to cut down original wires, if it happens again I'll have to replace them.

I'll check when home tonight, those red wires in the background look like a bigger gage....

Yep B main fuse wire is of a bigger gage...as I shake a fist at HONDA

Archived