Tracked the 8th Gen over the weekend

Matty231

• Member Contributer

I'll be riding my 2000 at Summit Point main on May 8th --there's a Coleman Powersports trackday event in conjunction with Team Promotion -- they have Sunday the 7th on the Shenandoah circuit and Mon the 8th for Main.  It's $99...which is dirt cheap for a trackday!!!  Just an FYI  Go to the Coleman Powersports websight or call them and see how to join up.  I got an email...its in conjuction with Kawasaki and you can test the new 300, the 650 and at least one other model...

Matt

• Member Contributer

You look pretty confident in those turns on that wet track.  I'd probably be nervous with it being that wet.  But here in Cali, its always dry.......

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, smoke4ndmears said:

I was pleasantly surprised by the RC79's competence at the track. Front brake is mediocre with OE pads and lame master cylinder, but otherwise I was very satisfied. There is something to be said for riding a slow bike fast:

EXCELLENT video smoke!  I think I only saw you get passed 5 times but you always reeled them right back in on the turns and you did a hell of a lot of passing yourself!  Seemed like you were clearly the most skilled rider - how long have you been riding? What kind of bikes were you up against?  I think I saw at least one Ducati (yellow).  What level riding was this group?  Where did you have the camera mounted and what kind?  Did they make you take your centerstand off?  Do you have the quickshifter?  Any other mods?  Sorry for all the questions.

8 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

EXCELLENT video smoke!  I think I only saw you get passed 5 times but you always reeled them right back in on the turns and you did a hell of a lot of passing yourself!  Seemed like you were clearly the most skilled rider - how long have you been riding? What kind of bikes were you up against?  I think I saw at least one Ducati (yellow).  What level riding was this group?  Where did you have the camera mounted and what kind?  Did they make you take your centerstand off?  Do you have the quickshifter?  Any other mods?  Sorry for all the questions.

I've been riding for about... 28 years? Something like that. Don't be fooled, this was just the Intermediate group. I have a CCS racing license but I'm way back of the pack in a race. There were a few Panigale's in the group (one of them was clearly a fast rider, the other is the one I mix it up with some). Camera was a friends go-pro hero session, and the mount is kind of halfway below the windscreen on the nose. Real nice camera, which I had inadvertently switched to a 4:5 aspect ratio. Centerstand was still on -as long as it doesn't flop around they are ok with it. I do have the QS, and I have it converted to reverse-shift pattern. Slip-on and pair block-off plates are the only other mods. 

7 hours ago, timmythecop said:

passing dudes going into and out of turn 10?

You are a savage.

Great laps !

Riding with properly fast people (AMA racers) has taught me that you can pass anywhere on this track!

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, smoke4ndmears said:

I've been riding for about... 28 years? Something like that. Don't be fooled, this was just the Intermediate group. I have a CCS racing license but I'm way back of the pack in a race. There were a few Panigale's in the group (one of them was clearly a fast rider, the other is the one I mix it up with some). Camera was a friends go-pro hero session, and the mount is kind of halfway below the windscreen on the nose. Real nice camera, which I had inadvertently switched to a 4:5 aspect ratio. Centerstand was still on -as long as it doesn't flop around they are ok with it. I do have the QS, and I have it converted to reverse-shift pattern. Slip-on and pair block-off plates are the only other mods. 

Riding with properly fast people (AMA racers) has taught me that you can pass anywhere on this track!

Thanks Smoke!  It's great to see that the 8th gen is a bike that has very good track capabilities when in the hands of a skilled rider - your vid is actually the best video I've seen of what an 8th gen can do on a track!    I hope you don't mind (let me know if you want me to delete it) but I reposted your vid at the bottom of page 1 of this thread on the other forum to help illustrate that the 8th gen is no slouch.  In fact anytime someone disparages the 8th gen as a fat pig, etc etc, I will just repost your vid and telll them to STFU - LOL

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/53067-17-VFR-v-17-Ducati-SuperSport-S-(MCN-Comparo)

12 hours ago, smoke4ndmears said:

I think I got turn 10 right like 10% of the time. But I'm my defense, it was "Slippery Point" back then. Either way, you have great lines there!

• Member Contributer

Very nice; I enjoyed it. Looked like a fast track.

• 3 weeks later...

Why is it the one pass looks like the other rider turned into you and you blew right passed him like a pro rider!!!? Very impressive! I take it you kinda like the 8th Gen? ;)

On 5/24/2017 at 9:23 PM, Tews19 said:

Why is it the one pass looks like the other rider turned into you and you blew right passed him like a pro rider!!!? Very impressive! I take it you kinda like the 8th Gen? ;)

The swiss army knife of sport bikes!

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I also thoroughly enjoyed watching your riding video-I was amazed how you would lose ground on the long straight then reel the faster bikes back in on the brakes and several of your passes were very impressive.  It was nice to see a VFR looking racy.  How fast were you managing on that long straight?

21 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

I also thoroughly enjoyed watching your riding video-I was amazed how you would lose ground on the long straight then reel the faster bikes back in on the brakes and several of your passes were very impressive.  It was nice to see a VFR looking racy.  How fast were you managing on that long straight?

I'm recalling mid 150's before I started braking. 

Archived